MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: RCBS 44-40 cowboy dies do not have an expander button.

Boolit Master

RCBS 44-40 cowboy dies do not have an expander button.

I bought these dies expecting them to have a .430 expander button since this is a necked case. Has a screw on fixture to hold the decappimg pin. What dies would have the expansion button? I need the dies but was planning on using the expanding button for stretching. 40 S&W brass to make .45 I words.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My .44-40 Cowboy dies came with TWO expander plugs, one .427 and one .429.

Contact RCBS and they should send you one.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I would just contact rcbs and inquire. They are good folks to deal with and you would probably have one in a week. And at no cost more than likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wish list. Things my daughter and I are looking for.

Ideal and Lyman HP pins
    Kimber micro 9 mags
    Star die removal tool, 430 die & TP.
    Cocking stud and ejector Stevens 15a

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the answers. I will call them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    My .44-40 Cowboy dies came with TWO expander plugs, one .427 and one .429.

Contact RCBS and they should send you one.

My recent set only came with the larger of the two. I have no need for the smaller, anyways. BTW, I'm using the carbide sizer for my Marlin 1894 and neck sizing only, for .433 diameter bullets. These CB dies aren't normally used for 44 Magnum reloading and as such it is not listed on the box. IIRC, there is not adjustment in the seater to seat and crimp the longer 44 Mag in one step. No matter to me, cause I always crimp in a separate operation.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I called fri. And got an operator answering for all the companies owned by the investment group. It was obvious she was reading a script " they had a power outage today. We ask that you call back mon." And that was repeated 3 times. Further research I found that RCBS works 4 10 hr days closed fri. Why the operator wasn't allowed to say that I dont understand. So I used the contact us link and emailed them. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Boolit Master
    Finally got in touch and parts tech. Stated that none of the 44-40 die sets have expand expander balls. That you flair the case mouth with die #2. None listed for RCBS part 18851 cowboy dies. According to the answers here that's just not so.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Some bean counter figured out how to make them cheaper.

Does the sizing die have the decapping pin holder, or is it the older style which decaps on the expander die?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    You should have a 3 die set.
    The sizer is die #1.
    The expander is in die #2

Old RCBS 3 die sets had the decapper mounted to the end of the expander punch in die #2
    Later RCBS 3 die sets had the decapper mounted in die #1 and die #1 is now a closed top die with a 1/4-28 thread for the decapper rod.

The original #1 sizer was an open top die with large threads in the top. If you wanted the decapper in it you had to use a threaded bushing for the decapping rod.

The lady is right none of the dies has a "ball". The expander is a punch like every other straight wall pistol round.
    The only RCBS pistol die set I have with a "ball" is a 7.65 Luger die set. That is a tiny bottle necked round and there are only 2 dies.

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Finally got in touch and parts tech. Stated that none of the 44-40 die sets have expand expander balls. That you flair the case mouth with die #2. None listed for RCBS part 18851 cowboy dies. According to the answers here that's just not so.
    Last edited by EDG; 01-24-2019 at 07:32 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Master

EDIT: EDG beat me to it.

The current RCBS 44-40 dies are a 3 die set. Did your set include an expander die? The 3 die sets set the neck interior and flair the case mouth in the expander die. I assume that this is a used set? If the expander die is missing then a Lee Universal Expander with the appropriate NOE expander plug would do what you need.

Another option is to get an RCBS. I'd prefer to use the NOE plugs since i could specify the exact diameter that i want.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...y-expander-die