WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Abandoning a manufacturer

A 30-30 m700 is as near as your loading bench if you have one in .300 Savage, .308, or .30-06. Fixed it for you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    A 30-30 m700 is as near as your loading bench if you have one in .300 Savage, .308, or .30-06. Fixed it for you.
    IF you could provide me with a large supply, well a supply, of the 150 grain super X jacketed hollow point that Winchester uses for their 30-30 ammo. THAT bullet has been the INSTANT dropping round that every wonder caliber claims to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Yes, the 1916 was originally 7x57mm(.473") bolt face. We all call it the 06 case head- but the 8x57mm started it all. Sorry for the 8mm plug
    Go ahead and plug the 8x57. That 120 yr old round would work for just about anything(and has) if it was a guys only gun---heaven forbid only 1 gun though.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    I hear about those guns all the time. Never can seem to find one that isn't missing extractors, ejectors, and magazine.

Lots of folks on here claim to have converted a model 700 to use 30-30. Just have NEVER seen hide nor hair of these mythical rifles.
    I see the Savage 340 in 30-30 fairly regularly, online. Occasionally I see the more rare version in .222. Interestingly the mag used is the same. Of course I don't think it would be a help to you, as it's in Canada. I bought one once as I was intrigued with the idea of running one at higher pressure with a spitzer.

A little reading however confirmed that the rifle wasn't a strong action, and the bullets either seemed to be too light for much ballistic advantage or heavier and designed for higher velocity. It was pretty clearly a budget rifle of the day, compared to the higher priced guns. It didn't cycle badly, but wasn't a prize, and I hated the way the safety felt. It wasn't intuitive which way was "safe", and seems only held by friction. Bought a side mount for a scope for it, and mounted a old Armsport fixed 4X on it. Was a good match, and it seemed like it showed promise as a shooter, but the trigger was gritty and creepy. Got it with 2 magazines, which functioned well enough, but I always had trouble getting the newer looking mag to click into place.

Had a decent looking piece of wood underneath the varnish; and I worked around the stamped checkering, and stained it lighter. I wasn't in love with it, though and decided that someone else might get more enjoyment out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaPell View Post
    I have to say that most of the newer gun companies have soured me. I have no use for what I see being put out by Remington. I have heard and seen too many horror stories from my local gunsmith of guns he's gotten back only to send them back to the factory, then get them back still having issues. I looked at a couple of new 870 shotguns recently, and I think that they're being lubricated with sand, the actions were gritty and didn't feel at all like any 870's I remember.

Marlin, I can't say how sad it makes me to see what happened to them. I saw a 1895 Stainless gun on the rack at the local gun shop lately in .45-70, it was new. When I looked down the barrel with a light, there was almost no rifling, you couldn't even feel it with your finger. They happened to have a JM 1895 next to it, blued, the difference was amazing with the rifling, it was a mid 1990's gun, and the fit of the wood was like night and day to the stainless gun. It was sad to see the older example and how much better it was.
    I have been hearing of people having more and more issues with Savage lately. My brother in law got an Axis in .270 and he couldn't hit anything with it, the accuracy was horrendous, and then he found out why. After he sent it to Savage, they found that about halfway down the barrel, no rifling for about an inch or so, not there, never was there. They sent the gun back to him, and he said that even though they fixed it, the accuracy was still lousy. One of his friends had bought an Axis, not sure the caliber, but that one was having trouble too and the factory hadn't been able to remedy it. I have heard of problems with their semi auto .17 HMR from a few folks, mostly trying to find some brand of ammo that will cycle.

I haven't seen much from the new Winchester guns, I know I can't afford them. I remember buying my first one when I was 18, a new Model 94 for $249 in 1994. Now that gun new is over $1,000. I would rather track down an original for that price. I do like the looks of the new 1873 but haven't seen one up close to say if I would spend the money.

I have also heard Thompson Center has quit with all their traditional style blackpowder guns, like the Hawken, the Renegade, etc. I haven't seen that personally, but if that's the case, I'm done with them. I was never a fan of inlines, and those of us that do shoot the percussion and flintlock guns would like to have somewhere to go that doesn't rely on just the Italian companies.
    I wouldn't bother with one of the Savage Axis rifles, though some seem to like them. If you are bound and determined to tinker with them, they are cheap. I wouldn't have a problem with the higher class Savages, and would buy one with no misgivings. Actually did, as a local store had a really good sale on. Compared it side by side with a Ruger Gunsite Scout, but that the Ruger had a very small chip in the fore end and the barrel did not look completely centered convinced me to pick up the Savage. I should have bought the Scout, as I probably would have kept it. Sold the Savage unfired to a friend, as I didn't find a scope mount, and decided I'd rather have a 7mm RM, than a .300 WM, and I had few 30 cal rifles already.

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy4477 View Post
    I looked at a new Remlin 1894 at the last gunshow we had. Cheap looking thing almost like a china cap gun. Wood looked fake and fit was awful, blueing looked painted on. $1000 plus price tag.
    Same with a few of the new winchesters I saw, just cheap looking careful how you hold it might break upon firing type of things.

I like Marlins but not the new ones. Oldest I have is a 1952 model 39, excellent fit and finish. My 99 1894 and 2000 1895cb are both decent rifles with personality and still well built.

A lot of good companys are dying off, changing hands, downsizing and ect. The dollar has became more important than any item made, cheap throw away stuff nowadays!
    The consumer does it to themselves. We won't pay good money for a nice gun when we can get something made overseas for cheaper. Never liked the feel of the Winchester levers, though I never shot a pre 64 lever much. I believe Dad had one in .218 Bee. I always liked the Marlins, and I think Dad preferred them also.

Probably in about one year everything I bought had a problem right out of the box.

Bought a rebadged Hatsan air rifle, but after a while the trigger or anti bear trap mechanism failed making it near impossible to get to fire. Went back to Cabelas and they exchanged it quickly. Hatsan despite being able to sell guns pretty cheaply are fairly well regarded. Although I traded up to a PCP gun. The PCP has a worse trigger, but easier to shoot for me vs. a magnum springer.

Had a Norinco pump shotgun. It was one of the "780" guns. Though the newer ones are supposed to be decent, this one was a poorly made piece of junk. Sent it back, but came back the same. Eventually found someone who had a use for it. Have a couple of other Norcs that are decent.

Bought a Uberti 1873. Nice gun, but when I first took it out, I found the cylinder holes out of spec, and experienced high pressures and sticking brass. The store sent it back, and it came back fairly quickly with the cylinder in spec. At no cost.

Got a Savage model 40 in .22 Hornet. Technically, not NIB, but off a guy that shot about 1/2 shells before breaking the extractor. Probably could have got Savage to fix it, but it was an easy and cheap part to fix, and I just honed the rough chamber myself to fix it.

Boolit Master
    Buying new stuff just to have a never owned item is the wrong way to look at it. You can buy much higher quality used stuff if you know what to look for and you are patient.
    Though I can't afford to buy many rifles I found that above about $800 for a used rifle will buy spectacular bargains. Below that everyday shooters are competing with you. Above $800 seems to weed out the majority of the buyers and you can find good deals in used rifles and OU shotguns.
    EDG

AndyB1; I will NEVER buy another Schultz &Larsen rifle. They won't answer their phone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    30-30

Why the obsession with a repeater?

A decent accurate 30-30 gets the job done in the hunting field with one shot.

That said; Ruger No1 , Encore with custom barrel properly throated, Henry new single shot.

Or buy a Henry repeater. Next to Springfeild they THE best product warranty on Mother Earth.

That said when companies are owned by huge investment firms they have responsibility to the stock holders and that is PROFIT above anything else. Nuff said about Remington ,Marlin or any of the Freedom Group Holdings.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    30-30

That said; Ruger No1 , Encore with custom barrel properly throated, Henry new single shot.

Or buy a Henry repeater. Next to Springfeild they THE best product warranty on Mother Earth.

That said when companies are owned by huge investment firms they have responsibility to the stock holders and that is PROFIT above anything else. Nuff said about Remington ,Marlin or any of the Freedom Group Holdings.......
    Yeah, I think the Henry is the best option for a nice lever now.

Or maybe an old Marlin from the 70s or 80s. If you want to spend money on something, and mount a scope, I think an old Marlin is the thing to do it on. Get it reblued, Cerakoted, or parkerized. Put on a nice laminate stock, or a nice piece of maple or walnut. Have the receiver colour case hardened... Drooling a little thinking about that, now. Custom wood and case hardening...

Now that's something everyone can enjoy!

Banned

If you have the money the Japanese Winchesters are the way to go.
    If you want speed and are willing to shoot standard pressure, a SASS tuned 73 is cannot be beat.
    After that it is all downhill in current production.

Boolit Master
    Most of the time when I’m looking to buy a new manufactured rifle, I’m looking for it to be a base gun that I’ll turn into something else.

I will say that the 7 Remington 700 classics I own have been very good rifles. Accurate enough, and easy to carry if I hunted anymore.

So have I sworn off a brand, not particularly. If I want something special then I’ll call the man in Arkansas to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    30-30

"Henry new single shot" . Now there is a 30-30 for about $400 in the real world and that would be cheaper that having a bolt face reworked and the feed rails massaged. The ones I've seen on Gunbroker had fairly nice walnut stocks. Has anybody here shot one of these new Henry's yet?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Hmm, that's what I thought too. I emailed Henry to ask about a 45 colt with a 1/20" twist but they politely told me that it was not in their plans at this time. Of course you can always down load the 45/70 to Colt speeds. You are right, $400 would buy a nice 336 but the little Henry looks very handy. I cant find one in my area to see in person.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Some bolt guns in 30-30 - https://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Actio...w=1&ca=5000053

Sadly some lever guns are listed in there too, sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB1 View Post
    There is a simple fix for all these woes. Don't buy new stuff that most people have figured out is junk.

Good older stuff is out there if you know what to buy.

Want a pump shotgun ? 1000s of older M12s and Wingmasters out there. The same is true for ANY gun you desire.

If you don't know ask one of us old farts.

Rather doubt I'd ever trade this 7x61 S&H for any 700 in 7mm remmag ---- and mine was cheaper ! (lower bolt lift, better trigger, as accurate and proper magnum 26" bbl)

Man,that is sweet.

Boolit Master

I wont buy a RUGER ! had 2 rifles , one was a #3 with head seperations and the other a bolt very poor accuracy! they said headspace was within spec but you could close the action on a no go guage, the m77 went back 2 times for repair they put it in a new stock recrowned the barrel which looked like it was done with a chamfering tool and and some mod to another part, best group was 1" at 50 yards. Traded

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345