Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Abandoning a manufacturer

Guess that’s why I buy old, my last purchase was my 100 + yr old Webley. Before that I picked up an 1895 Browning rifle from the 1970s. The only company that I avoid is Lee, don’t like the collet deprimer/expander on their rifle dies. Broken a bunch of Auto Prime parts but they did replace the broken parts that I mailed to them on my dime. And I actually like the original autoprime tool and pick them up whenever I stumble across one at a gunshow [they’ve don’t make the old ones anymore] but you don’t make tools out of pot metal.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I’ll keep buying Remington 700’s cause I know the platform. ( never had one that wouldn’t shoot accurately, with a little tuning) 870’s??? Best shotgun made. In my opinion only. Love the Krylon comment. I’ve done that before I must admit.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I really like my late model 870 Express 20 gauge. It shoots great and I really dont care if it gets scratches and dings from use. Sure sign of a working gun that earns its keep!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    After Browning BLR stainless metal,camo stock in 325 Win locked up even when empty when not wet with oil. Returned it to Browning, got it back, still locked up, that is unable to open action unless some sort of lubricant sprayed into rifle. Guess their 'gunsmith' sprayed it with oil a called it good. Haven't considered any product with the Browning name since. Still hunting with my Savage 99's.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I've been trying to buy a new 870TB buttstock from REMINGTON for 3 YEARS. They keep saying they aren't available. And yet they still catalog the TRAP Gun with a Monte Carlo stock. I even tried to buy the More EXPENSIVE TC Stock. I check 2-3 times a week, no luck. No service.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I snapped the stock of my .45-70 in two some time before 1990. I took it to a gunsmith expecting he would order a new stock for it. He said he could repair it and it would be a lot faster.

He epoxied it and put two brass pins through it. It still solid and has had a hard life. Maybe yours can be repaired too. If your’s is broken and that’s why you want a new one.
    I love the wingmasters. I bought one in ruff condition with a crack in the wrist. I brought it to the LGS (who have a gunsmith on staff), I've been a good customer of theirs, and when I asked their Smith about fixing it, he said it's an easy fix and gave me some pointers on how to correctly pin/glue it. After my fixing it, it seen considerable more use, before I sold it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    And they CANT do a rifle in 30-30 because the cartridge rim is "beyond them"..
    I honestly wouldn't fault their custom shop or the company in general for that one , they only ever chambered the 30-30 in the model 788 Which is in several ways very different than a 700 action biggest being mag fed . And it's not like they have 788 actions just sitting around and haven't made one in how many years now ?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    You can still get good stuff from Remington, and Marlin is gaining ground all the time, their quality is getting back to what it once was! As for lyman an Rcbs, never had an issue with any of their items, and I have more than a few. I have seen several bad Remington bolt rifles, with serious issues, new all of them. I have seen several Ruger revolvers as of late, that had sights crooked, grind marks on outside of frames and cylinders, and don't get me started about the MKIII, they have so much slop in them Brownells now makes shim kits for the hammers in them. There is good and bad in all of them, just do due diligence before buying anything nowadays!

Boolit Buddy
    That's all well and good, but Remington actually is putting out utter junk with no quality control or quality to start with for that matter, in a frantic race to the bottom to make as much money as they can before people clue into the fact that the only connotation the name "Remington" should invoke is "absolute garbage".

But hey, if you like shotguns that turn orange after a month in the safe and rattle like a spraycan, rifles with no rifling down most of the barrel or with magazines that dissemble and fly apart if you attempt to shot them, and the most botched pistol release in recent memory (the R51), then drink your fill.

I've gotten 2 700Adl rifles in the last 3 years that are good shooters a with no issues. I've also gotten a couple of 870 express shotguns that are very good guns. I live in Missouri and don't have any problems with any of those guns rusting. I'm more of a Winchester M70 or Ruger 77 can but I like my Remingtons. I wouldn't by one of those 51's though.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    So do I understand you correctly, you want to rebarrel a 700 to 30-30?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Agree on the new Remington and everything else they make.

If that's what you want (30-30 bolt action)- a Savage 340 or Rem 788 will cost less than converting a m700.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    This was an interesting post . it seems all the makers of most Gun related products have something wrong someplace . This is even true with private gunsmiths, the remaining that are left. the rate the way this is going all will be out soon.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    So due have to buy a Sako today to get a good gun. Are there any good manufacturers left in the US?

Banned
    Baltimoreed dos not know how to use the Lee collet die. I have loaded thousands and thousands of cast boolets for mil-surplus rifles with the best results. Most accurate and fastest to use with a Dillon.

Boolit Grand Master

I gave Remington the ax several years back, I kept a Black Diamond Nylon 66 and my my Model 11 26" ImpCyl barreled 12 ga. I just didn't trust them in the safe with my other rifles, bad influence you know!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I promised myself that I would NEVER buy another Imperial jack knife.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

After my son-inlaw and I each bought a R-51 when they first brought out the improved model and he bought me a 45-70 Marlin for fathers day that ended up having CHUNKS missing from the rifling. I'll never buy another Remington product. P's O S. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    I promised myself that I would NEVER buy another Imperial jack knife.
    Imperial was a cut above Sabre brand. Pun intended. But Schrade Walden got my money back then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast