Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Power 500 Smith and Wesson Loads?

Boolit Master

Low Power 500 Smith and Wesson Loads?

I have a line on a Smith and Wesson chambered in 500. It is the 4 inch "backpacker" model. I fully realize the recoil impulse on full power loads are a handful, but I am wondering if anyone has tried some low to mid power range loads that a feller can shoot a couple of boxes through without any real pain.

I am also interested in accuracy on the low power loads. I did some research on other places on the net, and some folks do not suggest shooting low power out of the 500. I can't fathom why this would be an issue. I am hoping there are some folks who have a 500 Smith who might be willing to share some actual first hand experience with the gun.

I plan on shooting the man makers as well, but the older I get, the less I enjoy having wrist pain the next morning from shooting.

Trailboss loads are great. Follow the formula for loads on Hodgdon website. I have been shooting a 325 grain bullet around 1000 FPS. You can shoot them all day

Boolit Master
    That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Looks like I am going to the LGS tomorrow morning. How is your accuracy with that load?

I know that is still humming out of there pretty quickly. Have you ever tried anything lower?

I realize that many people thrive on handguns with lots of recoil. I used to think I was one of them.
    That said, a 500 Smith and Wesson and low power loads do not really belong in the same sentence. I simply cannot consider a 325 grain boolit around at 1000 fps as a light load.
    I realize that it is compared to a full power load but it is still a lot more powerful than most handguns.
    I am getting to be a wimp in my old age.

Moderator Emeritus

I had a 4" S&W in the 500.
    I ordered a Ballisticast mold, 385gr RF plain base for it, specifically for mild loads.
    Somewhere I found some data for Unique for that weight of boolit,,,I recall Max load was around 17.5gr.
    I decided to start quite low and work up.
    Starting at 12.0gr and load a few at every half grain, til 17.5gr.
    I started seeing the beginning of pressure signs at 16.5gr. and it was clearly shooting cleaner than the lower loads.
    The 17gr flattened the primer pretty well and it was a load I could tolerate the recoil, kind of like a stiff load in 44 Mag... it surely wasn't anywhere near the recoil of a full house load of H110, that I'd put under a GC'd Lee 440gr boolit.

I never did try the 17.5gr loads of unique, I just pulled the boolit and called it good.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 01-15-2019 at 10:48 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

I’ve got a John Ross PC 500 and have never shot a full power load in it, there are some light loads listed here.

http://www.reloadammo.com/500sw.htm

And you can get load data directly from the Hodgdon website. If you find any Trail Boss, grab it. I understand the Europeans find it “unethical” to continue selling us powder.

T
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I realize that many people thrive on handguns with lots of recoil. I used to think I was one of them.
    That said, a 500 Smith and Wesson and low power loads do not really belong in the same sentence. I simply cannot consider a 325 grain boolit around at 1000 fps as a light load.
    I realize that it is compared to a full power load but it is still a lot more powerful than most handguns.
    I am getting to be a wimp in my old age.
    Well light for a 500 magnum. Plus the gun is so heavy that recoil is mild at that level.

I have two 500's and really enjoy Trailboss loads with Lee 440 grain boolits. Just follow the directions and you will have fun.

I always take one of the 500's when taking someone new to the range. The Trailboss loads feel about like a mid-range 357 load.

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    T

Well light for a 500 magnum. Plus the gun is so heavy that recoil is mild at that level.
    I didn't realize just how heavy that revolver is! I just looked at the specs from the S&W web site. Just under 61 ounces for a 6 inch barrel is a lot of handgun. You would get a workout just carrying it around.

I just can't wrap my brain around the X-Frame. Especially if a guy wants lower recoil. Lots of other guns that are much more svelt than the behmoth X-Frame that can launch large hunks of lead at a moderate velocity. BFR 500jrh, Ruger 480's and 454's, DA or SA, FA 500wyo or a 500L blackhawk conversion. Not to mention the venerable 45 Colt. The 500 Smith is designed to be a lowdenboomer gun. Just not a very svelt one.

Boolit Master

I helped a friend load some rounds for his .500 S&W Mag, and shot it a bit. The darn thing is absurd, just plain ridiculous.

It's ungainly huge, preposterously powerful, just a total novelty with no practical use at all. I have no earthly use for it at all.

But I do kind of want one...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I helped a friend load some rounds for his .500 S&W Mag, and shot it a bit. The darn thing is absurd, just plain ridiculous.

It's ungainly huge, preposterously powerful, just a total novelty with no practical use at all. I have no earthly use for it at all.

But I do kind of want one...
    Haven’t you watched Jurassic World? You’re gonna need that 500 magnum. LOL

Boolit Master
    I also have a JR 500. Yea, full loads with a 400+ grain boolet are a handful. 1000-1200f/s are quite fun.

As to why load down, you are still whacking something with a half inch slug that weighs twice what a H&G wad cutter for a 45acp weighs.

It's one of the main reasons I (we) reload - tailor the load to the person or job.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    ....still on the fence. I can't think of a use for the darned thing other than just a fun gun to punch some big holes in paper.

Boolit Master

I've loaded Lee 440gr boolits with 10-12gr Unique for my 15" Encore in 500 S&W, much different than the 700gr monsters over 25gr of H110...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...he-500-S-amp-W

http://www.mastercast.net/ftp.master...0Gr_RN_FP.html

Use this bullet with 12.0 grs. Unique powder. 1075 fps. out of my 8 3/8" .500 S&W according to my Oehler 35P. Light recoil with great accuracy.

I shoot 13.5 gr of unique under a 385 cast MP HP bullet out of my JR500, its a great pin load. You could really push that load harder but as it is its great.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

I got a Katahdin barrel for my Encore frame in 500 S&W. I cast and already had the big 700 gr. mould but also wanted some lighter bullets so I picked up the Lee 440 mould. I worked up full power type loads with the 440 bullet but also wanted a lighter plinking load. I did 10/12/14 grs of Unique and settled on the 14 grs. with the Lee bullet seated to the top crimp groove to differentiate them from the full power loads seated in the lower groove. I PC my bullets and put a gas check on the 440 bullet and the 14 grs of UNQ is a great load that pushes the bullet out of the 20" barrel at 1,130 fps.

Here is the rifle with a 2x7 scope on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encore Katahdin 500 S&W.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	234025

In this pic L to R:

Lee 440 bullet plinking load

Lee 440 bullet full power load

NOE 570 gr. Big mouth HP (HP version of the 700 gr. )

NOE 700 gr. bullet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500 S&W loads web.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	234026

Not sure what it is about those Katahdin set ups....I've always been drawn to them. I remember wanting one really bad when I was 15 or so and envisioned myself living out of a canoe for the summer, hunting moose and just being out in the middle of nowhere. I think the original 45-70 version was what caught my eye. Short barrel and a single shot for some reason really attracted my attention.

I like that set up you have there. Looks like you get a lot of versatility out of that one gun.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

I already have a 45-70 lever gun so I figured the .500 would be a good choice. I like the short carbine set up and the 2x7 scope is perfect for the shorter ranges that this cartridge functions at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast