RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Wrapping PP for Storage Flat or Twist?

Boolit Master

Wrapping PP for Storage Flat or Twist?

I have friends coming out from Indiana for the upcoming Outdoor Show and will be supplying them with some paper patched bullets for their 50 cal muzzleloaders. Last year I had them try different diameters to see what fit and worked in their rifles... Well as their arrival is a few weeks away, I have pretty much finished casting, and the first sizing, but before I do a wrap and final sizing it occurred to me that they probably have a good supply left from last year and these will likely be sitting around for awhile... I probably have too much time on my hands, but I began thinking of how I would pack them and went on to think about the bases... I normally twist the tail and clip short then size the wrapped bullet... it mostly flattens out and by logic(could be wrong here) should remain tightly wrapped given the twist and "ironing" the paper with the final run thru the sizer. But what if I only folded over the base without a twist? would they stay wrapped as well?? My guess is not, but what do I know? That's why I am posing the question here to the folks with a whole lot more experience than I have.
    Your thoughts are greatly welcomed.

Kindest regards,

TheMoose
    Last edited by Themoose; 01-10-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Type
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

I like to patch them Hythe style, with no tail and a spot of lead showing in the center. They don't unwrap too easily but do shoot better. Styrofoam ammo box inserts work good for storing them.

Boolit Master

That is the same way I do it for my Gibbs. I have shot bullets that have been sitting for a year. I do run them through a size die when they have sat for any length of time since the paper tends to absorb humidity and my tolerance is pretty tight.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Banned

they'll be fine with a 1/3rd covering of the bullet base, left nose up in a loading block. these are flat or concave bases? are you using an over powder, under bullet wad?

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys... flat base and use large felt over powder wad
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    I like the wrap with no tail best, but, I have to be careful storing them so the paper does not unwrap. I use plastic tubes. I still have to be careful not to tumble them around very much or they will unwrap a bit. If so then at the range I just carefully retighten the paper.

Banned

i put the PPBs in a PPB loading block. they don't unravel. i wrap *tight* and *dry*, really pressing down on the base. i suspect some natural hand "oil" helps. this is with fidelity 9# onion, other papers might differ.

Boolit Master
    PS I found that using a card wad on top of the powder is important. Lubed felt wad to keep the fouling softer. Then the bullet.