Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single action grip shape

Boolit Master
    The RUGER Bisley is very similar to my GP and SRH DA's in feel. I don't like the "plowhandle" SA grips at all.

Boolit Master
    "That's beside the point. Why are modern guns like the BFR, with no connection to the historic guns, keeping a grip that is harder to use? Surely there is some reason I'm missing"

The reason why is that the SA design DOES work for many folks. It is due to learning HOW to shoot them, AND having a proper fit of the gun to the shooter.

Again, a too tight a grip may be a big part of the problem. In general, I offer my students this thought;
    The dominant hand, should offer about 30%-35% of the gripping pressure, while the off hand should apply 65%-70%. YET,,, NEITHER hand should apply so much force as to fight the recoil.

Banned

I have more SAs than DAs and more Plows than Bisleys
    I like them all
    I especially like my Blackhawks with Gun Fighter Grips
    For heavy recoil, the Bisley seems best which is why Linebaugh et al convert all the heavies to Bisley grips.

The single action grip frame rolls in the hand on recoil. The felt recoil seems to be less with both styles with the Bisley being the best. I am talking holster guns here, not BFR's or X frame Smith's. At one time my brother had a 4" S&W .41 m57 while I had a .41 Ruger BH 4-5/8". We both agreed that when the loads were hot, the Ruger was easier to shoot. YMMV. I never cared for the flared Super Blackhawks grip but it helps with recoil too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have big Hands and have found that I shoot the plow handle best if I curl my pinky finger under the grip.
    love the plow handle but hate the pointed trigger guard on the Super Blackhawk. (makes me bleed)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The single action grip frame rolls in the hand on recoil. The felt recoil seems to be less with both styles with the Bisley being the best. I am talking holster guns here, not BFR's or X frame Smith's. At one time my brother had a 4" S&W .41 m57 while I had a .41 Ruger BH 4-5/8". We both agreed that when the loads were hot, the Ruger was easier to shoot. YMMV. I never cared for the flared Super Blackhawks grip but it helps with recoil too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    It's clear I just don't get it. I know it's a problem with me. I've shot a 41 mag 6 1/2" Blackhawk right next to a 6" m57. The 41 Blackhawk with stout ammo is scary. I still think the N frame 41 mag is one of the best hunting guns ever produced. It's a gun I can get very comfortable behind. The owner of the Blackhawk sold it shortly after that day, admittedly he doesn't like double actions either.

Maybe one day I'll find a place for them, but for now I think I'll stick to double actions. I've been wanting to make my own grips for an SP101, while I'm at it, I think I'll try and make some for my TC scout pistol.

Moderator Emeritus

I have 4 blackhawks and only one has the factory grip. I don't know why but I shoot that one well. [Lipseys 44 special].
    Shooting with a grip that doesn't fit is a waste of time and money.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Yes, I can shoot The N frame and Redhawk no problem. They are just so much more natural for me. Not all factory grips work, but with the right set, I have no pain shooting any 44 magnums. The problem I run into is the blast from such a round causes mental fatigue that limits me to about 25 full power rounds at a time depending on the day. It's just the honest truth. Once I feel myself starting to tense at the shot, it's time to pack it up for the day.

In the case of a single action, it's not my subconscious. I think to myself, I have to hold on tight. The moment I don't, that thing is sliding around. The trick seems to be to keep as tight a grip as possible, while maintaining a limp wrist and elbow. Normally I resort to keeping my pinky under the grip, but that can't be right. It doesn't look right, it doesn't feel right.

That's beside the point. Why are modern guns like the BFR, with no connection to the historic guns, keeping a grip that is harder to use? Surely there is some reason I'm missing. After all I've heard, it sounds like I have to try a bisley grip. In that case, it seems the angle is the key. I still don't see how it can possibly be better than a more shaped grip.
    Contender1 covered things better than I could have. But your question of why do companies like BFR use a grip that doesn't work is totally wrong. I don't care for double actions because I like revolvers for the fact they are lighter and more compact. There is nothing lighter or more compact that can take the powerfull cartridges that a single action can. Double actions have to be larger and heavier to take the same levels of power the single action does.
    You should also ask this, why is Jack Huntington, Hamilton Bowen, Dave Clements, John Linebaugh, Alan Horton, Gary Reeder, Jim Stroh, John Gallagher, and other world renowned gunsmiths building most of their baddest and biggest most powerful handguns on single action frames??? It should be obvious it's not just because they handle the power of these cartridges better for their size, but they are better at managing the recoil they produce when properly handled!

I am one who owns over a dozen single actions, and only 2 double actions. But all my big heavy recoiling revolvers use a Bisley grip frame, the ones that don't have grip panels that are designed to take some of the roll out. I prefer a grip that has more meat in the top and not so much in the but end on the plow handle style. When you have a skinny top section, with a wider fatter but end it promotes rolling in your hand. On very heavy recoiling calibers even that requires advanced technique and practice to master with the plow handle design. The Bisley is without question the most capable design of handling extreme recoil, but even it need the characteristics I mentioned in the plow handle style.

But they all require the shooter to use proper technique to master.

Boolit Grand Master

Come on now, this thread is about the grip shape. A Redhawk/Super redhawk is about 4 ounces heavier than a super blackhawk. That is hardly significant, and there are rumors the redhawks handle a steady diet of full power loads longer than the blackhawks. The strength of each is equal. I've called Gary Reeder before, that guy is a dink. Bowen and Cements are true masters of the craft though.

Back to the grips, I have to ask about a clarification on some terms. What exactly is "roll". Is it a more pronounced muzzle rise, slipping in the hand, or something else?

try putting that redhawk in my super Blackhawk holster once, and yes same revolvers with more weight out front is more than just 2 OZ, but it is a big difference in adsorb recoil, plus that lug and heavier barrel with hollow frame to the rear is much different than the cold mass of the single action with a lighter barrel out front, this just magnifies the difference. Why do you think the gun rises more in the muzzle, it is much more than just a grip, height of barrel above the grip weight in hand and not out away from the hand, shape you name it, but that 2 or 3oz is magnified by where it is taken from and where it is placed. Then that huge hollow frame that requires a bigger holster, and even bigger difference riding on your hip.

Yes roll is sliding thru your hand, and the more you shape that grip panel like a pine tree, the faster it rolls, if you could turn that upside down narrow bottom and wide top, it would be a painful experience, in between is what most quality and experienced grip makers deliver.

Boolit Master
    I started with a SA Ruger, then shot my buddy's SA .357 and .44 Mag. I bought several .44 mags in SA, and could shoot them quite well. Then I bought a Security Six and my whole world changed. The DA just feels and shoots better for me. Even my SRH in .480 Ruger was no problem. I still have a SRH in .44 mag that I hope to keep until I see the brown side of the grass.
    An older S&W feels good, but the only Colt that I had that felt natural was a 1911 that I kept and carried for over 30 years.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I too started young with a Ruger Single-6 and shortly after a S&W K22. I could shoot the S-6 well but the K22
    much better. I don't think it had anything to do with grip shape. The lock time on S&W was much faster. The 1st
    center fire for me was a Ruger SBH and I learned to shoot it, no problem with the grip. My dad couldn't shoot it
    at all, the square back of trigger guard would beat him every time. Then we got a M29 S&W and it was much easier to shoot. I find that guys that can shoot a SA will do very well with a S&W. Guys that have shot DAs don't
    do as well with SAs. I still have those old 3screw Rugers but I don't shoot them that much and Im not as good with them as when a kid. The grip shape is important but only to the individual that is shooting it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    Yes roll is sliding thru your hand, and the more you shape that grip panel like a pine tree, the faster it rolls, if you could turn that upside down narrow bottom and wide top, it would be a painful experience, in between is what most quality and experienced grip makers deliver.
    In that case "rolling" is a complete loss of control of the gun. If that is what single actions are supposed to do, I will never like single actions. Just a personal preference.

If that is what single actions are supposed to do, I will never like single actions. Just a personal preference.
    So there ya go! Obviously single actions aren't for you. Because I'm here to help I'll take any you have off your hands for $100 dollars each. That ought to save you any future grief or possible head injury. Like Mom always said; "Its all fun and games until someone gets their eye poked out."
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Grand Master

It looks like I won't have to. The previous blackhawk owner I mentioned earlier stopped by. We were talking about his new single seven, and quickly turned to grips. He bought a set of Hogue grips for his single seven (even the lowly 327 federal was causing the gun to slip in his hand, ruining groups), and by accident they also sent a set of super blackhawk grips with. By chance, he had them. I looked at them and thought there's no flipping way. I pulled out the Scout pistol, and by god they slipped on! I had to muscle them somewhat, but no modifications at all, even the screw bracket went right on a pin the scout pistol had. They aren't a perfect fit, being the grips are for a square trigger super blackhawk. For all I know the Scout pistol is an exact copy of the standard blackhawk grip frame. It's ugly, but it is rock solid 100% functional. I am ecstatic. I don't wan't to rip on single action revolvers, but I just don't get what you guys see in them. I want traction on my grips. If that means 475 linebaugh is too painful in a double action, so be it. 44 magnum is more than necessary for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0111190013.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	233699

Banner Sponsor

Most excellent,
    I am a real big fan of the Houge Mono-Grip. I tried one for a Super BlackHawk on my 475 BFR. It took a little work with a dremel, but I got it to fit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bfr-grip-07.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	233709

Boolit Man

Single action grip shape

Frustration begins where knowledge ends.
    You are absolutely ripping on single actions which if fine by me, you don’t have to tell us that you are not.
    There is simply no need to keep expressing something that you hate, and have repeatedly informed all that you do not understand.
    Several have very eloquently tried to explain why single actions have their place. You are just refusing to except the fact that they are usable.

It’s not an opinion to say that they do work.

Just want to mention again that it is perfectly fine and great for me if you love double actions. Own and shoot several myself. I am glad you found something you enjoy!

Again as mentioned. I am sure several including myself would be willing to help. Post a video of yourself shooting a single action. Maybe it’s a simple silly form issue.
    Maybe they are just wrong for YOU.

As for me. I’ll keep shooting my BFR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LazyTCross; 01-11-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

That's a good idea. Next time I shoot one Ill record it.

OK because you now have two sets of grips for the Scout I'll go $110 dollars for it saving you from feeling like you need to make a video and risking possible injury.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier View Post
    OK because you now have two sets of grips for the Scout I'll go $110 dollars for it saving you from feeling like you need to make a video and risking possible injury.
    Have you seen the original grips for the scout pistol? I'll tell you what, if you can shoot my scout pistol loaded to the max with the original grips, and not hit yourself in the face, I'll pay you $20, plus a free day shooting. No gloves either. The max listed is 110 grains of FFg powder. From what I've seen, that gets a 430 grain maxi ball going almost 1200 fps.

The more I look at them, the more I think a single action grip frame can be made to work. It's just that the ones I end up shooting have the old west style looking ones that are essentially bell shaped. You might as well make a grip out of an icicle if that's your idea of a good shooter. They don't need to be soft rubber Hogues, but just something that at the very least isn't tapered. That is a design, made to fail.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast