WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squib loads and hang fire alliant 2400

Boolit Mold

Squib loads and hang fire alliant 2400

I am having trouble with loads for mbc 140 and 158 gr Hi-Tech coating projectiles. I am running 14 grains of 2400 with cci small pistole primers. From all the info I can find this load should be well within the range for both.
    I was running 2400 Hercules brand with jacketed bullets with the same lot of primers with no problems. Switched to the new can of alliant and about 1 of 5 rounds sticks in the forcing cone locking up the revolver. Also had one click bang. This made me quite as I know that bullet was unseated when the powder charge went off.
    Rounds are crimped using a Lee factory crimp die.

Boolit Master

I'm assuming your are loading for a 357mag? Try using magnum primers. If the outside temperature has dropped sense you changed powder may be a pressure thing. Also did you do something different seating the primers? When I tried to seat primers on my RCBS Rock Chucker press I was crushing a few and they wouldn't fire. I changed to a hand held primer an that all went away.

Boolit Master
    I would almost bet money you are not dumping as much powder into the case as you think you are. Something is wrong here. Pull a couple of bullets and carefully measure how much powder is in them. For what ever reason (I have no idea what equipment you have), you are not using as much powder as you think you are. I've been using 2400 for years and have NEVER seen this happen. The fact that the bullet isn't even going past the forcing cone is a give away on this. You don't need mag primers to set this stuff off. How long have you been reloading and how are you measuring your powder charge?

Boolit Mold
    Been reloading for 20 years. Charges are thrown from a Lee perfect powder measure and check on a scale to calibrate.
    Powder out of the pulled squibs will have a chunk of powder stuck together. I did try some magnum primers and didn't experience any problems. I'm Leary of this because mag primers arnt recommended with 2400.
    Primers are being seated with a Lee auto prime.

Is the powder old, look or smell bad? Do the boolits seat too easy as if they are too small in diameter?
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Moderator Emeritus

You sure the Hi-tek was fully cured? Only because of the comment that on the chunk of powder stuck together.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Forester79 View Post
    I am having trouble with loads for mbc 140 and 158 gr Hi-Tech coating projectiles. I am running 14 grains of 2400 with cci small pistole primers. From all the info I can find this load should be well within the range for both.
    I was running 2400 Hercules brand with jacketed bullets with the same lot of primers with no problems. Switched to the new can of alliant and about 1 of 5 rounds sticks in the forcing cone locking up the revolver. Also had one click bang. This made me quite as I know that bullet was unseated when the powder charge went off.
    Rounds are crimped using a Lee factory crimp die.
    Welcome to CB.GL Forum!

My suggestion is to try another, different container of 2400. Perhaps you got a bad one.

If you have had no other issues before, and you are using & doing everything the same to reload, but for the new Alliant 2400 powder and having trouble as you describe, then the component that changed is likely the trouble & I would try another container of powder first & then maybe look to other things.

G'Luck! & please return to tell what you finally figured out was the issue
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Try a heavier crimp, 2400 really needs that pressure build to burn properly. Even at 14grn with a 150swc I was having huge ES with 2400, I have since moved to Blue dot and things tightened up nicely (groups too)

edit: And watch out with those mag primers. The 357 is the only cartridge I have ever seen get severe, unpredictable, early pressure sign when using mag primers following published data. I would never substitute them.

Boolit Grand Master

Is there any unburnt powder? Betting there is a powder load issue. If the boolit sticks in the forcing come, there would be un burnt powder EVERYWHERE.

Boolit Mold
    Bullets came from the manufacturer so I'm pretty sure the coating is cured. Only thing I've noticed is a have some federal brass that primers seem to seat harder in. I was using this brass with h110 loads and mag primers. My 2400 loads I was using cci brass. I guess it could be crushed primers. Doesn't seem possible to me to have enough primer to unseat a bullet and not igniteing the powder. Cases are full of powder yet.

Boolit Master
    Have someone else try the powder in their equipment. No offense, but I've been reloading for fifty+ years and I've never experienced anything like this, and I don't know anyone else who has. The QC of powder manufacturing is extreme...and should be. Unless that can of powder you have has been opened, got wet, smells bad, or some other such thing, your problem seems directed to something in your process. Don't take that as a personal offense, I've done things over the years that make me scratch my head and wonder "how'd I do that"? You are correct though that the primer unseating the bullet should have ignited the powder. Is this a new, unopened can of powder you're talking about? Is it in the original container? Another thing to try: just prime some cases and fire the primer off. Does it sound right? Variation from one to another extreme?

Boolit Grand Master

Like the others said, verify the charge weight. Review your primer seating. Look at and smell the powder. Rust colors, stains and acid smells usually mean bad powder. Is your crimp heavy enough? Maybe try another can of powder. And yes, please let us know when/if you find the problem.

Boolit Mold
    It was a new unopened can of powder. Probably a couple years old stored in the house. Been having no problems with unique and w231. Think I'm going to try switching brass as I know there is something going on with the feel of the primer seating between the 2 brands although it's not effecting the other primers. Don't worries about offending me with any suggestions. I'm looking for input from other people to try and figure this out. Could be something I'm doing but if it is I can't figure it out. Am leaning towards possible crushed primers though.

Moderator Emeritus

Forester79,
    welcome to the forum.
    I have moved your post to a more suitable forum.
    I hope you find some answers.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    I agree with Jbin. try another jar of 2400 before you lose any sleep. Something could have happened to it.

I don't think a hard to seat primer would be the cause the primers are igniting.

You could test the HiTek, rub one boolit on a rag dampened with acetone and see if any color comes off then smash the boolit (cast bullet) on an anvil to see if you get flakes booth are failure signs.
    I haven't heard of under-cured HiTek gumming up gunpowder.
    I have heard of under cured PC (powder coating) reacting to gunpowder and gumming it up.

with that charge, you'll get a big bang Make sure your crimp is heavy enough to keep the boolit from moving -- not the cause of your problem.

Just a primer fire could lodge a boolit into the forcing cone. if there was powder there you would have gotten a mess when you cleared the jamb and ejected the brass. -- ok you did "Powder out of the pulled squibs will have a chunk of powder stuck together."

Either Something is getting into the loaded cartridges or the powder is bad.

Have you changed your case lube or style/method of lubing you cases for sizing? Could some cases be over-lubed and (you're getting lube in the cases) that is mucking up the powder.

Do you by chance wet-tumble your brass? I accidentally loaded a few that weren't quite dry once.

Boolit Mold
    No lube when resizing and haven't been tumbling cases as I'm just working up a load. Most of the rounds are fired with in minuets of loading. One of the benefits of living in the country. Load 5 shoot adjust load 5 more. Make load work up quick. I've also been emailing alliant on the issue. So far all I've got is they haven't had any problems reported with that lot number. Said it's 35 months old.

Boolit Master

Are the clumped loads showing the primer fired well?

To me, the possibilities are; bad primers, poorly seated primers, contaminated powder, bad powder.

Also 17 posts in and no idea of cartridge or exact loads.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Mold
    First post I stated the load. 357 mag. I did miss the mag part kinda figured that to be understood. 158 gr mbc hi Tek action and 140 mbc zinger hi Tek over 14 gr 2400 cci 500 primers. Coal 1.59

Boolit Master

Thanks. I'm using Tapatalk and there is still no 357 visible for me in the first post. Tapatalk removes signatures so maybe it is hiding there.

I would try another batch of primers, if available. Also try the 2400 in a different gun/cartridge. That should narrow it down.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast