RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm AR

Boolit Buddy
    The 9mm AR will drive you nuts half or more of the barrels have no throat. I have 5 different barrels 3 would not chamber anything but 115gr. round nose. I got a clymer chamber reamer all now are way more accurate and will chamber up to 160gr. of any flavor and they are way more reliable.

Banned

Well I talked to a few people last night and this AM. And found out that most of the barrels seem to be all treated with melonite and will not be able to be reamed. Already talked to someone that ruined a couple reamers trying to ream some throats. The melonite is harder than hard chrome.

I also sent FM Products a email and asked them about shooting cast bullets in their uppers. They kind of beat around the bush about cast. But said they have thousands of uppers out there that people reload for and have had no reports of anyone having problems with cast in their barrels yet. But that they would really like to hear back from me what I find out if I do choose their upper as they have no knowledge of cast in them.

One thing I have seen about FM Products is they will stand behind their uppers 100% no matter what the issue is. Even if the issue was caused by the customer. Problem is no one has what I want in stock right now.

Boolit Grand Master

Stern Defense barrels have generous throats.
    https://getstern.com/barrels/barrels-9mm/

Boolit Master
    Uncle Jim shoots cast through his FM 9mm AR and gets nice groups too!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XdYdxd_iYOk

Primary Arms has good prices on their uppers.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Brand+Foxtrot-Mike-Products

Brownell's has their lowers in stock. The last round bolt hold open set up works very well on both mine.
    https://www.brownells.com/manufactur...+inc/index.htm
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 01-24-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    Well, prices went up substantially at Primary Arms. Still reasonable IMHO when you look at the costs of building your own complete upper from parts. Ordered a 5" upper from them today for the hybrid lower. Should be a very light and handy unit.

Boolit Grand Master

I was upset that Primary Arms is now charging tax. I know it’s coming to everyone. But I will look at other sites that still aren’t charging it. I’m riding that one until you can’t anymore

Banned

I seen that. I was going to place my order this Friday. I am calling them. They closed my account for some reason. They had a 25$ credit on there from a past order. I have not ordered anything from them in a couple years. They probably figured I forgot about it. Well I didn't! They screwed up my order the last time. I took the credit and kept the wrong product they sent me.

If not I will go with the PSA upper. PA is getting too big. They used to be a one man shop when I first ordered from them YEARS ago.

Pretty much everyone is charging tax now. It depends on the state you live in on whether they charge it or not. If you live in a Dem state then bet on it you are getting charged.

I build all sorts of 9mm AR's. Here's a little PDW I built. It is a registered short barreled rifle due to the stock. This one used the Colt style 32 round mags.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0337.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	235357
    07/02 FFL
    Maker of fun things to shoot...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

My glock 9mm sbr.

Boolit Master
    very nice!

Boolit Buddy

I built a Foxtrot Mike (FM Products) 9mm carbine. Mine is 16" and takes Glock magazines. Despite the warning from FM that Winchester White Box would cause problems, I tried some. At 50 yards it was putting everything inside a 2 inch circle. I've also shot a variety of other ammo, and nothing shoots as well as the WWB. I did have some failures to feed using Israeli IAI die cut hollow points. They would apparently hang up on the chamber mount. This ammo has a very sharp jagged edge to the hollow point. Not a big deal to avoid that ammo.

Boolit Master
    I am concerned that if there is a party change in the next election. They will not just make laws on new pistol cal. AR's. They will go for broke and try a total confiscation.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    I am concerned that if there is a party change in the next election. They will not just make laws on new pistol cal. AR's. They will go for broke and try a total confiscation.
    Confiscation? Messy business that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    I built a Foxtrot Mike (FM Products) 9mm carbine. Mine is 16" and takes Glock magazines. Despite the warning from FM that Winchester White Box would cause problems, I tried some. At 50 yards it was putting everything inside a 2 inch circle. I've also shot a variety of other ammo, and nothing shoots as well as the WWB. I did have some failures to feed using Israeli IAI die cut hollow points. They would apparently hang up on the chamber mount. This ammo has a very sharp jagged edge to the hollow point. Not a big deal to avoid that ammo.
    I have been using CCI Blazer 115 gr. and it is very accurate. Tried some Aguilla hollow points and they would not feed. Remington +p HTP 115 gr. feeds fine. It has a rounded tip into the hollow point.

Banned

I bought a 4.5 inch psa and it never ran well. What I ended up with is what I should have started with. I replaced my barrel with a faxom because they have a much better feed ramp (there on sale right now on there web site for around 80 bucks) and installed a https://taccom3g.com/product/taccom-...ower-feedramp/ which did wonders for feeding cast. Add to that to use AT LEAST a 5.5 once buffer, loose the pistol spring a carbine recoil spring (some say even an ar10 spring) and never go to a light hammer spring. If anything replace the stock one with an extra heavy wolf. I thought I might have a chamber problem too but what was happening is softer bullets were getting damaged so badly when feeding that they wouldn't allways chamber. If you do NOTHING else spend the 3o bucks on that feed ramp. Seated to max overall length in the loading books it feeds everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingle View Post
    The 9mm AR will drive you nuts half or more of the barrels have no throat. I have 5 different barrels 3 would not chamber anything but 115gr. round nose. I got a clymer chamber reamer all now are way more accurate and will chamber up to 160gr. of any flavor and they are way more reliable.

Usually just make my own 9mm AR barrels but bought a AR-Stoner barrel as a gift for my FIL a while back. He came over, we put it together and went in the back yard to test it. It fed terribly. I just copied the feed ramp on a MKII sten barrel for the feed ramp on the barrels I've made, so we took his barrel off which had a much smaller feed ramp and changed the angle to make it wider not deeper and radiused the transition from bevel to chamber wall slightly to remove the sharp edge. Worked great after that.

Attachment 238950
    All my pcc’s are in .45 acp and use greasegun mags so I can’t help you but good luck on your build. Pcc’s are a hoot and can be used in ipsc and zsa matches nowadays. Fun with a gun.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 03-30-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Banned

I went with the 8" barrel from PSA. It has fed everything I have tried in it so far. I have tried the clear 31rd mags, the 27rd Magpul mags, g19 mags, g26 mags. and they all fed Lee 124TC bullets and MP359-125 HP, RMR124 plated. Federal 124gr HP

Only misfeeds I have had was when I went to low on the charge weights to find how low I could go. It does have a short throat but not any shorter than my gen4 g19 does.

Boolit Master

I bought a Stern Defense 4"upper and Fox trot Mike Lower. Feeds Bayou Bullets cast 124 TC and 124 FMJ. So far so good but just getting broke in. It will be even more fun when it's can gets out of Jail!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12