WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dies for a walnut hill press

Boolit Bub

Dies for a walnut hill press

Hello. I'm completely new on the forums and to making my own ammo. I am wanting to swage 308 "pellets" for a high power Airgun. I came across the walnut hill press. I contacted him and was told he had one die for my needs and that his press could only use HIS die? Doesn't make sense to me? My other option is to cast and resize for consistency.
    Any and all help for a new guy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.... Jim

Talk to BTSniper, he can get you set up.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you

Boolit Master

The Walnut Hill press uses Walnut Hill dies. Both are available from RCE. RCE also has a reloading adapter available which allows you to use any swaging dies made for use with a standard reloading press. Richard used to and may still have adapters available to use Dave Corbins "S" type swaging dies with the Walnut Hill. I have all of these and they work well.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Bob. He must not have anything as he was not helpful in the die department. He showed me one die of his and that was it. I appreciate the info.

Boolit Buddy

If BT is not an option, consider Corbin. As I understand it, RCE is a one man shop and he is retiring. Corbin employs half a dozen die makers and makes an excellent product which is supported. Check out Corbins.com. Coincidentally, the two Corbins are brothers and used to work together.
    Zbench

Boolit Bub
    I did look at Corbin but the press is almost double the price. Was hoping to keep it affordable? It does look like a much better option price aside.

Boolit Bub

I am in the same boat for a .45 cal air rifle. Any swaging route that you end up going, you should consider you are paying up front for the hobby. I already had a Blackmon swage press, but decided to go with Corbin’s point form/bleed die. I can cast bullets, sure, but decided to go with that little bit extra for precision swaged, that I can do myself. Doing the math, for what swaged pellets are going for, vs the cost of the die, I prepaid for 850 pellets. That in my world is a season or two of shooting and is reasonable.
    For what my rifle is, my preference would be swaged, since I don’t have the patience for quality casting, plus, I can adjust the weight anytime I want or need.

This is just my $0.02, and I’m sure others have a different view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I have a Corbin S press, Might Mite (H press) and a CHP-1 Hydro Press. I didn't buy any of them new. Keep your eyes open here and other venues. They come up for sale regularly and you can save a lot of money (like I did)
    Zbench

Boolit Bub
    Definitely an up front investment that should pay for itself over time. I do shoot a lot so...

I will definitely keep my eyes open for a used press

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer0419 View Post
    I did look at Corbin but the press is almost double the price. Was hoping to keep it affordable? It does look like a much better option price aside.
    take it from me, there aint nothing affordable about swagging. its fun to do but unless you do mega amounts it is an expensive rabbit hole to fall down.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Bub
    Don’t rule out the Blackmon press, it’s my main one for swaging, and since it is horizontal, works better for my situation. But everyone’s situation and needs vary. I liked the price of it as well. The upside is there are different components from each of the three main suppliers that I prefer for different aspects, and I get them to work fine.

The issue would be as stated above, falling into the rabbit hole: as the world of swaging opens up, you find you NEED this do-hicky to let you use that thingmabobber.

Full disclosure, I do have a press from BT on the way though.

Boolit Bub
    I can't find where Blackmon still operates? Found old posts stating he stopped years ago?

I sent BT a PM. Waiting on a response.

I'm sure it can be a money pit like most hobbies. I do spent a good $500++ a year on my 308 airrifle ammo so I can see it paying for itself
    Last edited by Hammer0419; 01-11-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Boolit Bub

He’s still around, his website is basically just a PDF price list. The phone number on those PDFs is accurate. I seem to get better response when I call.

I sent you a PM.

Last edited by HtNRun; 01-11-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Boolit Man
    By the way, Dave Corbin makes an adapter so that you can use his dies with the Walnut Hill press. I have the adapter, and it works very well with his "S" dies. I think that Dave Corbin's dies are about the best you can get. I must have at least 5 sets of them and only one set of RCE dies. I use them all on my Walnut Hill press.

Boolit Bub
    That's great to know. Thanks for the information.

Boolit Bub
    Walnut Hill is no longer available. I've had a dozen emails with Richard and he said he is retired. Selling off what he has. I did get some lead wire. Just need a die and press. Lol

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer0419 View Post
    Walnut Hill is no longer available. I've had a dozen emails with Richard and he said he is retired. Selling off what he has. I did get some lead wire. Just need a die and press. Lol
    I guess this is recent. I asked him about three months ago about buying a Walnut Hill press and he gave me a price and said it was mine if I wanted it. Kind of glad I decided to sell the die set I had instead of buying the press if he’s actually retired now.

Boolit Bub
    Have to assume it was last of his stock?

Boolit Bub
    Another email from Richard. He does have a few presses left. However, he no longer makes dies. "You will not find dies that would PROPERLY fit my press" "No one can make an adapter to properly work in it". That takes care of that thought.
    Last edited by Hammer0419; 01-20-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast