Lee PrecisionRepackboxPBcastcoInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners

Thread: In house gas line warranty

Boolit Grand Master

In house gas line warranty

Anyone else being badgered to signup for nat gas line ins? Several years ago I added gas heat and hot water.
    Ever since, I have gotten weekly contract requests for ins against leaking lines inside
    the house. Does the gas co expect trouble or get a kickback off it?
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Around my way, the gas co owns to the meter. You own the rest. I don’t see where the gas company would benefit from any of that. To me, it sounds like just another warranty scam. There are alot of companies out there trying to sell worthless waranties for anything they can think of. If you read the fine print, they don’t cover much. That is my take anyway. Fwiw.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    It's all a "scam" most natural gas piping will last well over 50-100yrs inside and most gas companies own to the meter. I see close to 100yr old gas piping still in use here in the North East without much issue.

Its just another insurance policy that you'll probably never collect on.
    If your gas lines were installed right, and look good, they should last a hundred years.

If the policy is just for the lines- a problem with a heater itself wouldn't be covered anyway.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

I would expect it to be trouble free with the exception of an earthquake. Probably something in their language that they don't pay in the cost of an earthquake. I can't imagine the cost of the install would be more than one years premiums. Iron pipe should last a lifetime, csst [coated flexible tubing] had a 50 year warranty. It's biggest problem is improper installation that causes rubbing wear.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Call your Insurance Agent/Company and ask what they cover associated with Natural/Propane gas in your home. Should cover catastrophic problems such as fire, loss, etc.. Most of the "Policies" that are being proposed are probably "Extended Home Owner Warranties" that would cover a leak, damage to the gas line, etc.. NOT damage to the home from a gas leak/fire.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Same thing as the ripoff Car warranties, and the relatively new appliance warranties. Each and every one of these costs more than any repair in way more than the majority of cases. Deductibles are high, And the kicker is exclusions are ridiculous. I'd bet these Nat gas policies cover only accidental damage, not age replacement.

Boolit Master

Try to find out if & when gas lines were changed or repaired in your area ! not sure how long gas lines last but im sure the normal life span, info can be found somewhere and make a educated guess !
    also how long the gas line runs which can be expensive.
    mine is about 6' new water & gas lines and 125' of sidewalk were replaced a few years ago for free !! due to a upgrade grant by gov, but water bill has gone up about 25.00 per mo for capital improvement fee .

Boolit Master
    interior gas line is black iron pipe by code, and this is good for 200 years or more, assuming that it stays dry.

in any case, if you have a gas leak in your house, you won't be around long enuf to collect on any "gas line insurance".

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    interior gas line is black iron pipe by code, and this is good for 200 years or more, assuming that it stays dry.

in any case, if you have a gas leak in your house, you won't be around long enuf to collect on any "gas line insurance".
    As one who investigated gas leaks for 30+ years, and was involved in it peripherally for another 12, there is a lot of error in this message. Most gas leaks smell rather than detonate and gas is non poisonous. I don't recall the ratio, but explosions are well over the 100,000 to 1.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I get the letters frequently. The gas company sends them with he monthly bill but points out that they are not otherwise involved and are not responsible for any claims and only agree to forward your payment. I can't imagine that they don't get some form of remuneration.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Our utility company was pushing this type of Bull. Haven't had them badger me for sometime. I do not believe it proved very fruitful for the utility.

Boolit Buddy
    Its just easy money for the insurance company.

Boolit Grand Master

Same thing for the water line 'insurance' - I own the water line from the house to the street, all of about 50 feet in my case. For that I need insurance??
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

In my previous residence, I had installed a gas furnace and was impressed, so I did the same here a few years later. The first was plumbed with black iron and the next with a flexible line coated with a yellow plastic. I never got an ad suggesting the need for ins until the second install.
    I was wondering if there was an inherent problem with the flexible lines that wasn't being addressed by the gas co because they don't do the install.
    Since there is ins available, I figured it was just hype at a price but thought it wise to ask here for experience and advice.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    gianni, get a sense of humour, dude. it was a joke.

in general, code requires copper outside, thru wall it's copper inside a plastic pipe, then black iron inside, to brass ball valve taps, to coated flex lines connecting appliances. reasons for this are related to preventing leaks. leaks are rare in properly done and leak tested installations. methyl mercaptan is added to gas so that leaks can be smelled by the homeowner. kinda like rotten cabbage.