RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Levers and group fliers

I'm learning from this thread too. I just annealed some cases in hopes of more consistent boolit seating effort.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Many, many good thoughts here. I see at least a couple of months loading and shooting work (=play) in trying all the suggestions given.

Thanks, all, for your helpful contributions.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 01-15-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I get better groups with lever actions if I hold the forearm in my hand, and then rest my hand on the sand bag/front mechanical rest.

If I try to rest the lever action forearm on sand bag/mechanical rest like when using a full stock rifle, the lever action rifle jumps off the rest and sometimes even "torgues" , (wants to turn right or left), and groups are never what they should be.

The drop of the buttstock on lever actions being great, also contributes to the jump off the front rest.

Also if I hold the forearm in my hand and rest the rifle, my point of impact is the same as if shooting the rifle off handed without a rest.

Just my experience.
    Old, but as I'm going through it now after a long time away, I'm going through this now. Bounce and torquing is a tendency for me, too, unless I hold on. I think I might try resting my hand on something softer than the Caldwell Deadshot front bag, which is filled pretty hard (and is too low, otherwise I'd just empty it some).
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    I always check the butt stock fit on my Marlins. I try to get a good fit at the front and a tiny gap at the rear of the tang. You don't want the stock shifting side to side, that will throw the shot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123