Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First MP mold. Now I'm a believer!

First MP mold. Now I'm a believer!

Never had a brass mold, or a HP mold that I could cast worth a darned with. Bought a new to me, and almost new 358429 brass hp. Spent most of the day conditioning it. Had to fight serious temptation to jump right to casting with it. And WOW. I like to think I'm a hard one to impress, but this has to be the best mold I've ever had. Absolutely flawless machining, and casts like a dream. Going to have to start a MP collection now. Something else to spend money on

Boolit Buddy

First MP mold. Now I'm a believer!

I’m in the same boat. 8 MP molds later here I am...

And my assortment is pitiful compared to many!

Nothing like seeing bullets "rain" from a mold to make for a good feeling about the mold, the melt, casting, and the world in general.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Vendor Sponsor

congrats on seeing the benefits of a good quality mold
    I have several MP hp molds and they all cast great
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

I totally agree, a mold made by Mihec is a true work of art!
    I only have normal molds, brass and aluminum, but want to get my first HP boolit mold, and it will certainly be one of his!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
    Never had a brass mold, or a HP mold that I could cast worth a darned with. Bought a new to me, and almost new 358429 brass hp. Spent most of the day conditioning it. Had to fight serious temptation to jump right to casting with it. And WOW. I like to think I'm a hard one to impress, but this has to be the best mold I've ever had. Absolutely flawless machining, and casts like a dream. Going to have to start a MP collection now. Something else to spend money on
    How do you condition a brass mold?

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    New MiHec Mould, how do I condition it to get it ready?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t

There was a discussion about it, but as Beagle333 said; I did precondition brass moulds and sometimes not. Some run from the first pour, no matter preconditioning, but mostly my brass HP moulds start to really work after 3rd casting-don’t know why.
    I also agree with Dragonheart as he said that proper preheating of brass mould (20minutes on a hot plate so pins can reach their temp) is probably more important then prepping the mould. I have no experience with tining and my max alloy temp is 415Celzius.

I've got 3 of his molds and they are all works of art. His molds make me look like I know what I'm doing with this bullet casting stuff.

Vendor Sponsor

Would agree on the 3rd session they just seem to hit their groove.
    Fought with one of my first brass molds. got frustrated on first casting session as you had to beat bullets out.
    2nd session was only slightly better. 3rd session finally got some good bullets
    4th session it was a totally different result after 10 or so rejects it just poured perfect bullets till i got tired
    Here is how "I" condition my new brass molds
    Clean very well. Lube mold pins ect.
    Preheat on hot plate. Cast 20 or so bullets. No concern if try are good or bad just getting lead in the cavities.
    shut it all down
    After mold totally cools do the same again
    3rd cast usually goes 100 or bullets
    By the 4th casting session bullets just drop out
    This may be unnecessary but it works very well for me
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

I put the mold on a hotplate and let it get hot, and kept it there for about 30 min. Turn off the heat, and let it cool down on its own, which takes quite a while. Repeated that cycle 5 or 6 times. Mold started to develop a nice patina. Then got everything ready and started casting with a preheated mold. The first dozen or so drops were rejects due to not being hot enough and sprue plate lube smoke wrinkles, but after that ran like a champ. Never once did a bullet try to stick in the mold, and only on the first two drops did a bullet try to stick on a pin, which was very easily removed.

Boolit Grand Master

He's addicted...
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Ain't that the gospel?

Just wait until you can get a MP brass mould that will powder coat at the same time...they're in the experimental stages at the moment...

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Ain't that the gospel?

Just wait until you can get a MP brass mould that will powder coat at the same time...they're in the experimental stages at the moment...

Now what kind of break-in do you have to do with a mold like that, easter egg died graphite?

I boiled it twice and heat cycled it three times...I wanted to just take her straight to the pot...it was a grueling break in.

(there's a secret compartment to put the PC in) . . .
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Was just wondering, keep reading about breaking in brass molds. I've never had to do anything to a brass mold other than wash them with soap when I 1st got them. Doesn't matter if it's a al/iron/brass mold, they all get pre-heated.

Boolit Master
    My name is Gunslinger1911 and I'm addicted to MiHec moulds

Now repeat after me "My name is xxxxx and I'm addicted to MiHec moulds"

You'll feel better, trust me.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

My first brass mould was the 432640 from mihec. There was a learning curve which consisted of “cast faster.” Once I realized it liked to run hot I was off to the races.

My mihec moulds are without a doubt if the highest quality I own. The only real rival in my ammo can we’re cut by Walt Melander.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Heat cycling is all that’s required. This starts the patina which helps bullet release and more importantly helps prevent tinning if you’re using an alloy w/ tin in it. I heat cycle mine three times in a toaster oven. Turn it on high and stick it for an hour. Let it cool to room temp and repeat.

There’s no need to ever put soap and water near molds. Mihec’s molds have minimal oil left on them which cooks off in short order. NOE’s molds come out completely clean of all oils. Maybe it’s because I live in the rust belt but I’m not putting water on anything metal. I will use solvents but they aren’t necessary to clean a new mold.

You want to install the hollow point pins when heat cycling. This allows them to set in. You also want to leave the face of the blocks exposed. You can always just cast w/ them but the first few sessions will be frustrating. Even w/ heat cycling the molds work better after each session.

I love my miha molds for their versatility, but I have a non-hollowpoint mold from NOE, and that thing just rains bullets. NOE 314 315 119gn rnfp.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I love my miha molds for their versatility, but I have a non-hollowpoint mold from NOE, and that thing just rains bullets. NOE 314 315 119gn rnfp.
    I own more NOE molds because he offers a lot more. And all of them are solids. I tried one RG mold and sold it in short order. They don’t function nearly as easily as the Cramer molds do. Mihec has spoiled us in this regard. And even though the molds come w/ hollow point pins I have the plug pins installed if they came w/ them. I grew out of a hollowpoint phase rather quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast