Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: old eyes and iron sights

Ouch!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Thats what i am afraid of.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I got lazek two years ago. I went from not seeing after three feet to seeing a county mile. I now need readers for up close so I have issues with seeing open sights. Red dots and optics with adjustable objectives are my friends. If I hold a pistol out as far away from my eyes I can use the open sights. I’m pin point accurate with red dots.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    A note on aperture sights. The military adopted peep sights because in theory they give faster target accusation. For this reason the apertures were large. A real diopter sight has an aperture of one mm or less. This to let the light (image) become focused in you eye like through the lens of a camera onto the film.

I know that with a small aperture, the image is not that bright and in low light conditions. This may not always be the best option, but I urge those using aperture a sights to give a smaller size a try. I did and it made a significant difference. I now have even smaller ones I use when there is enough light. Dedicated target shooters often have an adjustable iris, like in a camera on the aperture.

I hope most can remember film cameras and understand my explanation now that we are deep into the digital world..

I did photography back in the day and still do it now. Just use different equipment. I still use the aperture adjustments to effect changes in the final image with my very nice digital cameras.

I wasn't aware there were adjustable apertures available for peep sights but in my defense, I don't shoot aperture sights much if at all. Have never done so in a target situation. I will have to look into that and see if it helps me.

Boolit Master

Have any of you tried an peep sight on a handgun?

I saw them somewhere, you replace the rear sight blade on a S&W or Blackhawk with a blade that looks like a peep sight.

Wondering if they help.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post

I saw them somewhere, you replace the rear sight blade on a S&W or Blackhawk with a blade that looks like a peep sight.

Wondering if they help.

yes, i have done that and it works. i use a ruger sbh.

http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/ohs-ruger.html

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by 500Linebaughbuck View Post
    yes, i have done that and it works. i use a ruger sbh.

http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/ohs-ruger.html
    That’s interesting. First time I’ve heard about those sights. Thanks for the link.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post

Wondering if they help.
    Yes I have one on RBH and Ruger SSix, I like them. I'm not sure they are made any longer though, One Ragged Hole was the name.

The link above may be the same company with a slight name change for the sight?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

I found this searching, looks like I have the original version...

ExArmy11b will become famous soon enoughExArmy11b will become famous soon enough
    Older "One Ragged Hole" sights vs. new ones
    For those of us interested in the "One Ragged Hole" rear sights, I just got a new pair of them, the 9/32" and the 7/32" aperture.

I have an "older" (original?) 9/32" one on my .357 Blackhawk, and it looks rougher and feels "softer". The new ones I got today look more like the material Ruger uses for their sight blades. The older one looks "rougher".

Anyway, my point is, many people found the older "One Hole" sights to be unsuitable for field use, and some people reported bending or breakage.

It seems, since Warren Outdoors started selling them, they are now made better.

I will leave my "old" one on the Blackhawk, but the new ones will work for me, for future purchases. I figured I'd order a set before they go out of production again......the original designer of these passed away, but it seems either his family or someone else took over the name and is making an "updated" version.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Bub
    Gotta say, getting older sucks, but it does beat the alternative. I'm farsighted, got the progressive lenses. I had the lined trifocals, and could do pretty well with those. One thing that helps, is dry firing. It definitely helps in a more rapid presentation, from an IWB holster. It also allows you to practice sight alignment, to the point of being automatic. Gun comes up, you focus on the target, and hit. After some practice, it's amazing how you can maintain a decent group, and barely look at the sights. As to a steel torso sized target, my grandson, who is now a cop, gets aggravated when a broke down old firefighter outshoots him. He's starting to do dry fire practice.
    He bought me a laser bullet, a couple of years ago, for Christmas. That helps too. And, you can shoot that in the house.

Boolit Bub
    Watch out for sights on an A5. I had a "gunsmith", solder on a rifle sight, on an A5 barrel. I had the original flamethrower ( polychoke) removed, the barrel cut, and crowned to 18.5, and those sights put on, for deer hunting. Before you have heart failure, this was a '29 model, that looked like it was built in 1829. Lord knows how many miles it had bounced around in someone's trunk. I took it out to sight it in. About 5 shots later, something slammed me between my eyes. With my friend freaking out, because he was thinking I shot myself, and with copious amounts of blood, running down my face, I saw my sights on the ground. The sight sheared off, when the barrel recoiled, and nailed me pretty good. I do my own soldering now.

Boolit Master

I looked up "one ragged-hole" sight, and was hoping they made them for S&W revolvers, but....no joy for Smith shooters.

Boolit Mold
    I remember something about human eye sight is only able to focus on a single focal point at one time, however, the muscles that that stretch the eye lens are able to very rapidly refocus on multiple focus points and our brains combine those images to produce the subjective image that we "see". Unfortunately, those muscles weaken as we age, so even a person who has 20/20 will eventually start to have problems seeing the target, front sight and rear sight simultaneously. When you combine that with other vision problems such as astigmatism, near or far sightedness it is easy to see how iron sights become a problem. When I was young I shot National Match Course Military Rifle with an M-1; now when I sight a Garand with my normal eye glasses I can not see either the target, front sight or rear sight. My solution has been to have my optometrist make me a set of tri-focal shooting glasses; the top band gives me a crisp image of the front sight that I can then approximately place on the blur of the target. I find that if I paste a florescent red sighting disk over the 10 ring it gives me a better aiming point. With my handguns I've added florescent front sight inserts. Now when I can place the insert on the target that's pretty much where the bullet will go, at least to 7 yards. I'm thinking that I may try a fibre optic front sight on one of my rifles to see if that might help. In any case, I've got to accept that I can't shoot very well with out a scope these days. TO HELL WITH THE GOLDEN YEARS! IrishFritz

Boolit Master

Out at the shooting range, with bright sunlight, I don't have as much trouble with iron sights on rifles or handguns. Bright Targets, painted sights, etc.

When in the woods under hunting conditions, low light, dark back round, deer blending in with surrounding,.....it sucks.

Never was that way in the younger days,.....of course, a lot of things are different than in the younger days!

I use scopes now on everything I hunt with. No way around it,....it is what it is!!!

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I feel your Pain. I've tried just about everything suggested on this thread. Some of the suggestions really work but I just can't used to using them. What I mean is that for shooting at paper targets or informal plinking they work great but if I'm out hunting where the shots come very suddenly or quickly, the eye vs iron sights just don't work. I always seem to drift back to scope sights.

Just lately I happened to be at a local pharmacy where I noticed the stand with all kinds of reading glasses. (I have a pair of reading glasses in every room of the house) I stood there for a few minutes just trying out the different power levels of those reading glasses. I noticed that the 200 power reading glasses allowed me to see my thumb nail ultra clearly when held out to the distance of my pistol sight or my military surplus iron sights. The 150 power reading glasses allowed me to see the wall at the far side of the story pretty clearly. These reading glasses are like 25 to 30 buck apiece.

So, what I decided to do was to go on the Ebay auction site and take a look at reading glasses of the same power ranges there. On Ebay they sell for about seven-buck and free shipping. (same glasses-same brand name) For fourteen bucks I ordered a set of identical reading glasses. One set was of the 200 power persuasion and the other was the 150s. I haven't gotten them in the mail yet but it will be interesting if I can swap the left lens of the 200 power glasses with the left lens of the 150 power reading glasses so that it will allow my right eye to focus on the sights clearly and my left eye to clearly see my target. It may just make me dizzy as hell but I thought it might be worth a try. Couldn't be any better or worse than all the other methods I've tried.

I did inquire about my eligibility for the lasik procedure but apparently my eyes or I am not a candidate for that procedure.

HollowPoint

That's a good idea and worth a try. Please report how it goes for you. If it goes well I will try it myself.

HP: the problem with Lasik is that you get either close up focus or distance focus, you don't get both.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    HP: the problem with Lasik is that you get either close up focus or distance focus, you don't get both.

Randy
    I did not know that. I just assumed that the process was to get you back to 20/20 vision.

HollowPoint

This thread will become a sticky, I hope. Much good info here.

I had a pleasant surprise last summer. Friend of mine works rummage sales at her church. She brought home a box full of sunglasses that didn't sell. She gave them to me and suggested I try them. One pair was a high-end prescription pair that let me see better than the everyday glasses I've been wearing in recent years. Wore the shades shooting and was shocked to see the improvement. Part of the improvement was a better lense grind - the other benefit was the tinting on the lense. It brightened the woods up considerably and improves target images as well.

I could never afford them, but I believe the old Rayban shooting glasses, with yellow-tinted lenses, did about the same.

So maybe a trip to your drugstore/thriftstore/DollarGeneral and a few minutes trying various shades will help some with shooting, especially in the woods. Nowadays there is a vast selection of clip-ons for those who wear prescription.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast