WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: buffer tube puzzle?

Boolit Master

buffer tube puzzle?

Can a pistol buffer tube be used for a rifle type stock? What happens if the springs get mixed up as a rifle ty pe spring in a carbine tube? Or a pistol spring in a carbine tube? I know I am a little slow on things and I simply need to know why such and such must be this way. This ar bug has really got my mind dreaming up all sorts of things. I was thinking you could make a pump action out of one so I did it. I have it all together and it works good. I am finishing the parts then we will put it all together and see if its better than my amish machine gun(760 remmy in 35 rem). I have plenty of ideas but meds and fixed income keeps me close to the house!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Bub
    You must be careful when changing stocks on an AR, but this MAY have changed with the introduction of the SB Tactical SBA3 pistol brace. It uses a mil-spec diameter carbine length buffer (receiver extension) tube and mounts on it with 5 usable positions (one adjustment position is lost). It will look much like a SBR, but it is a pistol with the brace attached.

I believe the ATF has stated that an AR assembled or transferred as a RIFLE must be registered if it is modified to a PISTOL configuration. If the receiver was transferred as a pistol or "stripped", then it can be assembled as a rifle or pistol, but once assembled as a rifle, it is illegal to configure it back to a pistol without registration. Clear as mud, right?

An AR rifle length buffer spring is about an inch longer than a carbine length buffer spring. You will likely have cycling/function issues if you install a rifle length buffer spring in a carbine/pistol length buffer tube.

Boolit Master
    Ok, Thanks for your explanations. So i should keep carbine tube and spring together, and keep rifle tube and spring together. I do not get the pistol deal with an ar so thats no issue with me. I see tubes with 6 positions also. What is the advantage of carbine or rifle tube?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Real pistol (legal) doesn't have a screw hole in the back. Normally uses a carbine spring but some are special. Some use a carbine tube but ream the threads so aft can't claim is could be sbr.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Real pistol (legal) doesn't have a screw hole in the back. Normally uses a carbine spring but some are special. Some use a carbine tube but ream the threads so aft can't claim is could be sbr.
    Look at the SB Tactical SBA3 brace and the included mil-spec carbine buffer tube. It is the same buffer tube as would be used on a carbine (or SBR) with a collapsible stock.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sba3/

A rifle length buffer tube does have a threaded hole for attachment of a fixed buttstock, be it A1 or A2 length (with spacer), but the hole in a carbine buffer tube is simply a weep hole.
    Last edited by 244; 01-14-2019 at 02:21 AM. Reason: link added