Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .357 Max die choice for cast ?

.357 Max die choice for cast ?

Woohoo, like to hear some thoughts on die choice for the .357 Max I have coming? I have a Lyman M die in .358 Win that should work for opening up the mouth? I am thinking just a steel die set and a Redding profile crimp die? Would 'cowboy' dies offer any advantage? Will they even work on the max? Thanks in advance for your time, hc18flyer

Boolit Master

Not entirely sure what your asking, as far as dies any 357 mag die should work ; I’m using an old
    Set of Pacific dies to load 357 max and have had no issues.

Boolit Master
    All dies will not work. I had to get a new set for the Max. My old RCBS (very old) wouldn't work. The max case was just a bit too long. Most (if not all) newer die sets will work. The Redding profile crimp die is one I use. You really don't need anything special to expand the case mouth with this cartridge. What do you have coming, a rifle or handgun? Also, why no carbide die?

I have a Henry single shot rifle coming in .357, Bellm is going to open it up to max. I read previously that carbide dies can oversize a tapered pistol case? I lube and use older steel dies for my .45 Colt and cast boolets. hc18flyer

I use an early 90's Lee carbide set, the case is not tapered. Did have to make a different seating stem insert for pointy bullets, but that is it.

Boolit Grand Master
    .357 Lee work for me.

Boolit Master
    I have three sets of dies and they all size the case to a different dimension. I found out which one worked best and used it. You need to check the dies to see which BRAND sizes to what size.

Boolit Master
    I have an old Lyman carbide 357 mag sizer I bought in the the late 70s.

Been using it on maximums since I bought my brand new Dan Wesson IHMSA special in the mid 80's.

It does size the body a smidge more than needed, but I am not real worried about it.

I am still using some of my original brass.

Boolit Master
    My first choice is always Redding carbide (if avail.), they are just more precise.

Boolit Master
    I have used both the Lee and an RCBS 357 set and both worked but I got a new set of Lyman at a dirt cheap price and find them the best for my rifle. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy
    I load 38SP, 357Mag, and 357 Max using a Redding Carbide set. Redding dies are always my 1st choice. With cast bullets, I use their competition seater and roll crimp in a 4th step.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Idaho

Boolit Master

My choice would be a hybrid if cost were no issue.

Sizer would a Redding Titanium Carbide sizer.

Expander would be an RCBS fitted with a Cowboy M expander plug assembly.

Seater would be an RCBS with the appropriate seating stem to match bullet profile (I like Redding comp seaters, but limited in seating stem profiles).

The crimp die should be a Redding micro adjustable profile crimp die.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 01-08-2019 at 11:58 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I have a Henry single shot rifle coming in .357, Bellm is going to open it up to max. I read previously that carbide dies can oversize a tapered pistol case? I lube and use older steel dies for my .45 Colt and cast boolets. hc18flyer
    Ask Bellm what he considers to be the best dies. David White told me that he liked Hornady new dimension best. I bought a set but cannot tell the difference in results between the hornady and Lee. Dillon works well too.

Boolit Master

I'm still using a Hornady Nitride die set from the late 1980's that is marked .357Mag/.357Max. Before that I used a RCBS .38SPL steel sizer that I could only size the top half of the case. It worked fine, probably because all the ammo I loaded went right back in to my Ruger. Shouldn't have sold it, but I had the Cowboy Shooting bug. But I've been happy with the 10" bbl for my old Contender. And the Hornady dies work equally well for Cast or J's. I just plink these days, so a red dot scope & swaged WC's from the bench in Max cases is the best I can do. I just close the case mouth enough to chamber the round. Just a light plinking cartridge now.

I REALLY HATE auto-correct.
    Last edited by Walks; 01-09-2019 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Grammer/spelling
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life