RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CZ Scorpion fired out of battery

Boolit Master

CZ Scorpion fired out of battery

My 20 yr old step daughter was shooting my CZ Scorpion. She has limited gun experience. She really had no idea about how the gun recoiled or when it actually fired. She was shooting a 20rd mag and this happened in the middle of the mag.

I loaded the ammo. It was close to max with a 147gr PC bullet.

The shell extracted but was not ejected from the gun. Nothing was jammed. This case was in the action and it was not locked back.

Looks to me as if the firing pin hit the primer when the case was partrially chambered.

The dark line is not a crack. Its just discoloration . the case is completely intact. Never seen anything even close to this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190108_203804.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	233575
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190108_203930.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	233576

Had a similar thing happen with a 9mm carbine. Was shooting it and had a puff of smoke and burning on my left forearm. The ejected case had blown out and looking at the ground there were several ballooned up cases along with one that had ruptured. Checking out the gun, what had happened was a small amount of sand had got in the gun and was keeping it open by about 1/8" to 3/16". Ended up with what looked like mild sunburn on the inside of my left forearm from where the gas came out of the magwell, deflected off of the drum then onto my forearm. They were mild 124gr cast loads and the gun was shooting normally up until then.

Banned
    talk about an unsupported chamber.... oh the superior automatic.

Boolit Buddy
    Very interesting how that case has deformed, thanks for sharing. That's wild!

I have zero experience with the Scorpion so I can't speculate as to the mechanical causes, but I am very glad the case did not actually burst and cause any distress or injury to your daughter. While even in that case it probably would be minor it for sure could have soured her on shooting.

Boolit Master
    Glad she didn’t get hurt. That is really strange looking. You wouldn’t think that brass could stretch that far and not separate. I wouldn’t think it would balloon like that unless it was very soft.

Boolit Buddy

This one should go in your cartridge collection!!! Really symmetrical swell, would be hard to make one like that on purpose. Glad no harm came from it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    It took me a second staring at the picture wondering "what sort of widget is that case inserted into?" before I realized it was just the case! No sleep last night though, that's my excuse :P

Dang, definitely glad that wasn't worse! Something to figure out and fix, definitely.

Boolit Master
    I posted a pic because it was so odd. My personal opinion is the brass is not weak at all but of exceptional quality. I think the quality is why it was able to form completely symmetric. Just my opinion.

What ever allowed it was certainly rare.

Boolit Master

That's nearly perfect.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    GARD72977,

I am Very glad to read that no one was hurt or worse, and what an amazing thing to see!

Thanks for sharing!

--------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    It took me a second staring at the picture wondering "what sort of widget is that case inserted into?" before I realized it was just the case! No sleep last night though, that's my excuse :P

Dang, definitely glad that wasn't worse! Something to figure out and fix, definitely.
    You are not alone. Early this morning I did the same thing, thinking it was a case inserted into something else.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master
    Glad no injuries. Had a Colt 9mm AR do a similar thing. The owner is a reasonable gun guy, but we never decided why it happened.

Boolit Buddy

I have had several instances in sub guns that produced the same bulged ring, and every time it was caused by a case separation that left the front portion of the case in the chamber, thus a short chamber depth and out of battery ignition.

You dont say whether you continued to shoot after the incident. When I first read the "CZ Scorpion, 147gr " I thought 32acp, 147gr, close to max, ....WOW .. A closer look at the headstamp explained what you didnt indicate in the post. Also is it a semi auto or NFA weapon? I would bet on an under-resized case or a fouled chamber of some sort. Just some thoughts with my AM coffee...

Vendor Sponsor

Balloon head cases what a rarity
    Glad everyone is OK
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

It surely does say a lot for the strength of that brass case!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Wow. I saw a case bulged/swollen out, but not ruptured from a 1911 that a guy had overdone the ramp job at the rear of the barrel.
    But nothing like that. Its surprising the case didn't rupture out like a piece of pop corn.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    The gun is standard 9mm scorpion 16" BBL.

I'm not sure what caused the cartridge to not chamber. We had shot over 100 rd from the same lot ( my reloads) . The gun had no chamber obstruction and was fairly clean. After I examined the gun and found nothing wrong I shot mag through it. Never malfunctioned again.

I'm just not sure if the firing pin was stuck toward or what. I would like to know what caused it to fire.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0617171926.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	233620

Boolit Master
    Was that mixed headstamp brass and did you check with a case gage?

Boolit Master
    Yes mixed brass. It was loaded on a Dillon 1050. Did not check with case gauge.

Boolit Master

Does it dry fire with the bolt retracted?

Boolit Buddy

Have you put a magnet to it to see if it is some of that brass washed steel that seems to be more common?
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast