Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a Strong Foundation?

Boolit Master

Building a Strong Foundation?

*Mods, please move if it doesn't belong here*

Hello All!

If you were to start all over on the road to collecting guns, how would you prioritize what to get?

I'm a young married fellow with 2 young'ins and looking to get the best 'bang' for my buck and current uses.

At the moment, I have a 12ga shotgun with rifled slug and field barrels, an AR pistol in 300BLK, a 10/22, a Glock 23 in .40 S&W, and a Type 99 Arisaka that I have to handload for.

I've been considering a 30-06/308 or a 270 bolt gun for the versatility, and the fact (at least with the '06) that you can kill anything in N/America with the right load.

I would like to get an AR upper in 5.56(I have a bunch of ammo left), and maybe a few other calibers (6.8, 6.5 Grendel?) as money allows. Should I build a rifle lower?

Where should I go from here?

I'd like to be able to buy factory ammo since I'm not set up to reload at this point in time.

Thanks guys, I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say!

-Chris
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

I'd get a rifle next. All 3 cals. are fine and have huge followings.
    The .308 will be a little bit lighter with the short action, and when you get around to it- it does well with cast boolits.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    minimize the number of calibers. get in tune with which way things are moving, and buy what is cheap when it is, with an eye towards quality and utility. right now ar15 are cheap, as are decent classic American made doubles and pump shotguns. grab S&W revolvers if they are cheap. they are effectively out of production. don't waste time on striker fired pistols beyond the one utility piece that you have. get a C&R and use it to buy good US made stuff that is over 50 years old directly. surplus imports are over with for now and climbing in price rapidly. building an ar15 is easy. use palmetto state arsenal as a parts kit source, with pre-assembled uppers.

Boolit Master

Buy the best you can afford and don't buy junk stuff, Keep what you buy and use it.
    Buy common calibers they will do all you need done.
    Find a friend who reloads !
    Set up a gun fund for you and a fun fund for the wife, do not use "Family money" to buy guns.
    Insure she has a fund and do NOT ask why she is using it and for what, it is her discretionary money!

My advise
    Mike (Married 48 years to the same woman!)
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Buy the best you can afford and don't buy junk stuff, Keep what you buy and use it.
    Buy common calibers they will do all you need done.
    Find a friend who reloads !
    Set up a gun fund for you and a fun fund for the wife, do not use "Family money" to buy guns.
    Insure she has a fund and do NOT ask why she is using it and for what, it is her discretionary money!

My advise
    Mike (Married 48 years to the same woman!)
    x2 married 38 yrs and this works

Boolit Master

EVERYTHING suggested on this thread is good information. If it were me the next purchase would be a 5.56 AR 15 in whatever configuration suits your fancy with at least 10 QUALITY magazines. Piglotzi and the rest of the democrap communists WILL make a run on their ownership very soon. Get em while you can for cheap and don't forget the ammo! As far as a hunting rifle, a name brand rifle in 30/06 and a QUALITY scope will pretty well fill out your arsenal. Don't go cheap on the scope! Leupold always gets the first nod from me Buy quality once, cry once and smile every time you use it!
    Last edited by Houndog; 01-09-2019 at 04:59 PM.

To start with buy what suits your needs and not your wants if money is limited . I know when I say a young newly married and a couple small kids that always were hungry my funds were limited so I bought what I needed sometimes that was also the one I wanted but sometime not . Remember bills the mrs and kids come first . Pick common calibers like you mentioned the 30-06 is outstanding and very flexible . If wereme is look for an older 70's-90's era Rem 700 bdl or Winchester 70 both will hold their value if taken care of . Id rather have an older rifle like that then the new modern era plasticstocked stuff that's selling now .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Moderator Emeritus

offering advice is so subjective.

Here is what happened to me.
    I started with a pistol...then there were 5.
    I swapped a few of them for a Mil surp...then there were 10...then there were 25.
    Then I swapped a fistful of Mil surps for a custom Mauser...then there were 6.
    Then I started buying handguns again...too many to count.
    Then I started casting, all of a sudden I needed a gun in every caliber.
    Then I was overwhelmed
    Then about 30 years after I had bought the first gun, I had an auction, sold most of them ...Best day ever.

Anyway, my suggestions to you, is to buy a revolver in 41 mag... a Levergun is sure to follow
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I wouldnt buy another firearm until I had all the equipment needed to reload. Then you can tailor load the ammo for the guns you already purchased and the ones you want to purchase.
    Its a good time to be buying components or firearms as the market has tanked on both since President Trump was elected.
    East Tennessee

I'd add a 308W, AR10 or bolt as it looks like you hunt. What would you gain with 270 or 06? What cal is the 99? I did shoot a Garand 06, long, long time ago. Never shot a 223 and don't really see any purpose for it. Developed to reduce weight for battlefield. Yes, it works but so many others do also.
    Might consider a 357/38 revolver if the mag fed get to be illegal.
    Whatever!

Banned
    The Op's list is a good foundation although I think I could let go of that 300 BLK AR pistol.

A good bolt action in .308 will do just about anything and I would pick a short action 308 over a long action .30-06 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's not that the .30-06 is a bad cartridge (it's a fantastic cartridge) but that the 308 will do everything the 06 will do out to about 600 yards and do it in a short action.
    A scout rifle configuration would be my choice if it was going to be a "one rifle does it all" weapon. That same rifle in 7mm-08 would be a VERY close second choice and maybe even a first choice if I was starting from scratch.

I'm a firm believer that everyone should have a good .22 rimfire rifle and the OP's 10/22 fits that need.

The one glaring hole in the OP's lineup is the lack of a 4" DA revolver chambered in 38 Special or .357mag. I'm not sure there's a better handgun out there for a "one gun" handgun than a good 4" DA revolver chambered in 38 Special. A good 4" S&W K-frame or a 4" Ruger GP-100 would be near the top of my "to be acquired next" list.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

For those of you who don't know him.....Chris is a fine young man who used to come to the chat room often to talk guns and had a huge interest in learning. I haven't seen him much since his marriage but I'm glad to see him still posting and learning.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooter93 View Post
    For those of you who don't know him.....Chris is a fine young man who used to come to the chat room often to talk guns and had a huge interest in learning. I haven't seen him much since his marriage but I'm glad to see him still posting and learning.
    Thanks! I pop in from time to time. Mostly reading, but occasionally posting as time allows. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    To start with buy what suits your needs and not your wants if money is limited . I know when I say a young newly married and a couple small kids that always were hungry my funds were limited so I bought what I needed sometimes that was also the one I wanted but sometime not . Remember bills the mrs and kids come first . Pick common calibers like you mentioned the 30-06 is outstanding and very flexible . If wereme is look for an older 70's-90's era Rem 700 bdl or Winchester 70 both will hold their value if taken care of . Id rather have an older rifle like that then the new modern era plasticstocked stuff that's selling now .
    We have several pawn shops around with no shortage of old Remington’s, savages, and the like. What should I look for in an old wood stocked used gun?

I figured one of the older Rem700’s (or the like) would be a good workhorse and hand me down to one of my girls when they get big enough.

Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The Op's list is a good foundation although I think I could let go of that 300 BLK AR pistol.

A good bolt action in .308 will do just about anything and I would pick a short action 308 over a long action .30-06 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's not that the .30-06 is a bad cartridge (it's a fantastic cartridge) but that the 308 will do everything the 06 will do out to about 600 yards and do it in a short action.
    A scout rifle configuration would be my choice if it was going to be a "one rifle does it all" weapon. That same rifle in 7mm-08 would be a VERY close second choice and maybe even a first choice if I was starting from scratch.

I'm a firm believer that everyone should have a good .22 rimfire rifle and the OP's 10/22 fits that need.

The one glaring hole in the OP's lineup is the lack of a 4" DA revolver chambered in 38 Special or .357mag. I'm not sure there's a better handgun out there for a "one gun" handgun than a good 4" DA revolver chambered in 38 Special. A good 4" S&W K-frame or a 4" Ruger GP-100 would be near the top of my "to be acquired next" list.
    I’d like to have a GP100 in .357 one day, but have also looked at a smaller revolver to carry when the Glock is too big.

Why 7mm-08 over .30cal?

Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

Let me start out by saying I own a 7/08 and like it VERY much, but the op isn't a reloader as of now and 7/08 ammo isn't as common as 30/06 in every podunk country store and is more costly to buy. The truth is anything from a 243 up through the 30/06 can fill the bill for a big game rifle most places. The 06,270,30-30,308, and 243 will be the least expensive rounds to buy off the shelf.

Boolit Master
    Winchester 94 30-30
    AR15 in 5.56
    90's to early 00's Winchester Model 70 in 270(its an M70 at a good price and I love mine)
    CZ75 or variant
    223 bolt gun, Axis or Howa
    Marlin Model 60
    Some of these I own and love, some are on my list. Ive sold guns. Don't do it. Not until its been sitting for 15 years and you decide to shoot it at the range just one last time. Then keep it for another 15 years and be happy the whole time.

The thing about reloading is the caliber and cartridge equipment costs helps one focus on firearm purchases. If you have to consider dies, maybe a powder, a mold or two, bullet sizer it tends to give one a reason to buy a 38 and 357 magnum because molds for one make bullet that fit the other. Same sizer, same dies even. Nice lever gun in same caliber then looks good. Buying ammo those two pistols and rifle might well be in three different calibers. Price brass too, some of the less common calibers the brass can be pretty pricey.

I think a decent .30 caliber bolt gun with scope is an excellent choice. I have mixed feelings about AR platform but the folks that point out they are a good value right now are correct. I am also not sure the purpose of the AR pistol but hey sometimes we own things just for the wow factor or because it pleases us. A firearm is a tool. Think about the job the specific tool is well designed to do, and buy tools that meet needs you have. Some folks like collecting, nothing wrong with that, me I would like to be able to say "I have that because it allows me to...." and what follows can be wack prairie dogs to hunt hogs, to hit target at 30 yards and fits in an inside the pants holster that I can wear with a t-shirt. Piece of history, or fun to shoot or... but if you have a decent reason to own there is a good chance you will keep it for a long time.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    As someone said "a 30-06 is never a mistake". Old rem 700 or even a post '64 model 70 won't break the bank. Still a lot of surplus cases out there for this caliber. Scopes, don't skimp on them. Leupold is my favorite and a couple and do not regret the money. Handguns, definitely the 45 acp in a 1911A1 or clone thereof. Easy to load for, store bought hard cast bullets plenty of brass. Revolvers in either 38 special or 357 magnum. Ar market is swamped with bargains, buy a known brand ammo is also cheap. And again don't skimp on the ar's. 22's Ruger MKIII or MKIV, cheap,reliable and accurate. Reloading gear, good single stage to start as you get more proficient maybe a Dillon is your next step. Dies either RCBS or Redding. Reloading manuals, get at least two to double check powder charges,bullet weights. Hint, IMR 4350 was made for the 30-06 with 165 grain bullets. Frank

Boolit Master
    gp100 is a great gun 357 so it will shoot either and the 308w in a bolt gun is a perfect choice,short action is always my choice,7mm-08 is a good caliber,my wife shoots one but if youre only gonna have 1 308w ammo is cheap,reloading and casting for it a fairly easy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast