RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Abandoning a manufacturer

Banned

Abandoning a manufacturer

Anyone else just said hell with a company and avoided all those products from then on? Ive finally hit my end with Remington today.

First they recommend me to an authorized center to rebarrel a rifle for me. A center that DOESNT understand what "rebarrel a rifle" means. Or just doesn't know how to do that.

Then the custom shop, which claims it cant take a regular production rifle off the floor like a 700 bdl and slap a 7x57 barrel on it so I would have the features I want on it. And they CANT do a rifle in 30-30 because the cartridge rim is "beyond them".

I was thinking on a 1911 if my rifle project fell through, and I was looking at Remington because they have one I actuallylike the looks of. but not anymore.

I tend to look at newer Remington products with suspicion. Way too many complaints about quality.
    The products they were making back in the 70s through the 90s were very good. You knew what you were getting when you bought from them.
    Still a lot of the older Remington guns out there to pick up used.
    As to the 1911, there are more than a lot of them made by reputable manufacturers. Just need to find one you like. Preferably with the bells and whistles you want already installed.
    You can get one pretty much any way you like.

Boolit Buddy
    Remington and Marlin of old are gone, only the name remains as a shell. Stay far away.

Not so much a Manufacturer, but some local Businesses I have avoided for more than 20 years, all while making it known why. They will cheat you.

Boolit Master
    Any reason you wouldn't want to farm that job out to a gunsmith, or would Remington have done it cheaper (if they could have done it at all)?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I used to be a die hard Remington Fan. Dumped em back in the 80's when they changed the lube on their .22lr. And 870 Wingmasters were no longer available, it was all 870 express, or similar dumbed down versions. **** wood, **** fit/finish, nothing I have seen since has convinced me they are not still sliding down that slope.

While I still treasure my OLD remington's I don't see me buying a new one, of anything.

For ammo I look to Federal or PPU.

Lyman made me so mad I haven't bought from them in twenty years. I have a hard time even buying a used Lyman product.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Banned
    I haven't been able to find a gunsmith who understands the **** concept of a rifle in 30-30. The companies that "build rifles" like shilen only want to do it if you use THEIR proprietary rifle action.

and I wanted a rifle preferably in 30-30. And if Remington or Winchester could have done it I would have been happy. Unfortunately Remington wont, and Winchester doesn't any custom work. If you want "custom" Winchester, you gotta get a limited edition rifle from them.

Boolit Master

even 25+yrs ago, remingturd custom shop wasnt exactly a place of customs. if what you want isnt on their "build" list, they wont make it.

Boolit Master
    Remington is swirling the drain.........

Boolit Master
    Remington, Marlin, Winchester and Lyman are firearms or bullet molds lost my business years ago. Went through the expense of sending a Rem 700 Sendero and a Winchester m70 heavy barreled rifle in 308 win. Remington said it was within specs, and Winchester swore up and down that they had swapped out the brand new pitted barrel. They didn't as I marked the barrel prior to sending it to them. Seems Winchester had just gone to making their own hammer forged barrels and were going through teething problems. The pits on a brand new barrel were due to them not following all the required steps. Here you have a brand new rifle with pitting in the barrel. Marlin cause Remington bought them out and cheapened the brand name with substandard work. And with the exception of two Lyman molds all were undersized. In one case I sent back a 311284 and they recut the mold. Cherry cutter was so undersized it just barely left marks on the nose on one side. That is why I'm so glad to see custom mold companies like NOE and Accurate step up to the plate and give folks what they want. Frank

Boolit Grand Master
    RCBS left a bad taste in my mouth when I got stung by their Green Machine....man that was nearly 40 years ago. Never bought another press from them until I git a used RC about 8 years ago.

The only other case is my local John Deere dealer. Regrettably I have an older JD tractor so kind of stuck there. If/when I upgrade, I will go elsewhere.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    It’s getting harder and harder to find a good gunsmith. Most just assemble parts.

Boolit Grand Master

Felt the same way with Hornady. I’ll make exception for their XTP 41 mag bullets. Otherwise I look elsewhere.

I’ve bought a Marlin 45 Colt LE recently and it was better than several of my JM guns. So they can make a good one if they actually try. I’ve also had some JM turds. In general, Remington products are mass produced at lowest cost for max profit. My last Remington was an 11/87 maybe 12-15 years agoZ works fine but it’s no Beretta. Also didn’t cost like the beretta either.!

Boolit Master

I've been trying to buy a new 870TB buttstock from REMINGTON for 3 YEARS. They keep saying they aren't available. And yet they still catalog the TRAP Gun with a Monte Carlo stock. I even tried to buy the More EXPENSIVE TC Stock. I check 2-3 times a week, no luck. No service.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I've been trying to buy a new 870TB buttstock from REMINGTON for 3 YEARS. They keep saying they aren't available. And yet they still catalog the TRAP Gun with a Monte Carlo stock. I even tried to buy the More EXPENSIVE TC Stock. I check 2-3 times a week, no luck. No service.
    I snapped the stock of my .45-70 in two some time before 1990. I took it to a gunsmith expecting he would order a new stock for it. He said he could repair it and it would be a lot faster.

He epoxied it and put two brass pins through it. It still solid and has had a hard life. Maybe yours can be repaired too. If your’s is broken and that’s why you want a new one.

Boolit Master
    I agree about Remington. Until they resume actually HOT BLUEING their guns, I won't buy a new one - and probably won't even then. I finally sent my 870 Express out and had it parkerized, so I could keep it from rusting, just sitting in the air conditioned house! That black oxide finish they use should be illegal to apply to a firearm.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

This black oxide stuff, is that what Lyman uses? My break barrel Mustang will rust if it rains in Missouri, and I live in Tennessee. And they are hard to get along with.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Rossi was for years a really good budget marque, but everything about them has been going downhill since Taurus bought them. I have a 461 and it is just as nice as any late model S&W or Ruger. If it breaks, I'll pay a gunsmith to fix it myself.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I agree about Remington. Until they resume actually HOT BLUEING their guns, I won't buy a new one - and probably won't even then. I finally sent my 870 Express out and had it parkerized, so I could keep it from rusting, just sitting in the air conditioned house! That black oxide finish they use should be illegal to apply to a firearm.
    The Remington 870Express has been a good paint salesman for Krylon. I don't buy very many new guns at all so I can't really say much about it. I don't expect my gun buying habits to change much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast