WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: No4 mk2 sight

Boolit Master

No4 mk2 sight

I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify this sight that is on the rear of my Savage No4 mk2. It has an adjustable aperture with six different sized holes. It is click adjustable for windage and elevation. I really like it and I'd like to find another sometime for my other smle.Attachment 233504Attachment 233505Attachment 233505Attachment 233507Attachment 233504Attachment 233506
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A.J. Parker 8/53 backsight conversion of Mk2 battlesight, one in your pic also has Merit adjustable iris.

I got mine in UK. Attachment 233512

Check GunBroker, about $100 in US if you can find one.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

In Remembrance

historicfirearms:

Unfortunately, Outpost75 is almost right but that is NOT a Parker Hale 8/53 but is instead another type of sight made for some unknown (to me) .22 rim fire rifle (look at the graduations) not for .303 British cartridge ballistics. These sights were marketed here in the US by SARCO and other parts dealers for installation on No4Mk1 rifles. However unlike the P/H 8/53 this required some small but permanent modifications to your rifle. The back sight screw hole had to be enlarged and a small ball detent hole was drilled in the action. Not a big deal if the gun is not a true collector, and it does help with accurate shooting. Today, these are difficult to find and usually sell for far more than what they were originally sold for despite being not exactly historically correct. Look at the picture posted by Outlook75 and compare it to your gun.

In Remembrance

Minor correction: I wrote "Parker Hale 8/53" when I should have written "A.J. Parker 8/53." A.J Parker was one of the original partners in Parker Hale but went his own way at one point marketing products under his name.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the help. It's hard to see in the pictures but the sight graduation goes to 800 (meters?). That seems like a long way for a 22 lr. The Savage isn't a collector piece but it's one of my best shooting rifles that I attribute to the rear sight. It just works great with my eyes and I love the adjustable iris for different lighting.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    I think your back sight came off a #5 jungle carbine. Standard back sight for a #4 went a lot further. And yes it appears to be one of the 22rf sights maybe used on the #7 rifle which was a #4 converted or origionally (spelling) made as a 22 rifle. Course I could be wrong and sometimes are. Sarco was selling these fairly cheap and you did have to make a couple mods to your rifle. Haven't been on their website in sometime so don't know of they are still available. Frank