Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squib loads and hang fire alliant 2400

Boolit Mold
    Sorry I reread that and you are right I never put down 357 sorry. Small screens on phones.
    Might be on to something now. Loaded up 5 rounds with the pulled bullets from the problematic ones. Mix of 140 and 158 grainers over 13.5 gr of the same powder same primers in rem. Cases. Results were 4 of 5 on a 6 inch plate at 30 ft with a head lamp on. All 5 fired perfectly.
    So for now it's something with the primers seating hard in the federal cases. I'll need to run more to be sure.
    Yes I know I was loading 14 grains before. Just dropped it back a little to make myself feel better.

Boolit Master

If the primer anvil doesn't set on the pocket base, or if the cup is pressed down over the anvil until the priming pellet breaks, there will be misfires.

The latter condition will sooner or later fire a primer while seating. The first condition is far more common. Tight primer pockets may make primers feel like they are fully seated, when they are not.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    During the recent shortages in the USA I could only get CCI primers and had the same problem you mentioned but with different powders. I changed to Remington primers and never had the problem again, I know of two others who had the same problem with CCI primers. Regards Stephen

Boolit Mold
    Ran 10 more rounds this morning. It's definitely seems to be primer seating in the federal cases. So I guess it's new brass or a primer pocket uniformer.

Boolit Grand Master

Not uncommon with 2400, H110, etc in colder weather with standard SP primers in magnum revolvers. The loads worked fine with jacketed bullets because they have a much higher friction coefficient than a cast bullet. When the jacketed bullet hits the forcing cone the resistance is more and allows the pressure to build quick enough for the 2400 to burn properly. With a cast bullet, especially the lighter weight ones, the bullet doesn't meet the same resistance and the bullet length may allow the gas/flame to vent out the barrel cylinder gap before the powder reaches a sufficient pressure to burn.......the powder fizzles and goes out........

Solution is the magnum primer. In my testing (pressure, velocity and accuracy) I've found little or no real difference between standard primers and magnum primers with 2400 in 357, 41 and 44 magnums. The load may or may not have to be slightly adjusted though for proper burn. The magnum primer's longer flame time and being a bit "hotter" alleviates the "fizzle" and burnout.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12