MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Power tool adapter for Forster case trimmer

Boolit Master

Power tool adapter for Forster case trimmer

I needed a new shaft for my 30 year old Forster case trimmer, so in addition I bought a power tool adapter. Best thing since sliced bread! I used to dread trimming brass. No longer! Brownells sells them for about $15.00.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

I have two for my old Lyman, one for my longer 6.5 and 30 cals, other for 556 and 7.62x39. Makes life much easier

Super Moderator

It makes life a heck of a lot easier for sure. I bought a Dewalt cordless driver for mine and it works fantastic. You just slightly turn your hand to adjust speed or direction.
    https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF682...35915698&psc=1

That's the only way to go with the forster trimmers!!! Have 2 trimmers and I'm thinking about getting a 3rd, dedicated 223/dedicated 308/hollow pointing. I have a lyman for everything else.

Boolit Grand Master

Shuz

I've been using one for years with my Forster trimmer.....wouldn't be without it. I have literally worn out (batteries wouldn't hold charge anymore) a couple screwdrivers and now use a light small drill. Makes trimming simple and quick. Hope the new year finds you and yours well.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Shuz

I've been using one for years with my Forster trimmer.....wouldn't be without it. I have literally worn out (batteries wouldn't hold charge anymore) a couple screwdrivers and now use a light small drill. Makes trimming simple and quick. Hope the new year finds you and yours well.
    Larry, thanks for the well wishes. We are well over here on the dry side of Wa.;just not as dry as Az!
    Hope you have a good new year as well.

Did you, (or anyone else,) ever wear out a cutter like I did?
    I'spose those cutters are hardened, and thus you can't resharpen with a file?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

I finally dulled my first one badly a year or two ago. Forester sharpens them for a small fee and it's worth it. After it was back it make the case feel like butter. I've even picked up a second trimmer just so I can dedicate one to a specific case length.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

In Remembrance

I used an old model Forster trimmer for many years. Then I came across a used RCBS power case trimmer set up. It had me saying it is the best thing since sliced bread.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I use a little 10 volt power driver and it works great.
    I threw that crank away !!

Boolit Master
    After 30 some years of trimming brass, my old Herters trimmer needed sharpening. Took the cutter to a shop that does tool sharpening for various local manufactures, told the man what I needed. He asked me for the cutter and left with it. Came back 10 minutes later and simply said no charge. Needless to say, I was very appreciative. Yes, I have removed the handle and use my old 9v makita drill to power the trimmer.

Boolit Grand Master

Shuz

Yes, I have also dulled a couple cutters and re-sharpened them myself. Last one I did send back to Forster and it was super sharp and like new when I got it back.....excellent turn around time also. I have 3 Forster trimmers BTW. One for long cases, one for the shorter cases and one set up for neck turning. I use the power adapter on all of them. I also have a RCBS case trimmer and it works good but I prefer the Forster. Oh yeah, I HP cast bullets with it also.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I use a $10 Harbor Freight corded drill with my Lyman trimmer. Makes a tedious process go by quick.