RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RCBS wooden mallet

Boolit Bub

RCBS wooden mallet

Anyone use the wooden RCBS mould mallet? What are the dimensions? Weight? I've seen complaints about insufficient weight to cleanly cut the sprue with a single stroke. This complaint seems very subjective, but it might be true. On the other hand, the recommendation to use generic tool handles are definitely going to be too light IMHO. I'm very concerned about too-light mallets as the casting person may have to strike the sprue plate too much thereby causing warpage of the plate over time. Any idea what species wood is used?

Don't know the weight but they are very light. My guess is half pound or so. I have one that was given to me by my mentor when I started casting boolits about 20 years ago and it is still in the original box. If I were to use it I would consider boring a hole in the top and pouring some lead in it to make it heavier. As of now I use a wooden mallet it is showing it's age but still works fine. Hope this helps you.

I used a hickory hammer handle for years but lost it in a move. I tried the RCBS tapper and thought it was too light. I only use one to push the sprue plate open and not to drive it open but it didn't feel right in my hand. I switched back to a hammer handle and like it much, much better. It may have more to do with the added length.

Where I worked we went through shovels like crazy. The blades would get broken or the handles break. Occasionally I’d find a bad one with a good handle. My current knocker is a piece of shovel handle with the rubber coating on the end with the bare wood end cut aquare. You can wack the sprue cutter or push it. Works good.

Boolit Master

I use trimmed limbs from my shrubs and trees. Typically crepe myrtle or sycamore. Both are very hard and last a long time. I pick a section about an inch in diameter that has a slight bend to it. Then you trim it to the length and size that works for you. Simple, economical and there are plenty still left outdoors!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I use my rawhide mallet. I've had it for seventeen years. I think they may outlast wood.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

I use either a hickory hatchet handle with the head end padded with several wraps of duct tape to cushion my hand, or a poly hammer, depending on the striking tab of the mold I'm using.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned
    +1 on rawhide mallets. I have then in 3 weights for different purposes.

Hickory handle or 12" from a wood baseball bat. Friend uses a rawhide mallet, another a plastic tipped hammer. Lots of choices.
    NRA Benefactor Member

I have been using a dead blow hammer I think it’s pound and a half works great long as you don’t leave it closed any hot bullets or the Molds for too long because it melts pretty quick.

Boolit Master
    I use a hickory hammer handle that never made it into a hammer. It is my original whacker and is starting to show its age. For wood working I have a mallet made of Arbor vita (Ithink) . itis unbelievable hard and very difficult to turn. Got a big hunk from, Rockler to use with chisels and if I can find a smaller piece i will turn it into a mould mallet.

I use one of those small souvenir baseball bats that they sell at the ballparks. Works great.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

I have used 2 mallets for years. One is a wooden mallet like the one JimKim' leather mallet. The other is an old hickory hammer handle that came off a Plumb claw hammer. The hammer and handle were from the World War II era and the handle had broke at the wrist where it went into the hammer's head. Both are very old but get the job done nicely. james

Boolit Master

another caster put me on to this teardrop mattet for HF.

Not sure which end to use as both do the job--thinking I'm going to like it

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch...let-66205.html
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

+1 for the hickory hammer handle. I use the ones that are made for the 2 and 3 pound hammers. Enough weight to cut cleanly and they last for years. I have worn 3 of them out over the decades.

Boolit Man
    I never whack my sprue plates with anything I just push them with a gloved hand. I do use a piece of wooden 1 inch dowel with a few wraps of tape to beat the #@() out of the hinge pin if a boolit wont drop easy.I think that piece of dowel has been in use for about 20 years.

Been using the RCBS mallet for thirty some years.
    Didn't know it wasn't supposed to work, I guess.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a 8 ounce dead blow with the slim line head. It works very good for me. I've been going to make one up strictly for this. I have used a lot of handles over the years. the best was a piece of 1 1/4" oak dowel with 4" of tygon tubing on each end. One to cushion the sprue plate and one for grip. It was about 12" long

When using these it should be more of a push than an actual blow. The dead blow does this quite well

Boolit Master

You come on down to my place. I have enough Osage Orange here to equip the whole nation with casting mallets. Cut your own and tailor to your desires. They will last forever./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I was using an old piece of 2x4 that my dogs chewed on. They had it chewed down to a kinda club shaped stick thing. But, alas they took it back as they weren’t done chewing on it! By the time they got done with it, it loaded more like a tooth pick than a club! Now I use a tire thumper. The ones long haul truckers use to check air pressure on their rig tires. Oh yah I make sure I hide it from my 4 legged wood shaping puppies. You’d be amazed at what 2, 130 lb Bullmastiff ‘s can do to a piece of wood, or anything they choose, for that matter! Lol!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast