Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt King Cobra

Boolit Master

I bought mine when the first came out 4” gun. Had some timing issues and sent it back. The gun was completely rebuilt! The rep I spoke with said there was only a few parts remaining from my orig gun!

I had it re barreled using a Whitetailer Barrel along with the action slicked up. Its a good shooter. You will never see another like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I remember they were $359 bucks but didn’t want one since I already had an andaconda. Kicking myself now! And $1200 to $1500 for a python was out of my range at the time.
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 02-19-2019 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added a pic
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned
    I'm a huge fan of 3" DA revolvers and my personal opinion is that the 3" RB S&W model 65 was one of the best combat handguns ever made. However, at Colt's asking price I could probably find a pristine S&W Model 65 and have money left over.
    Colt's price point may be out of necessity or Colt may be banking on their name to increase their profit margin. In either event I'm not interested in buying a $900 gun and leaving it in the box in the hopes that it will increase in value. If I was going to buy a gun like that it would be a working gun.

Colt has been in and out of Bankruptcies more times than I can remember and although I'm happy to see Colt making compact DA revolvers like the Cobra and King Cobra; I have doubts concerning Colt's survival.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I'm a huge fan of 3" DA revolvers and my personal opinion is that the 3" RB S&W model 65 was one of the best combat handguns ever made. However, at Colt's asking price I could probably find a pristine S&W Model 65 and have money left over.
    Colt's price point may be out of necessity or Colt may be banking on their name to increase their profit margin. In either event I'm not interested in buying a $900 gun and leaving it in the box in the hopes that it will increase in value. If I was going to buy a gun like that it would be a working gun.

Colt has been in and out of Bankruptcies more times than I can remember and although I'm happy to see Colt making compact DA revolvers like the Cobra and King Cobra; I have doubts concerning Colt's survival.
    I buy guns to use them. Every time someone sees me at the range with my andaconda they freak out. Don’t shoot it! I always ask them are they kidding? I bought it to use it not to keep in a box. That pistol will never be worth enough not to shoot it and increase enough in value that I could retire off it...so it will be shot. Maybe if it was a one of one or I was dumb enough to pay today’s ridiculous over inflated ASKING prices for them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I buy guns to use them. Every time someone sees me at the range with my andaconda they freak out. Don’t shoot it! I always ask them are they kidding? I bought it to use it not to keep in a box. That pistol will never be worth enough not to shoot it and increase enough in value that I could retire off it...so it will be shot. Maybe if it was a one of one or I was dumb enough to pay today’s ridiculous over inflated ASKING prices for them.
    Yep, pretty much sums up my views as well. It's a tool not an investment.
    I do think Colt's asking price is inflated but they're likely to get that premium on their name alone.

Boolit Master
    Everybody complains about the price but all the competitors are just as bad. A plastic framed Ruger LCR in .357 is going to run you over $600. A S&W model 60 will be over $700. A Kimber will be over $800. In a couple months the street price for the King Cobra will be the same as the Kimber and some of the S&W variants.

Yeah, there’s cheaper guns out there but not everybody wants a Taurus.

Spending an extra $100 on a Colt is an easy decision for many. I’ll be first in line once they add adjustable sights. I’ve already got a new Cobra to hold me over until then.

Boolit Master

I did very much like my 64 & 65 S&W! I agree the 65 3” RB was about perfect. I regret selling it.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    I had use of a Model 13 x 3" for several months. Well-nigh perfect with Pachmayr Compacs on its RB frame. Medium-frame/3" barrel/357 Magnum is a GREAT concept for CCW.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    Way back when Colt finally got into the 20th century with the stainless steel Magnum Carry (sort of a progression of the Detective Special but with different lockwork and frame) I though, finally ! Colt was going somewhere! ....... Of course that didn't last.

We then had a long drought with Colt's and snubnosed DA revolvers. When Colt came out with the newest "Cobra" model I was happy to see them get back into the small DA revolver market. The newest rendition of the Cobra is a good step in the right direction. The Night Cobra is even a better step. The Night Cobra with its bobbed hammer & black finish is a real competitor to the S&W 640.
    The snubnose Kimber K6S, the S&W 640 and the 2" Cobra are all after the same customers. None of them are cheap but Colt seems to be really proud of theirs.

The King Cobra is not a target revolver or a hunting gun. It is a fighting gun along the lines of the S&W 3" Model 65 or the old Ruger 2.75" Speed-Six. Those stainless guns have 3" barrels, are chambered in 357 mag and have fixed sights that don't snag, break or get out of adjustment. I'm happy to see Colt get into that segment of the market but at $900 they're not really in that market. It's more like they are kind of close to that market.

I don't know what Colt's true production cost is but if it is so high that they need to charge $900 to make a profit, they will not survive.
    If Colt is using their name to demand that high price, they'll get away with that for a little while until everyone that just HAS to have it acquires one and after that sales will plummet.

As much as I like 3" stainless DA revolvers such as the S&W model 65 as combat guns, - for $900 I could buy a Glock 19, a holster, spare mags, lots of ammo and still have money left over.

I'm glad Colt is getting back in the game. We'll see if they manage to STAY in the game this time or if they go into bankruptcy once again.

Boolit Grand Master
    P&P--right with ya, sir.

Just my biases......I think the S&W J-frame and the Ruger GlockRevolver as a platform for 357 Magnum ammunition is ridiculous. Even current SAAMI-level 357 ammo hurts like %$*& to shoot in those small, light little monsters. Of course, I thought that stuffing 38 Specials into J-frames was a bit much, too. The J-frame's progenitor (the I-frame) was designed around the 32 S&W Long, and got turned into a 5-shot 38 S&W back in The Old Days. {People say "You're medieval" like it's a bad thing}

I am not quite as poorly-evolved as my rotten daughters sometimes assert--my usual in-town goblin processor is the Glock 23 and a spare magazine. That said, the King Cobra would be a real winner if it could handle the FBI's Federal #357B loading without breakage a la the K-frame S&W 357s. Kind of "gilding the lily", though--there are no "bad" self-defense loads in 357 Magnum--the caliber just WORKS.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 02-16-2019 at 04:28 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The King Cobra is not a target revolver or a hunting gun. It is a fighting gun along the lines of the S&W 3" Model 65 or the old Ruger 2.75" Speed-Six. Those stainless guns have 3" barrels, are chambered in 357 mag and have fixed sights that don't snag, break or get out of adjustment. I'm happy to see Colt get into that segment of the market but at $900 they're not really in that market. It's more like they are kind of close to that market.
    Those guns aren’t even being made any more. The closet competition is the Kimber K6 and their prices will be identical in a couple months.

They sold their $900 pistol for $359.00 with a bigger frame and adjustable sights 18 years ago and it wasnt flying off the shelf until they discontinued them. Hunter numbers are down so why make a hunting pistol. Conceal and carry is everones game. I have enough pocket pistols so ill pass
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-16-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    Those guns aren’t even being made any more. The closet competition is the Kimber K6 and their prices will be identical in a couple months.
    My point exactly. If I'm in the DA, 357 mag, 3", self-defense wheelgun market; I'm not going to spend $900 for a new Colt when I can buy a pristine Model 65 or Speed-Six for $300 less.

I think each time the sales of one the new "Cobra" revolvers declines, Colt is going to tweek the platform just enough to stir up new sales until everyone willing to spend $900 on a new Colt has purchased one.
    It's hard to sell $900 revolvers in today's market.

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    the real deal....
    Got one also
    RP

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

I’d buy a Ruger Bisley super black hawk hunter and have money left over for optics. I’d buy the original model it it was reintroduced around the $500 range. It was their price leader adjustable sight hunting pistol to begin with. It was not a python or andaconda. I think the reason I never bought one is because it’s top rib wasn’t vented like the andaconda. But I’d buy one now! It was a great value at $360 back then but you can buy a lot more pistol for a lot less in today’s market than what everyone THINKS they’re worth. I think I’m done ranting. I’d been excited to see them come back out with the original version though and in the $499 to $550 price range which is what they would probably sell for well in today’s market from a 20 year mark up from the original $359 suggested retail price they went for in 1999.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-16-2019 at 09:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    Any $300 S&W 65 or Ruger Service Six is going to look like it spent a couple weeks at the bottom of the East River. Have any of you priced the used revolver market lately? Send me a link to a LNIB $300 Service Six and i’ll mail you $100.

Banned
    I didn't say a $300 dollar Model 65 or Ruger Speed-Six, go back and look at what I wrote. I said $300 LESS than $900. I'll do the math for you, That's a $600 gun.

I paid $450 for a used, like new,one year old 329 NG nite guard a few years back and $489 for my andaconda new back in the day. Still have my receipts. The nite guard is another pistol not in production anymore and the last I checked has been going for around $1500...if you can find them. Id probably trade my nite guard for a nib Ruger super Blackhawk hunter or similar and some cash in put in my pocket to boot. There are deals out there if your not an impulse buyer and I’ve learned you can’t be looking for a specific firearm. You buy them when you run into a deal your not looking for. My buddy bought a Remington 600, not Mohawk, the original vented rib design made for 3/4 years. He paid $300 for it from the lgs the other day. Wasn’t looking for it and ran into it looking for pistols.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-17-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    P&P--right with ya, sir.

Just my biases......I think the S&W J-frame and the Ruger GlockRevolver as a platform for 357 Magnum ammunition is ridiculous. Even current SAAMI-level 357 ammo hurts like %$*& to shoot in those small, light little monsters. Of course, I thought that stuffing 38 Specials into J-frames was a bit much, too. The J-frame's progenitor (the I-frame) was designed around the 32 S&W Long, and got turned into a 5-shot 38 S&W back in The Old Days. {People say "You're medieval" like it's a bad thing}

I am not quite as poorly-evolved as my rotten daughters sometimes assert--my usual in-town goblin processor is the Glock 23 and a spare magazine. That said, the King Cobra would be a real winner if it could handle the FBI's Federal #357B loading without breakage a la the K-frame S&W 357s. Kind of "gilding the lily", though--there are no "bad" self-defense loads in 357 Magnum--the caliber just WORKS.

Speaking of that old Federal load:

Attachment 236197

Boolit Master
    Either way colt comparing a 30 year old Ruger vs a new Colt doesn’t make much sense. Kimber has their new 3” DASA that is a direct comparison and basically the same price. I can’t recall the last time I saw a Speed six for sale locally and don’t think I’ve ever seen a model 65 locally. Apples vs Oranges!

Colt’s target market isn’t people looking for the best deal possible. Anyone who’s waiting for Colt to come out with guns competing in price against 30 year old Ruger’s is going to be waiting a long time.

I’m just waiting for them to come out with a colt worth buying again. They need to get backing into hunting target market. Colt can charge what ever they want for their firearms...they just have to start production on them again. The industry is already saturated with conceal and carry guns. Twenty to thirty years ago colt was on top of their game and made more accurate production pistols than just about every other manufacturer. They were the company to set the standard to. Now there are tons of other manufacturers out there that make better quality and more accurate pistols for less. It’s a shame but IMO colt went down the toilet when they stopped production on the original snake guns. Make em, charge more, just make them. If they are really that desirable...which to me they are...then there is a market for them. For some reason colt dosent see it the same way or they would still be producing them and charging more to justify the extra production costs. I was told back in 99’ it was a lawsuit against them from a killing used with a snake gun that stopped production and and not the additional costs.

I remember they started doing a limited production custom shop as they called it for the andaconda after they seized production and charged $1300 for the EXACT same pistol I bought for $489 a year or two earlier. Shame on colt. That’s what I call gouging the consumer.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-17-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast