Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Dippers - Pistol increments

Boolit Master

Lee Dippers - Pistol increments

I am going to see if Lee can produce a set of pistol-increment dippers. And if they can't maybe someone else?

I have a set of Lee's yellow powder dippers which I find useful. But when I reload for 9mm or .38 spl I find that the increments at the lower end are insufficient to get good performance. Lee currently offers their set of 15 dippers for $10 in some places.

If they could make them in 0.05cc increments from 0.30cc to 1.00 cc that would make for an even 15 dippers so the cost should be close to $10.

However, if we went with a 15-dipper set in that range we would be duplicating a few already existing dippers that come in the other set (the 0.30, 0.50, & 1.00cc dippers). So would it make sense to omit those from the 15 and go with some others such as 1.10, 1.2, 1.4? Or maybe 0.20, 0.25cc?

I realize that once you get up to 1.2cc you can achieve similar volumes by double dipping with combinations of dippers. But it is just so much faster, nicer, and more consistent to use just one dipper.

Thoughts?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    For small charges it is easier to make your own, soldering a .22 LR case to a bent wire and dressing with file to exact charge. I forget who posted this graph on cutting down .22 LR fired cases for dip measures, I am reposting it here, so I appologize in advance to its original poster that I am unable to give him credit where due.

This is very useful info to have:

Attachment 233557

Click on graph to view full size. For those needing instant gratification a full-length .22 LR case meters 2.8 grains of Bullseye
    for 2 grains of Bullseye cut to 0.4"
    for 1.5 grains of Bullseye cut to 0.33"
    for 1.3 grains of Bullseye cut to 0.25"
    for 1 grain of Bullseye cut to 0.2"

Additional dip measures:

.25 ACP case measures 3.5 grains of Bullseye
    .32 ACP case measures 6 grains of Bullseye
    .380 ACP case measures 7 grains of Bullseye
    9mm case measures 8 grains of Bullseye

The above charges are only approximate and must be verified with a scale!

Correct method to use a dip measure is to place a small amount of powder in a container similar to a shot glass, then to lower the dip measure into the powder, letting the powder flow in of it own weight only. Raise up the dipper, then strike the powder off level using a pen knife or card. Confirm charge weight by dipping TEN charges onto your scale pan, then moving the decimal.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-08-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

File down a set of 9mm, 380, 32 and/or 25 cases to different heights for your required volumes, solder on a wire handle to each and call it good.

You can try to talk Lee into a new product, but new tooling for something that is not a growth market makes that unlikely.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    File down a set of 9mm, 380, 32 and/or 25 cases to different heights for your required volumes, solder on a wire handle to each and call it good.

You can try to talk Lee into a new product, but new tooling for something that is not a growth market makes that unlikely.
    I see. I have made the custom dippers for certain loads that I like. I was thinking that if Lee (or someone) could produce a set of 15 dippers at a cost similar to Lee's current dipper set it would actually be easier than monkeying around finding, filing, and soldering various pistol cases to fit.
    For the time it takes me to twist and shape a wire handle, solder it on, then file it to size - 10 dollars for a set of 15 plastic ones would be a real bargain.

But if Lee can't tool up for such and endeavor I guess custom making my own is a necessary evil.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jaque Janaviac View Post
    ...I was thinking that if Lee (or someone) could produce a set of 15 dippers at a cost similar to Lee's current dipper set it would actually be easier than monkeying around finding, filing, and soldering various pistol cases to fit...

But if Lee can't tool up for such and endeavor I guess custom making my own is a necessary evil.
    Not sure how much it costs to sink dies for injection molding plastics these days. I suppose if you placed an order for 100,000 sets you could cover the cost of machinery, tooling, time and material to produce and market them and break even at $10 a set. And you might even sell them all in 10 years if guns and handloading were still legal...

When I worked at Ruger company policy was that new models which could be produced by assembling existing parts were OK if a distributor placed a 1000-piece minimum order.

A new model which had to be engineered from scratch required a $1million committment in orders spread over two years, up front.

This was in the mid-1980s. I'm sure the requirements are higher now.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Count me in.... I would buy a set .
    The smaller sizes are more useful than the larger . My most used dippers are made from 22 short, 22 long , 22 LR , 25 acp, 32 acp ....dippers below about 5.5 cc. Having some with small increments between would be sweet. My home made ones are nothing to brag about...my 22 LR dips 2.8 grains of Bullseye , gets a lot of use but has a bent paperclip for a handle! A nice well made set would be appreciated . I'm not a handy person who's good at making anything except a big mess and a pot of Gumbo .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah if it can be done I’d be in for 2 sets.

Boolit Mold
    As others have done, I have purchased (on ebay) an old red set of Lee dippers. Combined with the yellows, it gives me a few more choices. Someone on this site made a chart of the yellow & red volumes in a nice table (can't easily find it now but I'm sure someone with better search skills than me will post it)

Boolit Master
    I got a response from Lee. They said they'll put it on the list of customer-recommended products.

Sigh. They wouldn't even discuss the possibility of a group buy - just sort of shut me down. I guess this is a "no".

Boolit Master
    I have found that a ugly looking homemade dipper gets more of the "this guy is completely wacko and is gunna blow him self up"
    response to a more
    "Ohh using a dipper like the old times did.....like it will sort of work but not accurate and you’d have to be desperate wouldn’t you" type of response.

Ha

I'd buy a set. I'd buy a set that covered smaller increments in rifle sizes too. Sorta a master set.

Boolit Master

I swear, or at least in my garage, that 800X should come with a courtesy set of dippers. My Redding powder thrower piddles like a puppy in a thunderstorm if it catches sight of the bottle when I open the powder cabinet.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Banned
    What would be beneficial is if the chart matched what the dippers can do.

FOR EACH POWDER LISTED.

I think Lee makes the dippers JUST so that they can sell a Trickler.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    What would be beneficial is if the chart matched what the dippers can do.

FOR EACH POWDER LISTED.

I think Lee makes the dippers JUST so that they can sell a Trickler.
    Not quite sure what you mean by this.

Lee already publishes the VMD for many powders. You can just calculate the volume cc for a desired charge by: (desired charge in grains) x (Lee's VMD for desired powder) = volume of charge in cc.

If you want to know what a given Lee dipper will throw that math is just about as simple: (Lee dipper in cc) ÷ (Lee's VMD) = (grains of powder thrown). So the 0.7cc dipper would throw a charge of 6.4 grains of Unique - give or take.
    That's (0.7cc) ÷ (0.1092vmd) = 6.4 grains.

Actually I could see this as being pretty useful if you own a set of dippers. I may create a spreadsheet for this.

Boolit Grand Master

If Lee , or someone else , would make the dippers , I would make my own chart . I sit down with my scale , a powder , dip 10 charges with each of my home made (or Lee made) dippers and record what each of my dippers dip , with my technique and whatever powder I'm dipping .
    I keep all the powder-dipper-weights dipped in a log book and even note the technique I use.
    Varying your technique will change the weight...as long as technique is consistent the charge is consistent.

I wonder if someone with a 3D printer could copy a Lee dipper and adjust the cavity size to the different increments... I have no idea what I'm talking about but would like a set pistol dippers .
    My home made dippers are sketchy looking at best... they scream....Bubba Made , Redneck City !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

or take those extra large dippers on the large end of the scale and fill them with glue or epoxy and then just drill out your own cavities to meet the volumes you need
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

A picture of some cool looking metal dippers with a useful looking handle. I find a 45/70 case makes a fantastic trickler when dipping powders for load work ups. I use one of those six inch metal bench rules that are machinist tools. Made by General might be called a slide caliper for levelling off the dipper. I use a old 35 millimeter film development container to dip out of. Nice wide bottom, the weight adds stability. A device called a salt spoon is pretty handy to get small amounts of kerrnels of powder. Kind of spendy, looks like drug paraphernalia but is still pretty handy in conjunction with the 45/70 casing.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Banned
    I have the dippers, but the ISSUE with MINE is that my set seems to be about 2 grains short for red dot.

Member in a recent thread suggested using wax as a fill to bring existing Lee dipper down to desired volume for a given powder. I would think fine adjusting to the amount of wax would be easy. Do overs would be easy, and a little time in hot water would put things back good as new.

While it would be nice to have the pre-made smaller increment dippers what is really needed is a dipper that delivers the right amount of a specific powder for a specific load. One can always order dippers for 0.99 in the stock size after doing a wax modification to replace it in the stock set. Or get 2 or 3 to modify for your favorite mild, regular, hot load of some powder in a cartridge.

Those dippers are made in a full set mold, note they are all attached to the flow line. Not trivial amount of cost to have another mold made so I would be doubtful limited buy would warrant Lee eating much if any set up costs and if passed on to group buy would make the cost prohibitive. One can call Lee and ask, they seem approachable on custom work. Report back what they say.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    If you know someone with a 3D printer just print out what you need:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3350388

I made my own model for a Lee AutoDisk with insertable powder bushings - takes a very short time to print out a new bushing for an exact drop.

For anyone questioning durability, I print bullet seating stems (lee dies) and top punches (Lyman 45/450/4500) and with 1000+ uses there is no apparent wear or damage. I even messed up while sizing bullets - placed one wrong, pulled the handle and marked the bullet about 1/16" deep with no damage to the printed plastic top punch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast