MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm AR

Banned

9mm AR

Anyone build one or buy one. I just ordered a pistol lower that uses Glock mags from PSA. I already have a bunch of Glocks so it seems to work to stay with the same platform.

Next I have to figure out which upper to get. I think I am going with the FM Products 9.25" side charger upper or PSA 10.5"

Just wondering how picky they are? If they are like the pistols to get to shoot well?

I assembled one for a friend a few weeks ago. I have not shot it, but he loves it. Said it was picky with reloads, but did fine with factory. (I think reloads will work fine, just need to size the cartridge correctly. )

I have one on order now! I am going with the FM products one that uses Glock mags and holds a spare mag in the handle. The “Glock store” says they have them in stock, but I don’t have a delivery date yet.

I went with the FM products 8.5” barrel as I hope to get into suppressors when I do t have a college bill for my daughter!

Can’t wait to compare notes!
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a psa 10.5" upper and it works great other than that the chamber leade is pretty short it works perfectly with fmj or longer thin round nose (bayou 124gr rn) but truncated cone style bullets have a tendency to stick in the chamber if they aren't loaded pretty short.

Boolit Master
    I’m interested in this...any reason, other than length, to not go with a longer 16” barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    I’m interested in this...any reason, other than length, to not go with a longer 16” barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Once you get to 9 or 10 inches in a 9mm, you just aren't going to get much more velocity by going to a longer barrel. Of course anything under 16 inches is going to either be a pistol or a SBR. So if you don't want a pistol or SBR you'll have to go 16 inches.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

Boolit Grand Master

I built one w/ Stern Defense parts so the lower wasn’t dedicated. I have no issue w/ the mag release location which seems to be an issue for some. I can take the mag block out and run any upper I want on it.

I don’t recommend the KAK Blade pistol brace. It beats you up good if you do shoulder it. There are more comfortable options for the occasional shouldering. And as of typing this shouldering a pistol brace is legal.

Mine has been reliable w/ any ammo I’ve fed it from WWB 115 grain to 155 grain cast. The throat is generous on the barrel and like all 9mm it’s important. It’s one of the most fun guns I own.

Banned

I definitely want to keep it at the 8-10" area. The short throat is what I am worried about. I do have a bunch of lapping bullets but I don't want to use them unless I have to.

Boolit Master

I built a 9mm, I had the standard lower and used the Mean Arms 9mm mag inserts and a cheap no name barrel I picked up at a gun show. When I got the bbl home I noticed that it had no feed ramp, I mean absolutely NONE that I can see, I put it together as is and am happy with it. It seems to handle anything brass case even cast reloads without a problem, the only rounds that do hang up are some cheap steel case stuff I picked up a while back and didn't realize it was steel. That stuff is ROUGH and doesn't work well in any of my 9s, it's only redeeming feature is for malfunction drills. BTW I used the heavy BCG from Brownells and a heavy buffer as was recommended to my and it wooks.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    9mm carbines are weird about bullet and powder selection. The fastest load i have used is out of a 13.5" barrel it gets 165fps faster than a 16" with 124gr. over cfe pistol powder. Anything under 10.5 is slow.

Banned

Don't care about speed. Just want reliable and cheep. Consolidating my reloading is the reason for this. And I have always wanted a pistol caliber AR. And now that they are actually cheap enough and they are making them easy to use with Glock mags, why NOT?????

Plus this may be the last time we are able to own something like this ever again. So I am focusing on things I want right now over this coming year. After this year is up things are going to get mighty scary again and I am NOT going to pay stupid prices for anything. Did not last time and will not next time.

Boolit Master
    I put one together on an 80% dedicated lower, colt style. Yea the stupid 16in barrel but makes it legal. Not tried a comparison of the various lengths, but 16in they are alot faster than an 8in barrel.

One issue I had and seems common is some do not cut any sort of throat. Barrel from midway, it would load and fire, but near impossible to unload with the bullet jammed in the rifling. A second barrel from another company was the same. So required buying a throating tool.

Not seen any issues w reloads vs factory. Fun to shoot.

With a Glock style lower most uppers will run fine. BUT any bolt must have the "Glock" style mod. An unmodded Colt bolt won't work.

A cheap PSA upper will work fine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by m.chalmers View Post
    With a Glock style lower most uppers will run fine. BUT any bolt must have the "Glock" style mod. An unmodded Colt bolt won't work.

A cheap PSA upper will work fine.
    The FM Products complete Colt style 9mm uppers work fine with their Glock lowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    The FM Products complete Colt style 9mm uppers work fine with their Glock lowers.
    Bolt is modded.

Boolit Master
    BUT any bolt must have the "Glock" style mod? Would anyone be so kind as to save me the googlefoo time?

Banned

ive got a 16 in cmmg that is as reliable as any gun ive ever owned. It uses colt mags and eats anything. I also have 4.5 inch gun I built on a psa glock lower and an upper from another company whos name I forgot because there was a rush on at the time and I just couldn't get an upper from psa. It was more of a learning experience. Mostly with finding the buffer and spring that worked best in it. I ended up with a 5.5 oz buffer and a carbine spring in a pistol tube. It also took some slight grinding on the barrel to make a sort of feed ramp. It now runs great with glock mags or the clear mags psa sells. With any of the glock knock off mags its still troublesome. theres a company that sells a ramped barrel and a bolt that matches it. If I did it again I would surely do it that way. I even bought a what they call upgraded bolt from the company that sold me the upper. It came rough with sharp edges and need quite a bit of smoothening with a file and stone. It also had the ejector pin whole to big and I kept breaking extactors or would find all of a sudden the gun wasn't ejecting right and would look and the ejector was GONE. I found a slightly larger pin at the parts store and used red Loctite on it and it never acted up again. But bottom line that bolt was FAR from an upgrade. Either that or the stock one was a piece of broom handle. took me most of the summer but it now runs well. If I had to do it today use the ramped barrel do some reaserch on which is actually a good bolt and id probably go with a colt mag psa lower. Mags are much cheaper and like I said my cmmg gun doesn't miss a beat and another downside to the glock lowers is they don't have last round bolt hold open and the colt mag ones do. All that said I highly recommend a 9mm ar. Nothing so much fun is so cheap to shoot. My cmmg gun will shoot cast coated bullet under 2inches at a 100 yards!! 4.5 inch gun does about the same at 50. Did I tell you that 4.5 gun is cuter then a puppy. Better get them while you can because it looks like pistol registered ar15s are pretty high up on the liberals banning agenda.

Banned

ive got a 16 in cmmg that is as reliable as any gun ive ever owned. It uses colt mags and eats anything. I also have 4.5 inch gun I built on a psa glock lower and an upper from another company whos name I forgot because there was a rush on at the time and I just couldn't get an upper from psa. It was more of a learning experience. Mostly with finding the buffer and spring that worked best in it. I ended up with a 5.5 oz buffer and a carbine spring in a pistol tube. It also took some slight grinding on the barrel to make a sort of feed ramp. It now runs great with glock mags or the clear mags psa sells. With any of the glock knock off mags its still troublesome. theres a company that sells a ramped barrel and a bolt that matches it. If I did it again I would surely do it that way. I even bought a what they call upgraded bolt from the company that sold me the upper. It came rough with sharp edges and need quite a bit of smoothening with a file and stone. It also had the ejector pin whole to big and I kept breaking extactors or would find all of a sudden the gun wasn't ejecting right and would look and the ejector was GONE. I found a slightly larger pin at the parts store and used red Loctite on it and it never acted up again. But bottom line that bolt was FAR from an upgrade. Either that or the stock one was a piece of broom handle. took me most of the summer but it now runs well. If I had to do it today use the ramped barrel do some reaserch on which is actually a good bolt and id probably go with a colt mag psa lower. Mags are much cheaper and like I said my cmmg gun doesn't miss a beat and another downside to the glock lowers is they don't have last round bolt hold open and the colt mag ones do. All that said I highly recommend a 9mm ar. Nothing so much fun is so cheap to shoot. My cmmg gun will shoot cast coated bullet under 2inches at a 100 yards!! 4.5 inch gun does about the same at 50. Did I tell you that 4.5 gun is cuter then a puppy.

Boolit Master
    I am running an FM Products hybrid Glock lower with one of their 9.5" Colt style uppers. Has functioned 100% so far. I also have an FM billet Glock lower that I'm deciding on an upper for. Would have gone with a .45 acp Glock lower if I had been able to find one in stock that had the lrbho feature.

Need to run some rounds over the crono and see how fast we are. Got FM's premium trigger to install as well.

Boolit Grand Master

There are Glock lowers, and mag blocks, w/ last round bolt hold open. Just make sure you know what you’re buying. I believe the PSA lower is non bolt hold open. I know for certain that the Stern Defense mag block has last round bolt hold open. It’s a feature that will eventually be on every one since people want it.

There’s a lot to be said for certain systems that don’t require any fiddling w/ buffers, springs and other parts. I can remove the Stern Defense mag block and run any upper w/out changing out any parts. I am running a heavy buffer but this doesn’t effect the operation of any of the other uppers I own.

Regardless of what you buy and build. They’re an extremely fun gun to shoot. Ripping tough a 33 round 9mm mag is a lot easier on the wallet then a 30 round mag full of 5.56.

Banned

I really don't care about the last round hold open. I shot so many AK's and 10/22's that it does not even bother me.

I am hearing of some barrels that are having NO throat. Anyone run into this? I want to run the Lee 120 TC bullet. That seems to run in every other 9mm I have ever had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast