RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnum Research unveils the 500 Linebaugh

Banner Sponsor

Magnum Research unveils the 500 Linebaugh

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/bl...eid=8a72b69f44

They do this just after my long wait time for a 500 Linebaugh from Mr. Linebaugh.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500l-01.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	233530

Boolit Master
    I know how you feel, wanted a 500 but they didn’t chamber for it last year so went with the 475.

Boolit Master

I just cannot imagine doing that to my hand... I have tried several SA revolvers over the years and that grip and grip angle just kills me. OTOH, I love shooting my Desert Eagle .41 mag.

Boolit Master
    Certainly lots of hype, but I believe that the Freedom Arms revolvers are nicer, and I believe that the .500 smif is a bigger round.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    I just cannot imagine doing that to my hand... I have tried several SA revolvers over the years and that grip and grip angle just kills me. OTOH, I love shooting my Desert Eagle .41 mag.
    I agree 100%, and it's such a shame. MRI could design any grip frame they want, but they choose to offer plain old single action grips. On a gun with no ties to any other, it's not ideal for fast shooting, or competition. Why not put a set of grips on that allow you to target shoot or hunt 2 handed from a rest better. I have not been able to ever shoot a BFR, but what you get is phenomenal. Mechanically the BFR is capable of being every bit as accurate as a Freedom Arms. For half the price, all you are giving up is some spit shine. I really hope MRI comes up with a double action some day.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 01-07-2019 at 07:39 PM.

Banner Sponsor

If they are going to do a .510 , I wonder if they would build a 50-70 on a long frame?

Boolit Master

It's been 14 months in the pipeline.

Some of us were calling monthly about it. at times, weekly, depending on their response. (almost here, almost here, almost here....)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I agree 100%, and it's such a shame. MRI could design any grip frame they want, but they choose to offer plain old single action grips. On a gun with no ties to any other, it's not ideal for fast shooting, or competition. Why not put a set of grips on that allow you to target shoot or hunt 2 handed from a rest better. I have not been able to ever shoot a BFR, but what you get is phenomenal. Mechanically the BFR is capable of being every bit as accurate as a Freedom Arms. For half the price, all you are giving up is some spit shine. I really hope MRI comes up with a double action some day.
    Actually they do offer a Bisley grip. Here is a picture of my JRH..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	233537

Boolit Grand Master

I've never tried a bisley grip in any form. I still don't see what it has over a double action grip. It just seems odd to me that all single action grips are a smooth contour, while many double action grips are shaped like a persons hand.

Boolit Master
    One of the 5.5" models would be a nice package. With a little tinkering, BFRs are a pretty nice revolver. Have they ditched the cheesy plastic/rubber grips, or are they still standard?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    One of the 5.5" models would be a nice package. With a little tinkering, BFRs are a pretty nice revolver. Have they ditched the cheesy plastic/rubber grips, or are they still standard?
    They replace the grips on the standard model with something that looks like a Hogue. I can’t say for sure that it is a Hogue but it sure looks like there style.

Certainly lots of hype, but I believe that the Freedom Arms revolvers are nicer
    They are nicer. But are they twice as nice? Because they're tipically about twice the price.

I've never tried a bisley grip in any form. I still don't see what it has over a double action grip.
    If you've never tried it, you wouldn't see it.
    And if you do try it, you may not still. It's just personal preference.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

.500" is the maximum diameter allowed for a cartridge handgun per NFA regulations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

I am still liking the BFR 500 JRH

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/bl...eid=8a72b69f44

They do this just after my long wait time for a 500 Linebaugh from Mr. Linebaugh.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500l-01.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	233530
    But your's is much better.

Boolit Master

I never owned a .357 maximum but like others I read the horror stories that went around the shooting community a few short years after it introduction. In theory, I really like the idea for shooting steel at extended arranges or for a hunting cartridge that would launch heavier bullets out to hunting ranges and shoot fairly flat doing it. I am sure that with todays engineering talent available and improved steels in handguns, a solution to the problems could be worked out. However, the sports magazines have poisoned the water, so to speak, and I don't see a company willing to spend a couple million dollars correcting the problems that existed. It would be an uphill climb even if it did become successful and few companies can afford to take a chance on an "iffy" product. Maybe Wesson, who seemed to have got it right the first time around, will re-introduce their excellent version. my .02 anyway, james

Boolit Master
    So is their 500 linebaugh built on the long frame or the short frame? I just can't get over the cartoon like proportions of the long framed revolver like they use for the 45-70 guns.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Short frame.

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    .500" is the maximum diameter allowed for a cartridge handgun per NFA regulations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Actually, the law reads to not have a "Bore Diameter" larger than 1/2" Not shoot a bullet larger than 1/2" . So look at the definition of Bore and groove measurements. The Bore diameter is measured from the inside of the lands. Now Add .005" deep grooves and you can shoot .510" bullets, but the "bore diameter" is still only 1/2" .500"

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...oove-diameter/

Here's the definition, right out of the NRA Firearms Sourcebook. It is “...the minor interior diameter of a barrel that is the diameter of a circle formed by the tops of the lands.” That is the bore diameter, but groove diameter is “...the diameter of a circle circumscribed by the bottom of the grooves...”
    The 50AE got mixed up in this lack of understanding the proper terminology.
    when it was first conceived, it was supposed to be a straight walled case shooting a .510" bullet. But who ever was in charge of making the decision at the ATF made them change it to shoot a .500" bullet before they would allow the Desert Eagle 50AE to be imported into the US.
    Last edited by lar45; 01-09-2019 at 11:36 PM.

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I am still liking the BFR 500 JRH
    The 500JRH can be loaded to much higher pressures than the 500 Linebaugh. The Linebaugh is limited to around 35,000 psi, while the JRH can be loaded up to 50,000psi. The JRH can launch 400gn bullets to nearly 1600fps, while the Linebaugh tops out around 1450fps.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 500jrh-04.jpg  
    Last edited by lar45; 01-10-2019 at 06:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast