Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: case tumbler

Boolit Buddy

case tumbler

Is anyone but me using a case tumbler to apply PC.
    I started using mine about a year ago, with a few airlift BBs and it has really improved my PC bullets.

Boolit Master

I'm 'sorta' using a case tumbler. Rather than aggravate my carpal tunnel shaking a #5 container of ASBBs and powder by hand, I fabricated a spare drum for my Thumbler rotary from a 1-gallon paint can and then made an insert for the paint-can drum to hold the #5 container of ASBBs, powder, and raw boolits. 5-6 minutes 'tumble time' provides a nice, even coating. Doesn't add any extra time to the process because I normally use two #5 containers: while one is tumbling, I'm picking coated boolits out of the other and standing them on a silicon-lined oven tray.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Man

I use an old Hornady tumbler I picked for $5 at a yard sale to powder coat. I don't use the airsoft BB's in it though. I just add powder and bullets and let it run for about 5 minutes a batch.

Boolit Master
    C-dubb,

So switching to a tumbler improved your coating over what? What method had you tried before?

And what sort of "improvements" are we talking about? Actual, practical improvements, where the bullets are more accurate or lead less? Or cosmetic improvements. I don't mean to belittle the cosmetics - if I'm going to spend time working on something I like my work to look good.

I coat using a #5 tupper-ware and airsoft BBs. Dump it into an ice-cream pale with holes drilled in it to act as a sieve. Then dump bullets onto a tray lined with non-stick aluminum foil. Shake the tray a bit so the bullets are all one-layer, then in the toaster they go. I use Harbor Freight red.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by C-dubb View Post
    Is anyone but me using a case tumbler to apply PC.
    I started using mine about a year ago, with a few airlift BBs and it has really improved my PC bullets.
    Oh heck yeah! My old, lopsided, turbo 1200 was too good to toss out when I bought a bigger FA tumbler. Now I use it for applying hBN coatings to all of my lead bullets and even some jacketed rifle stuff. I just swapped out the tuffnut media for some steel ball burnishing media and in 30-60 minutes I get the slickest, dark, dark-grey, lead slugs I've ever shot. I love it!
    Because freedom isn't free....

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I don’t have a tumbler, but if I did, I sure would be trying it.

Boolit Master
    I found a tumbler to be too aggressive, so I modified a small tumbler. The straps holding the bucket in place alloy me to adjust the tension on the bucket and the amount of vibration. I tumble coat approximately 6 pounds of bullets at a time, with no effort. If the humidity is high I can preheat the bullets and drop in the running tumbler. The bucket lid keeps the powder confined.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1736.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	234027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1738.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	234028

Banned
    I have used just an HF case vibrator, I've used it with #5 containers in it and I've used it with the boolits in plastic ziplock bags.

20 - 30 seconds swirling by hand gets it done, haven't used my case vibrator for some time

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman Turbo 1200 on a 5 minute timer. Works great and I can be doing something else while the timer is running. Like everyone else, dump it into a sieve, shake it and dump it onto a silicone mat or whatever. Dump the catch pan back into the tumbler and repeat. Easy color change with an air hose. Note: Do not stand downwind during the easy color change. I won't say how I discovered that handy tip.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    I'm 'sorta' using a case tumbler. Rather than aggravate my carpal tunnel shaking a #5 container of ASBBs and powder by hand, I fabricated a spare drum for my Thumbler rotary from a 1-gallon paint can and then made an insert for the paint-can drum to hold the #5 container of ASBBs, powder, and raw boolits. 5-6 minutes 'tumble time' provides a nice, even coating. Doesn't add any extra time to the process because I normally use two #5 containers: while one is tumbling, I'm picking coated boolits out of the other and standing them on a silicon-lined oven tray.

Bill
    Do you mind showing some pics of this set up?
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Buddy

Are we talking a vibrator tumbler or a rotrary tumbler, my rotrary tumbler seems to be really aggressive to tumble lead bullets in.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Do you mind showing some pics of this set up?
    No problem but it may take a day or two. Just got back from two-weeks vacation and we're still getting things back together and re-acclimating ourselves to Illinois winter. It was +52 F. when we left San Antonio at 7AM Wednesday morning and +12 F...with a 20 mph wind...when we got off the train yesterday afternoon.

Bill

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

My tumbler set-up. The 'drum' is a 1-gal. paint can and the internal carrier made from 1/4" mahogany plywood held in place with 'Quik Seal' foam insulation from a spray can. Ends of barrel are wrapped with non-skid walkway tape for better 'traction' on the tumbler rollers. #5 containers are Rubbermaid food storage boxes. I'm not really a high-volume reloader but can turn out 400-500 finished boolits an hour using my two thrift-shop toaster ovens.

Attachment 234708Attachment 234709
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 01-26-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    No problem but it may take a day or two. Just got back from two-weeks vacation and we're still getting things back together and re-acclimating ourselves to Illinois winter. It was +52 F. when we left San Antonio at 7AM Wednesday morning and +12 F...with a 20 mph wind...when we got off the train yesterday afternoon.

Bill
    You rode a train.....man, I want one.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Banned

I use a cheap Frankfort arsonel vibrator (not true tumbler) it works great. I don't even mess with bbs anymore. Tried it with bbs then switched to #4 buckshot and eventually found that 15 minutes in the tumbler and they were coated just as well by the bullets banging against each other.