RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: What bhn is it?

What bhn is it?

I'd like to confirm what the bhn is on a cast bullet cast from 50/50 ( coww/pure) with no tin and water quenched. On my LBT hardness tester my pointer falls between the 15 and the 20 hash marks which I assume to be 17 bhn. Does this sound about right?

Banned
    Download bumpo628 alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

or double check with the pencil hardness test.

Boolit Master
    Depends on the initial casting temp and the age of the bullets. Assuming recently cast from a 700° pot that sounds a little on the hard side to me. However, for bullets cast from a 750° pot and aged for two years, that is not out of the realm of my experience.
    My isotope lead page: http://fellingfamily.net/isolead/

Well I just cast up some 275gr. wfngc bullets for the 77/44 out of coww/pure (50/50) and water quenched. Pot temp was 700* to 750* on a 50* day and my reading about an hour later was averaging 12 bhn. They were running from 11 to 13 bhn. I checked some of the bullets that I sat aside to air cool and they were averaging 9 bhn.Readings from my LBT hardness tester.

Banned

like static line my 5050 ww/pure bullets water dropped come out at about 12bhn on my cabin tree tester.

Boolit Master
    Take a close look at the scale on your LBT tester: the scale is not linear, so about half way between 15 and 20 isn't around 17, but more like 18 or 19.

Your first reading seemed a little high, the later ones more consistent with what I've read for that alloy. Veral's instructions noted that individual readings can vary - I was told to average three separate readings, each taken from a part of the boolit distinct and separate from any prior test area. To me, with the small calibers I cast, that means three different boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Take a close look at the scale on your LBT tester: the scale is not linear, so about half way between 15 and 20 isn't around 17, but more like 18 or 19.

Your first reading seemed a little high, the later ones more consistent with what I've read for that alloy. Veral's instructions noted that individual readings can vary - I was told to average three separate readings, each taken from a part of the boolit distinct and separate from any prior test area. To me, with the small calibers I cast, that means three different boolits.
    Yep,I do see what you mean about the scale not being linear and even the Cabin Tree that I once had seemed that it always fell on an area where it left question to just what my bhn was for the alloys that I use,such as coww/air cooled or 50/50 water quenched.It most always ended in a guess.I usually take an average of maybe 5 or even 10 bullets when trying to come up with a figure.And just about 90% of the time,they are above what others may experience by several points,such as the case with my first readings that you discovered.When I take readings with the LBT tester,I try to be as consistent as I can be from one take to the next.
    I have a good bullet/load combination for my 77/44 which gives me good 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards using a Accurate 275 gr. WFNGC and I am using 100% coww, air cooled for those. I was hoping to have much of the same results with 50/50 and water quenched since I have a rather large supply of pure.