MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big payloads in 2 3/4" 12 gauge

Big payloads in 2 3/4" 12 gauge

I'm curious:
    I got a Russian paradox slug mold and cast up a few today. Using the supplied core pin it cast a slug at 630 grains which there is plenty of data for. As cast with the standard core pin it is just a hollow base slug. I used the core pin from my Italian slug mold so I can use an attached tail wad, the resulting slug weighs 750 grains.
    Wow that is a big chunk of lead.
    The issue is that I can not find any load data for a 1.7 oz slug in a 2 3/4" hull.
    I don't have any, or even any access to 3" hulls.
    Is it possible to getting this thing to work

Well f you ask around I’m sure someone has some 3” shells they could send ya but maybe find a 1 1/2 oz load reduce the charge by 25% and use something strong to test it in and then work up or down watching for pressure sine an 870 Remington are tuff as nails with a mag receiver I bulge a primer into the firing pin hole with one of my experiments that I won’t try again but the slug barrel and receiver weather it like nothing happened other than it was sticky in the chamber had to knock it out with a barrel drop weight I made for knocking wads out on squib loads on the trap feild or stuck cases (you fire enough rounds and you will get cases that don’t eject eventually even with just target loads)

I have been trying to find some for about a week. No dice.
    I'm not really prepared to experiment at this stage of my life. I enjoy having all my fingers and eyesight

You could try drilling out the base to reduce weight

Boolit Grand Master

Dig around a bit. There is load data for some pretty heavy slugs though it is scarce. Shotgunworld and Nitroexpress are places to look.

I loaded up 800 gr. slugs over Blue Dot using Alliant information IIRC but birdshot loads anyway. I should have some load data in my pile 'o stuff. I have some heavy slug load data Greg Sappington gave me but I'll have to dig for it. Seems to me it was with SR4756 now discontinued though I have a bit left.

Ross Seyfried used 21.5 grs. of Unique under his 750 gr. Paradox slugs IIRC. I have that write up so can check for sure. This would be a mild load producing BP type veolities I think though it seems like a heavy payload for Unique so pressure could be fairly high.

This is why I like to keep slug weights about 600 grs. max. and preferably below 600 grs. Much more load data available!

I have a few 3" hulls you could test with though not many and I want to try some Tri-ball loads myself. I'll share though. Give me a call.

Longbow

I got the same mould coming from Mother Russia it was only $108 with free shipping but the delivery time was way out to the end of this month or beginning of Feb.

I will find us a source for the plug in wads at the SHOT Show in a couple of weeks. I already know they come from Italy and the guy who gave me the Thunderbolt slugs a few years ago will be there and they use the same type of wad just red instead of white. The inside of the slug is shaped the same as one of the Paradox Mould Pins as well. The Russians just copied it

The kicker is finding a source for the wads,,, which exists just have to find it.

If you start low enough you aren't going to have to worry about blowing yourself up. I'm talking Subsonic or trap load velocities around 1000 to 1100 fps. Then go shoot something to convince yourself that they are pretty formidable slugs even at those lower velocities.

I was watching a Youtube Video from "Taofledermaus" while waiting for my car to get serviced today. They were shooting Solid Lyman slugs forwards and backwards. These weighed 600Gr + and they were shooting at 800 fps and then 1000-1100 fps.

The Paradox Slugs should be more of the same. I liked the variation where you screw a gas seal wad on the back for a non discarding Sabot which is pretty much what the plug in wads do. LB would like them fo sho!

All these are for the rifled slug barrel on the A5.. with Powder Coating too boot!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I ended up ordering through a guy in the states. Unfortunately he only sent it with the standard core pin. I borrowed the core pin from my Italian slug mold wich does work however has a shorter block out in the bottom. This combo created a slug with 1/4" longer skirt section.
    I have the proper core pin ordered from Russia yesterday along with the "Universal" core pin and 500 more wads.
    I will likely just wait untill the proper core pin arrives to do any testing. With the proper core pin the slug should weigh about 550 gr and be the shorter length.

Where did you order the wads from? Link?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

http://svaroghunt.ru/pulelejki
    Molds are $58, core pins are $8 and wads are $6/100
    I ordered 2 molds and 1000 wads last time and shipping was $50.
    This time 2 core pins and 500 wads was $24 shipping.
    They have wholesale discounts as well.
    I'm contemplating doing a bulk order for distribution in Canada.
    P.S. longbow:
    I couldn't ask you to give up any of your powder or hulls. I am curious about your load data if you end up digging some up

Boolit Grand Master

If you use that tall wad, how is it going to fit in a 2 3/4" hull?

I don't see where you mention what hull you have, but here is for a Federal 2 3/4" "hunting" low plastic basewad. AKA buckshot hulls.

Federal 2 3/4" .090" basewad hull
    Federal 209A
    32 grains Bluedot
    Federal 12S4 wad
    1 5/8 oz lead shot (711 grains)
    fold crimp

1225 FPS
    10,300 PSI

This is straight from Federals load data book.

It should still fit, providing it's not super bulky powder. The overall length is the same as the Italian slug and I managed to fold crimp a cheddite hull with 35gr longshot and the Italian. Also loaded some up with 26 gr universal in a cheddite hull.
    I can also try roll crimping.
    The only suitable hulls I have would be gold medal, federal hunting and cheddite hulls.

Boolit Grand Master

Well there you go, try the federal hunting hulls. I wouldn't be scared at all to load some up with 30 grains of powder, and the listed 32 grains should still be safe as well if you want more punishment.

The hunting hulls I have are paper basewad. Though if I cut my charge to perhaps the 30gr bluedot in a cheddite hull.
    I guess I'm a little squeamish when it comes to experimenting. Big slug, lots of bering surface, no data.
    I'll load some up and see if the components fit, I'll keep you all posted

Boolit Grand Master

I just looked, there is a 1 5/8 oz load in a Cheddite hull with Cheddite primer, although with Longshot powder. I don't think Longshot is a good powder for this, but right next to it was the same exact load, this time in a Federal low plastic basewad hull and 209A primer. The velocities were similar, and pressure about 1000 PSI higher for the Cheddite. As someone else said, with a chronograph you can start really low and work up to 1000-1100 fps. You could safely push that to 1200 fps with Bluedot. If you can fit everything in a Gold Medal hull, I'd start at 28 grains, and adjust accordingly.

I don't like experimenting in shotguns either, just keep velocities low and you will be more than safe. I'm thinking of investing in the Pressure Trace system this year so I push up to real maximums.

Update:
    I finally got around to checking fit in a cheddite hull with the long paradox slug and tail wad.
    Charged a hull with 28 gr bluedot and tried a fold crimp. It turned out ok, crimps are slightly tenting. I may try a roll crimp. My proper base pin from Russia should be here Monday along with 500 more wads so it's lookin more and more that my testing will be done with the shorter lighter slug.
    I might try a few of the longer slugs as a curiosity thing. Just by the feel of them I'm not certain that these wads will keep these monster slugs stable through a smoothbore.

Ginsing: Can you post some pics of your slugs ?

Randy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190119_2147242.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	234353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190119_2146472.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	234354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190119_2148551.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	234355

Boolit Grand Master

Is that the Russian Paradox or Tusker? I thought the Paradox had a round nose but then neither is quite like the original... not that is matters, they are all nice slugs the Russian moulds cast.

That is a whopper when you use the Gulandi pin! How is slug fit to your bore? There's lots of bearing surface there for sure.

It'll be interesting to see how they shoot. With that long tail wad I doubt the extra skirt length will cause any grief ~ there's lots of wad behind for drag.

Longbow:
    It is the paradox mold. It is a monster for sure, I will include a few in the package I'm getting ready for you.
    The fit is a drop through in my cylinder choke and a little too tight in my I.C. it would be a perfect fit in a skeet choke but I don't have one for my 590a1
    I will be testing soon, we should definitely get together for a range day

Boolit Grand Master

Yes! I have to load up several types of slugs and some 2 ball loads for testing.

Hmmmmm... I was sure KrackenFan69 said the slugs he sent me were Paradox slugs but they have a round flat nose. Doesn't matter as the only real difference is the nose and maybe weight. Of course the original Paradox bullets used by H&H were solid and around 750 grs.

If your slugs are a bit small for your cylinder bore I can knurl them for you. So far I only have two sizers though ~ one for my 0.733" bore single shot and one for Lee slugs to remove taper at 0.672". A light knurl may be all that is required and it is pretty easy to do to get a specific size even without sizing.

Also, it occurs to me that I just bought a blank choke tube to rifle (in progress and at this point restarting with new cutter) and a cylinder bore choke tube but I haven't checked the diameter of the cylinder bore tube. It is Mossberg thread so should fit your gun. I'll check the diameter and let you know. If it is suitable for your slugs you can borrow it.

We can compare Paradox slugs too. I've still got a few as KrackenFan69 sent and a few I've knurled then sized. These are fairly soft alloy.

Longbow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast