Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does a cheap source of 22 shorts exist?

Boolit Master

Does a cheap source of 22 shorts exist?

I have been having fun with the 22short and training my daughter to use a rimfire with one. Is there such a thing as a cheap 22 short. (I am sure there is not). We are having much fun with the short and I wish they were sold by the bucket.

Boolit Master

PM coming
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

22 shorts are like 410 shotgun shells, they soak you for a premium price for 1/2 the product. The advent of cheap semi auto 22 rifles shifted to HV LRs to insure they would cycle. Now they sell everything but HV LRs as
    specialty ammo. I remember when I was a shorts were .29, longs were .35 and Std Vel LRs were .40, HV LRs
    were .50 and they were all availible in HPs for a little more. That was average and there was a price difference between the brands. The store branded ammo was the cheapest. The last shorts I bought at scaled prices was
    Rem shorts from a distributor back in late 70s. By the case they were about the same as promotional 22Lrs. They always sold fast because the big box stores stopped stocking them. The only good deals I've got on shorts
    recently was at going out of business sales.

Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    22 shorts are like 410 shotgun shells, they soak you for a premium price for 1/2 the product. The advent of cheap semi auto 22 rifles shifted to HV LRs to insure they would cycle. Now they sell everything but HV LRs as
    specialty ammo. I remember when I was a shorts were .29, longs were .35 and Std Vel LRs were .40, HV LRs
    were .50 and they were all availible in HPs for a little more. That was average and there was a price difference between the brands. The store branded ammo was the cheapest. The last shorts I bought at scaled prices was
    Rem shorts from a distributor back in late 70s. By the case they were about the same as promotional 22Lrs. They always sold fast because the big box stores stopped stocking them. The only good deals I've got on shorts
    recently was at going out of business sales.
    Well I am about 40 years to late to get them at those prices.

Keep an eye on ammoseek or the other sites that show you who has what at what price. I bought a Browning 22 short only 22 rifle last year, so I wanted some shorts on hand. Since my 39A also likes the CCI HVHPs, I simply kept an eye out for those. In November I was able to buy 20 boxes for $5 a piece. Deals come along if you are watching.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Buddy
    My Sportsman Warehouse sells short target and cb about $10.00 per hundred, same with longs. I think they are CCIs.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I used to have a Ruger Single Six that was pinpoint accurate with shorts, I would buy Remingtons for like $2.49/50 at Meijer. Unlike Thunderbolts and the like, the Remington shorts were really accurate and had few duds.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I bought a ratty 1885 in 22 Short at the last gunshow I went to. Had some mild sticker shock when I bought a 50 round box of shorts at the same show for $7.50. Cheapest ones there (and saved me a lot of running around and postage).

Boolit Master
    Simple answer, no. Like 410s, they do not sell enough of them to make them "cheap". I have found some CCI hollow point standard velocity shorts for 9ish cents each. My Rem 241, short only, likes them and they are deadly on sauirrels! That's as cheap as I've seen. Still more than std vel long rifles.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

The 22 short CB ammo that I have gotten to train youngsters is still widely available, but it is about $.10 a shot. They are the CCI and they are slow and quiet. They are fun to watch hit the target through a 9x scope.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Somewhere in a box or envelope I have a 22 short conversion kit for a Ruger mk2. (bolt, mags, forget what else) Worked OK, but the mags were kind of hackish with some amateurish welding. Shot GREAT for training but the price, OUCH!! The second .22 got pricey about 10 or more years back, the short prices went astronomical and I haven't touched it since.

Boolit Master
    Sadly .10 cents a piece is the going rate.

Moderator Emeritus

Most sadly for all shooters residing in this, the Empire State, but GREAT for retailers, is one cannot "mail-order" ammunition -- so, any/all sales MUST be face-to-face. Hence, there is no competition, with the added bonus to government being, "the higher the price, the more sales tax dollars we get". Hence, IF one is lucky, you might find some .22 short at a local gun show -- but, even there, many purveyors price theirs at but pennies below retail. At last show, I'm embarrassed to say I bought two 100-round boxes of .22HV short which equated to almost twenty cents per round. (Most big-box stores (e.g., Wal*Mart do not carry it, and we're more than a two- to three-hour drive to chain stores which may) Looking for low prices? Me thinks New York's not a good place to look.
    geo

Boolit Master

https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/...%2222+Short%22

Free shipping on orders over 25.00
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I ain't seen none cheap for quite a while.

Demand is low, therefore supplies are low and therefore prices are high. Just an unfortunate reality.

Still, they are worth it when you need to train a new shooter. Or if you have a Minx that only shoots shorts!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Thats cheaper than anything i found bout to order some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast