Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Utility of a 223 Bolt Action

Banned

The Compass has a 5.56 chamber.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Do not use 5.56 NATO in a .223
    It all depends on how tight the chamber is, far to many people get a finish reamer and manually twist a longer leade in and have no issues.

However it has been proven that 5.56 is a meaningless headstamp unless it also has the NATO cross as well. That is because
    1. Europe mandates .223 and 5.56 is still the same cartridge, I couldn't get the exact allowance from customer service with CIP but I believe they use the original M193 load which ACTUALLY IS the ORIGINAL SAAMI .223 55 gr FMJ load with different head stamp
    2. Civilian companies are not required to stay with a specific chamber limit, according to FEDERAL customer service, they can use the original M193 chamber pressure limit of52,000 psi with a 62 gr FMJ, or they can use the NEWEST upper pressure limit of 64,00psi(?). While actual NATO cross stamped ammunition will remain faithful to the actual cartridge designation, ie M194, M855, and so on.

3. Most AR companies use the 5.56x45 chamber to make their ".223 Remington" marked Ar-15 barrels.

4. Norma or Nosler has loading data for ".223 Remington" and "5.56x45" using the same projectile, seating depth, over all length. And the .223 will have a higher max powder charge then the 5.56x45 version.

5. SOME people have said that a .223 Remington chamber, to the original SAAMI specification, will NOT be able to fire bullets larger then 55 grains. However I have yet to see anyone other then T/C making a .223 Remington barrel in anything slower then a 1:9 twist.
    Savage uses 62 or 69 grain Sierra Match Kings for target testing of .223 rifles. BECAUSE ITS ACCURATE. Thus one can assume that their chamber leade is NOT the standard SAAMI from the 1960s.
    And I BELIEVE we can all agree that a .223 case loaded with the same 62 grain FMJ will have the same physical dimensions as a 5.56 case with that same bullet loaded.

Utility of a 223 Bolt Action

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Here in North Texas, I could get by just fine with a 223 bolt action. I would want one like an older Remington 700 ADL with a wood stock and a 24-inch Barrel.
    If you can shoot well, it is plenty of gun for deer and Hogs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I rebarreled a .222 Remington 700 ADL to .223. It was only a 22 inch Shaw 1/9 short-chambered drop-in barrel. Peep sight and small bead front sight. It’s a lot of fun to shoot .55 gn anythings. I had hard extractions at first but lengthened the throat. It may have been rough or short or both. Not sure. I am not a gunsmith. Works fine now. Brownells did not have a short chambered Shilen in 223 at the time. If I rebarrel it again I will use Shilen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Few years ago I came home with a used Savage/Stevens 200 in .223, for something around $200, if memory serves.

Had had the barrel shortened to 16.25", and as it turns out the throat lengthened for ??? reason. Have two loads for it - one is Red Dot with a thin-skinned 45 grain hollowpoint. At 2000 fps it's a reloadable .22 Rimfire Magnum that is sudden death on garden raiders without a lot of muzzle blast. The other is a caseful of Varget and a 55 grain softpoint, which has accounted for the only coyote I've ever had a shot at here. The Red Dot load zeroes at 80 yards, the Varget load at 150, so I never touch the scope.

It still has the OEM plastic stock. When I first got it, it wasn't anything to brag about for accuracy, but I did some fitting and scraping on it, just as it I were fitting a wood stock, and now it shoots both loads 1 MOA three times out of five, so no need for an aftermarket stock.

I'm a dedicated curmudgeon when it comes to "everybody's got one" cartridges. Many of my rifles shoot long-obsolete numbers like .32 Ideal, .25-20 Stevens, and .25-21, not to mention my stable of .22 Lovells, but this cheap .223 has been a very fine utility gun for the farm. Only thing I fault it for now is the lousy magazine. I shimmed and fiddled it so it feeds, but it's still a PITA to fill. Not that it matters much - I've never yet needed a followup shot.

So yes, even a cheap .223 bolter is almost mandatory, until you need to hunt critters bigger than coyotes. Perfect intermediary between .22 LR and the high powered .25s and .30s.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I bought a .222 Rem in 1970.
    It is fun to shoot but other than targets plinking and varmits it is pretty worthless. I killed a really nice buck with it one time. Performance at near 200 yards was pitiful. I clipped the buck in the spine but the bullet did not penetrate more than about 3 inches.
    I have never bought another .22 centerfire except a .22 Hornet for killing time. It is just a reloadable SUPER .22 WMR
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Do not use 5.56 NATO in a .223
    I think if you check, most bolt gun mfgs chamber the .223 to take 5.56 NATO cartridges.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I can't imagine you would not like a .223 rifle , for the longest while I just had two bolt rifles in that chambering . Then I lent my 700V to a friend who had really and truly worn the barrel off his 22-250 . He came back about two weeks later wanting to buy the varmint special !

So to replace it I got an Axis ..................... that needed the stock replaced so it would shoot right . Then I got a CZ and have been happy ever after it seems ..... I'm not certain there is a better deal anywhere .

I've got a lot of cast loaded for them and the rifles are setup for different uses but I enjoy them all .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Super Moderator

.............I had an 01 FFL from 1982 until 2001. One of the first firearms I purchased was a Savage M112 single shot in 223. This was just after their re-organization and the long actions were all they made at the time. My M112 is a single shot (solid receiver, no mag cut out) and I paid $285 + shipping for it. LONG before the Accu-Trigger It has a 26" heavy barrel with a 12" twist. It shoots like a laser beam. In fact it is also an outstanding cast lead shooter too!

This is it up on my 'Varmint Tower'.

In the 'Killing Fields' In case anyone is interested, my shooting tower disassembles into 10 pieces. The table and seat will rotate 270 degrees around the center post. Even as a single shot, and with the heavy barrel you can get it warmed up very nicely when the rats are active. I removed the ejector so my brass doesn't hit the ground. Since it's a single shot lifting the empty out doesn't add much time to each reload.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Bub
    Cheap Ammo???
    Cheap Rifles??????

WTH, isn't this a Handloaders Forum anymore?

The typical barrel twist of most factory sporters is 1:14(rem) or 1:12.... Great for 40gr woodchuck bullets, but lousy for realizing the potential of the .223 UNLESS you're shooting Cast Boolits of regular alloy.

The 1:8 twist on the Tikka T3s is accommodating for up to 80gr bullets. If you want something for 300yds or more, you want heavy bullets.

Cheap factory ammo ain't very cheap. Unless you're buying Winchester, the cases are poor. Don't handload? Why not? You're only cheating yourself...
    Unless you're shooting Lake City or WCC you get junk cases in mil-spec. 40% of your ammo cost is in the case. Why throw it away?
    LC/WCC are super quality. If you're only shooting a "blaster" then it don't matter, but for accuracy at distance, buying 1x fired LC/WCC and loading your own to match specs will get you 1moa or much less if you have a decently built rifle. Cost is amazingly low in volume. About 250rds per lb of powder, look at Nosler bthp bulk pack bullets... They're excellent and cheap.

If you spend any money on a new bolt .223 and it don't have a 1:8 (or 1:7) barrel twist, you've locked yourself out from the best performing ammo for the .223... If you cast your own, go heavy and load ww alloy.

Boolit Master
    I have a Savage Axis w/o the accutrigger, and I like it very much. When a varmint shows up in my backyard, I don't grab my 22rf, I grab the Axis. One advantage, you don't have to chase your brass.

Boolit Man
    For a number of years I ran an 8 twist Tikka T3 .223 before trading it to a friend (who I think is a member here). I tend to use my ARs more but I still may end up with another "just because". It was a legitimate 1" at 200 yards gun with 52 grain SMKs pushed by H335. Phenomenal gun.

It accounted for at least 50 coyotes. Below is a pic of my (now 16) daughter on her first hunt with me. She was immensely proud. As the dog was slinking in she jumped up and yelled "DAD LOOK A COYOTE!" fortunately I managed to get him as he was turning tail and departing for parts unknown.

Anyways, I have always enjoyed the bolt action .223s. Not only for their low recoil characteristics, but also as long range shooters. They are a fantastic way to learn to shoot in the wind. I have few steel plates up at my cabin and in the process of ringing the steel at 600, 700 and 800 yards, you really learn to read the wind, and how it affects the projectiles. BTW, this is done with 77 grain SMKs, not the light varmint bullets.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I have the first model 223 axis and I like it.. like most here have already said, lots of easy to get brass, mine likes the cast 55g Lee Bator, with 6 grains of red dot... and a little goes a long ways. I don’t own a 22... the 223 is my 22.. get one. Yes the stock is a plastic ***.. yes the Borg made it. Yes it shoots great.

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fn1889m View Post
    I rebarreled a .222 Remington 700 ADL to .223. It was only a 22 inch Shaw 1/9 short-chambered drop-in barrel. Peep sight and small bead front sight. It’s a lot of fun to shoot .55 gn anythings. I had hard extractions at first but lengthened the throat. It may have been rough or short or both. Not sure. I am not a gunsmith. Works fine now. Brownells did not have a short chambered Shilen in 223 at the time. If I rebarrel it again I will use Shilen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I think ER Shaw uses tight throats in general. I had them rebarrel my Howa 1500 .30'06 to 1:10 twist .257 Roberts. Clambering with new brass and 117 grain Hornady slugs seated in the crimping groove was difficult at best and resulted in a lot of cracked necks. The problem disappeared when I started seating them to a short action length, 2.75. That rifle shoots a lot better than I can!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I think ER Shaw uses tight throats in general. I had them rebarrel my Howa 1500 .30'06 to 1:10 twist .257 Roberts. Clambering with new brass and 117 grain Hornady slugs seated in the crimping groove was difficult at best and resulted in a lot of cracked necks. The problem disappeared when I started seating them to a short action length, 2.75. That rifle shoots a lot better than I can!
    Interesting. I would have thought that the tight throat would have reduced brass working and prolonged brass life, less excessive pressure, of course. Any theories why it caused neck cracking?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Interesting. I would have thought that the tight throat would have reduced brass working and prolonged brass life, less excessive pressure, of course. Any theories why it caused neck cracking?
    Maybe just need to trim your brass or turn the necks down just a touch and see if that makes a difference.
    I would also check bullet dia. With a micrometer and compare it to your other brand or size of bullets.
    Any or all of these could potentially cause cracks or checking in case necks if oversize or out of spec.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123