RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt King Cobra

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I’m just waiting for them to come out with a colt worth buying again. They need to get backing into hunting target market. The industry is already saturated with conceal and carry guns.
    The conceal market is were the mass market buyers are at, but the target and hunting market is were the more interesting guns are at in my opinion also. I think they’ll get to that point as long as sales stay strong enough to support it. It might take a couple years at the rate they introduce new product though.

Banned
    reddog81, I'll give you credit, when you get knocked down you get right back up eager to take another punch.

I like the concept of a 3" barreled, stainless steel, DA, 357 magnum with fixed sights but I'm not paying $900 for one just because it is new and has "Colt" stamped on it.
    And, I don't think there's a big market for a DA revolver in that class at that price. I could be wrong but I do not foresee Colt selling a lot of those at that price.

Attachment 236228

I purchased my model 65 new maybe 30 years ago. They're not as common these days but they still don't go for $900.

I obtained my Speed-Six a few years ago and it was way less than $900.

"New" & "Colt" doesn't mean much.

Boolit Master
    I already have 2 of them on the way. I’ll let you know how they shoot in about a year when I can get to the range, lol.

The Cobra was well enough made to make me plunk the money down on these.

Boolit Master

For the money I would rather have a Ruger Sp101 and spend the rest on powder and primers
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Good thing there is a variety out there. While the rest are poo pooing the platform without ever shooting one, I’ll be working on load development with a pair of them. Life sho’ Am good!!

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Good thing there is a variety out there. While the rest are poo pooing the platform without ever shooting one, I’ll be working on load development with a pair of them. Life sho’ Am good!!
    I am with you! One is on my short list. If you wat to play you got to pay. He who dies with the most wins!

Boolit Master
    The reintroduced Cobra is a well made revolver. It likes the 358429 over an undisclosed amount of Unique, lol.

I’ll probably feed these a steady diet of the 358156 has checked over a stout dose of AA#9 or 2400. I’ll have to see the 358429 fits in 357 brass in the cylinder.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I'm not "poo-pooing" the gun, I'm objecting to the price of the gun.

The gun looks like a great concept and I'm glad Colt made it. I'm just not going to pay $900 for a working gun simply because it has "Colt" stamped on it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    For the money I would rather have a Ruger Sp101 and spend the rest on powder and primers
    That would be a way to get a very strong but compact 3" DA Stainless, 357 mag revolver at a considerable saving. I wouldn't consider the 5 round cylinder to be a handicap.

Boolit Master
    I think Rugers are overpriced, lol.

The king, to me, will always be the Model 27.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    reddog81, I'll give you credit, when you get knocked down you get right back up eager to take another punch.

I like the concept of a 3" barreled, stainless steel, DA, 357 magnum with fixed sights but I'm not paying $900 for one just because it is new and has "Colt" stamped on it.
    And, I don't think there's a big market for a DA revolver in that class at that price. I could be wrong but I do not foresee Colt selling a lot of those at that price.

Attachment 236228

I purchased my model 65 new maybe 30 years ago. They're not as common these days but they still don't go for $900.

I obtained my Speed-Six a few years ago and it was way less than $900.

"New" & "Colt" doesn't mean much.
    Get knocked down - LOL! Kimber has been successful enough in the market to have continuously expand their lineup. To think that Colt can’t be successful is just silly. Colt doesn’t need to sell 100,000 a year to make it work. Colt hasn’t ever been a company to market the cheapest gun possible and to think they would start with their new revolvers doesn’t make any sense at all.

When the new Cobra came out people said the exact same thing and those guns still sell quickly when they hit any of my local shops. The Night Cobra has also been very popular and still sells for $700+ after being out for over a year and is only a .38 Special.

This will make untold numbers of folks mad, but in my opinion Colt revolvers are overpriced and under built as to strength. And always have been. The King Cobra and Anaconda were probably the strongest they made. The expensive Kimber looks as goofy as the plastic frame Ruger to me. I'm with P&P as well. Four to five hundred dollars around here will get you a decent Ruger Six series or a Smith & Wesson .357.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    I am with you! One is on my short list. If you wat to play you got to pay. He who dies with the most wins!
    Like you it's on my short list as well but i'm not sure about "he who dies with the most wins" IMO its he or she who inherits all these fine firearms is the one that wins!

Banned
    I don't know what Colt's actual production cost for the King Cobra is but if they must sell it for close to $900 in order to make a profit they're already in trouble.

If Colt can make that gun for considerably less than $900 and are planning on fewer sales with a larger profit margin, they're just banking on their name. (Something that Colt is famous for)

I'm happy to see a gun of that type on the market. The King Cobra is essentially a 3" Ruger SP101 with a 6 round cylinder. And while I like the concept, I don't think it's worth $900.

The word "Colt" has always added a lot of cost to a handgun. There's a disagreement as to whether the word "Colt" adds a commensurate level of quality to go with that price tag.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 02-18-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Here I was thinking I was missing something.... I have personally never felt the need to “upgrade” from a Ruger and it’s price point. But I will agree more gun offerings can only be good.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I remember when colt was actually in production back in the day and their price point on pistols were a $100 more than Taurus. Here’s a comparable Taurus...

https://palmettostatearmory.com/taur...%3a00+pm+email

Which would put the colt at $450 which is what street price should be. Colt dosent care about owning the market anymore and just puts out pistols and guns in limited numbers hoping they won’t get stuck with inventory and are not trying to own the market anymore. They know there will always be a few colt lovers to pay the over inflated prices to pay for their tooling and light bill but will never get back into the big production numbers unless someone buys them out and reinvents the wheel. They are getting to the point of being a novelty firearm IMO. IMO they KNOW they are not going to sell a ton of these are marked them way up to make sure they don’t go in the hole again “as they say they do” to pay for their tooling with the very limited sales they will get from this pistol. If it was a 6” model with adjustable sights and drilled and tapped I’d already have one on order and got gouged with the the rest of you.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-18-2019 at 12:26 PM.

I think a lot of revolvers are novelty items today. I am a sucker and buy them anyway. Can’t take the money with me!

I think a lot of revolvers are novelty items today. I am a sucker and buy them anyway. Can’t take the money with me!

Boolit Grand Master

I like the looks of this one which isn’t usually the case w/ Colts. But the price is a nonstarter. I bought a new 6” 586 for less money and it will be shooting well after the Colt breaks. And for $900 it should come w/ wood grips. But I guess I’m the odd man out since I prefer revolvers to be wood and steel.

Boolit Master
    Well, when you happen to own some sweet wood blocks, and maybe even an elephant tusk, I can do whatever grips are needed lol. Did I mention they will be sequential serial numbers?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast