Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zinc in range scrap

Boolit Master
    If your scrap is from an indoor range you could just have a large amount of copper in the mix. That casts at a higher then normal temp.

Boolit Master
    I would save the dross from the skimming because you might be skimming off antimony. Just because the casting furnace is set to the maximum setting does not mean you do not have a thermostat or heating element starting to fail. Get the thermometer to know what you have. Higher percentages of antimony will need more heat to combine and remain in solution.

You are not describing foamy, frothy or the ash like material we find in casting occlusions in contaminated metal. You say slushy like it is failing to be fluid like for casting. Perhaps it is just the way you are describing what you are seeing.

It might also be that you did not do a good job when performing the initial cleaning. I know that I have had trouble because I was in a hurry and did not follow the best practices.

Boolit Master
    There are a lot of factory rounds with zinc core jacketed bullets. It's going to make our hobby harder

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have had pretty good results putting fairly large amounts of sawdust in pot before heat is turned on and as the temp on melt comes up the impurities form crumbly substance on tho of melt.

Boolit Master
    There seems to be a lot of zinc or other contaminates in range scrap now and a lot comes from jacketed bullets. I still throw in a spoon of sulphur and stir if I find zinc, and then throw out the skimmed oatmeal from the top. I have also found reclaimed shot to be hard to cast with till its added to pure lead or wheel weights. There are many great posts on how to clean up suspect lead and I have used them with excellent results. Regards Stephen

Boolit Grand Master

I think there are some bullets sold with zinc cores. Is nothing sacred anymore?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    This is the first time I have heard about factory reloads containing zinc. I’d really like to see a list of all know brands that use it. That way I can maybe spot, if someone at my range where I collect, is using it. So far I haven’t had any signs of it when melting down for ingots.

Boolit Bub
    I think it’s just Russian steel cased pistol ammo right now. Tulammo 9mm, .40, and maybe .45. I found a zinc .40 in my brass last year. Here’s a photo from a seller:
    https://static1-bulkammocom.netdna-s...e39235_3_2.jpg

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    This is the first time I have heard about factory reloads containing zinc. I’d really like to see a list of all know brands that use it. That way I can maybe spot, if someone at my range where I collect, is using it. So far I haven’t had any signs of it when melting down for ingots.
    I realize you asked about factory ammo, I haven't seen any, until they were mentioned in this thread.
    ...But I did notice, about a year ago, Midsouth started offering Zinc bullets to reloaders.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...llet-100-count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I really do not sort my w-w. I just throw every thing in pot and let it melt. Do try to pick out valve stems and other rubber and plastic always miss some after cleaning out clips and scrap make ingots. Then remelt with large amount of sawdust and skim off the crud and then cast bullets come out filled out and consistent in weight shoot well to. I just could not imagine going through 5 or 10 gallons of w-w.

I bought truck ‘ww’ lead from a guy on ebay and 3/4 was zinc ww. I thought that something was off as large as the box was it should have weighed a ton. He acted like he wasn’t aware that they were zinc and didn’t want them back but did refund some of my money. But I’m curious what does a zinc bullet look like? Same as a flattened out lead bullet when it hits steel? Is zinc more or less valuable than scrap steel or lead?

Boolit Bub
    Scrap zinc is worth a lot less than lead, but a little more than steel. The bullet flattens out when it hits, but not as much as lead. It looks silvery, but it’s not as shiny or as soft as lead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12