Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the fastest you can push a .44 magnum .430,240grn with powder coating

Boolit Mold

What is the fastest you can push a .44 magnum .430,240grn with powder coating

I'll be shooting these rounds in a marlin lever action carbine......I thought I would start out at around 1200fps.
    Let me know what you guys are doing with this round.
    TNX in advance.
    swynn

Boolit Grand Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...d-Alternatives

Several threads here about PC and velocity...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Light Speed of course.

Boolit Mold
    Of course

Boolit Master

Banned

Still goes by boolit weight and pressures. You can shoot a PB uncoated boolit to max with a good lube. Powder coating does not let you go over.

Boolit Master
    I think you'd be looking at the same velocities as with conventional lube, which depending on what powder you use and barrel length could be in the 1700-1800 fps range on the high end.

Boolit Master
    Prob as fast as data will let you get away with. I've shot 308 at around 2200 fps much higher pressure round and semi auto to boot I'm thinking top data

Boolit Mold
    Tnx for the input guys...

Boolit Grand Master

I'm with 44man. I load and shoot PB boolits of ACWW or range scrap right to max velocity in my Marlin and no leading issues. I wouldn't bother with PC for that use unless you are getting leading fro some reason (like tight spots in the bore which I had but removed).

PC'ing certainly wouldn't hurt, I just don't think it is necessary for this application.

YMMV

Longbow

Boolit Master
    PC doesn't have an established upper velocity limit. It does, however have the same accuracy limitations at high velocities as uncoated lead. So you can very likely break 3000fps without leading with a good powder coat, but you will likely have abysmal accuracy. Likewise, peak accuracy is still alloy dependent with coated bullets although you can sometimes shoot much softer lead without lead deposits.

In short, powder coating fixes most leading problems, but accuracy still requires most of the same rules as traditional lead bullets.

Generally if you are using powder coated bullets and you do get lead deposits in your barrel it is because the coating is being broken through firing somehow. If your barrel has a sharp lead to the throat is what I have seen as the common culprit. Another suspect would be shaving lead during seating.

Keep in mind that powder coat is a somewhat experimental field so some of this information may become obsolete with further experimentation.

Middle America, Missouri was moved to east of I-435
    "(T)he fastest you can push a .44 magnum .430,240grn with powder coating"

Going with a good coating that has not been compromised during the loading, both case and weapon, process, the correct answer is as fast as any other bullet of the same weight with the given powder. In my opinion, as fast as any jacketed bullet of the same weight. Yes, their is some change due to the hardness of the bullet in the barrel but minor adjustment to compensate for the change in pressures, the same or nearly the same velocities should be achievable.

However:
    With no velocity limit set (do to leading or other physical break down of the bullet), the length of the bullet in relationship to the barrel's twist may well come into play for proper stabilization. Velocity is one of the prime factors in stabilization and exceeding the velocity point that proper stabilization can be maintained is very possible. So, the question of 'the fastest you can push' becomes more of a question of is this with accuracy or just speed only?

I commonly push little 130 grain, 30 caliber cast lead with powder coating to well over 2800 FPS (2877.4 FPS measured at 10 feet) from a 22 inch .308/7.62 and have had no stability problems. The rifle does have a 1 in 11 twist. How accurate are these loads? Fine for me but I have macular degeneration and 'pin-point' accuracy is a problem for me. 20:20 with white fog in the way.

The final answer is 'fast'.

Enjoy,

OSOK

I can run plain based, conventional lubed to 1400fps w/o issue, not even hard cast. I would think the coating would hold up to any vel you can get in a 44mag.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Mold
    I am relatively new to all this and by no means an expert. Here’s my 44 experience:
    I cast and powder coat relatively soft scrap range lead at various weight for the 44mag: 143, 165, 240gc, and 310gc. For the 143swc and 165rn I am using those inside and never push them over 900 ft./s. The 240 grain gas check I load hot with H110 up to 25 grains. No tumbling and decent grouping at 125yds (shooter limitation, red dot not good to 125,etc, mainly the shooter). For the 310 grain I use 21gr H110. They are monsters. I am on my lunch break and don’t have my load data in front of me but I believe I ran those thru the chronograph at upwards to 1400 ft./s. No real reason to make or use those as I only hunt deer but they are just a ton of fun to shoot at concrete blocks etc. I received this load data from a Hodgdon tech when I called for Powder help. He says he casts and shoots this same load with lubed 310 grain for very successful hog hunting. It should be noted that we are using Ruger SRH 7 1/2. Disclaimer: I have also talked to Ruger tech and they do not advise using a 310 grain bullet. Too much pressure. His warning was was something along the lines of “we have blown the tops off SRH with these loads on the test line. Why the hell would you want to make a Casull out of a 44 mag? Are you an idiot? That being said the original point was powder coating works well and I never have any trace of anything in the barrel after a shooting all afternoon.
    143 is an Accurate Mold 43-143M (my design)
    165 also Accurate Mold 43-165CM (also my design, never made it into catalogue &#128533
    210gc and 310gc Lee 6 cavity

Boolit Man
    I shoot the max load in a SW 69 revolver and a Ruger carbine with no problems. I mostly load 700X and PC.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I can run plain based, conventional lubed to 1400fps w/o issue, not even hard cast. I would think the coating would hold up to any vel you can get in a 44mag.
    Agreed
    I push my 358 win rifle loads to top book velocities
    I can't see why a 44 mag would be any different
    you can't get the same velocity out of a 44 as you can a 358
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I enjoy reading older topics, so I also enjoy it when folks post in them to add a fresh outlook on things.

While I am not into pushing my 44mag up to or past Max velocities, I still enjoy reading about the doins of those that do.

BTW, I would also like to remind some though, that one should not expect replies from "some" of the ones who posted earlier, as "time" has a way of interfering with some folks being able to do so, and some are not around to post replies.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Mold
    JB Mn- I was looking up powder coat data to see what other folks were doing for max velocity and ran across this old thread. Thought I’d throw some of my new data about it in case anyone was thinking about doin the same thing I am. I’m havin really great luck with powder coating for the indoor and outdoor ranges. Thought I’d pass along. Same as you, I read the older posts, very helpful to me

Boolit Buddy
    As a ''GOLDILOX CLUB'' member I stay @ 1000fps. Not too fast. Not too slow. Jess Rite

Boolit Master
    leave the 44 mag for a handgun and step up to a 444marlin for a carbine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast