Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 caliber revolvers

Banned

32 caliber revolvers

Have the companies stopped production on them?

Thought it might be an interesting companion to a few light weight molds for my 30 cal rifle, but cant seem to find a store with one in stock in my internet work.

Depends on what you are looking for.

I have picked up 3 from Gun Broker over the last 2 years.

Pair of H&R 2.5" double action in .32sw long, one blued, one nickle.
    And a NIB Ruger New Model Single Six in .32 H&R mag. That one should be easy enough to find.

But it does appear that the .32's are getting hard to find in the stores. Not enough demand?

Boolit Master
    I think that few stores stock the .32's in the store. You usually have to order them from the store's online website and pick them up at the store. I think it is down to Ruger and Charter Arms making them to sell. Mostly .327 Federal and .32 H&R at present.

In the past year, I picked up a single six .32hrm, a single seven .327 fed mag, and I have a .327 gp 100 on order. They have had a real surge in popularity among the reloading crowd, but they will never hit the mainstream because the factory ammo is hard to find and expensive. Check lipsey’s website for a dealer near you. They are leading the way with the .32’s
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger is pumping 327's out all the time. You can find brand new GP100's around $650-700. The only thing holding the cartridge back is the complete lack of good bullets. Federal 100 grain American Eagle is pretty good. The 115 grain Speer was better, but has been gone for about 8 years now. It's a shame because the 327 federal is a cartridge that performs best with bullets 120-150 grains. The 85 grain hyper velocity stuff is garbage. For reloading, all you have is a 100 grain XTP, and cast bullets are the only good options in my opinion.

Casting and reloading is the only way to go with the .32’s. I have an accurate 100gn swc mold, a noe 119gn rnfp mold, a miha sledgehammer mold, and I am waiting for the miha mjolnir group buy to go off. I pretty much don’t use the 100gn swc anymore. I use the noe mold in .32hrm and the s7. When I get my gp100, I will use the sledgehammer for that, and when the mjolnir gets here I will use that in the s7.

Boolit Master
    As a bullet caster, I value my 4.2" SP 101 in 327 a lot. I shoot pretty regular. I probably have shot more rounds from this gun in the last couple of years than the other 5 or 6 guns I use for practice. More than half of these have been my "22LR Alternate" load with a tumble lube (BLL) 60 gr no lube groove bullet (picture below) loaded for just under 1000 fps. This mild shooting load allows me to "calm down and focus" on sight picture / trigger pull with no concern for recoil. And with cheap lead getting harder and harder to find, this ammo really helps me stretch out my lead stash.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180224 Pile O 32s.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	233498

I also shoot some more mid range loads with medium weight ASBB HF Red PC coated bullets and close to "book max" loads using a powder like unique or HS6. These have enough bark to challenge me to maintain good form even when I know there is going to be some smack to the palm of my hand.

I really like 2400 for my semi-hot .327’s. I load 10.0gn with a 119gn pc rnfp for about 1,250fps. For hot loads, I don’t think H110 can be beat. 4.5gn of unique with the same 119gn bullet is a mild accurate load also. It runs about 1,000fps.

When my wife was alive, I used to load mild loads for her and hotter loads for me. I am changing up now, and trying to shoot heavier bullets with hotter loads.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Other than the new production 327 revolvers, there are a lot of S&W Regulation Police 32's and newer Model 30 and 31 "J" frame 32 Long Smiths. I see them on gun broker and at every gun show I go to. There are a lot of Police Positive and Police Positive Special 32's in everything from 32 Colt to those that take 32 S&W & 32-20. I have more 32 caliber revolvers than all other chambering combined. Not hard to locate but can be pricey; but worth it. I've owned 6 327 revolvers since 2009, currently have 4. I like 32 revolvers!!

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    There is a S&W Model 31-1 for sale right her on Cast Boolits. They are everywhere.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Agree on the S&W Models 30 and 31.

The post-1957 J-frame S&Ws are sturdy, well-made guns which can be stoked up to match .32 H&R Magnum ballistics without shaking apart, although their true utility is as a mild-mannered, small game gun, keeping the revolver velocities to factory .32-20 ammo levels (850-900 fps), which offers mild report, great accuracy, flat enough trajectory, AND you can eat right up to the bullet hole!

I recommend 2.5 grains of Bullseye with the RCBS 32-98SWC or similar bullet in the .32 S&W Long.
    In the .32 H&R Magnum or Colt Police Positive in .32-20 use 3 grains of Bullseye.
    For Ruger .32 H&R Mags and heat-treated K-frame S&W .32-20 and Ejectors and the Colt OP and Army Special use 3.5 grains.

Trying to hot rod these guns is contrary to their intended small game purpose.

If you want to blow varmints apart in a red haze to hasten their bio-degradability, get a .327 or a .30 Carbine Ruger.

There are LOTS of 3" and 4" S&Ws and postwar Colt D-frame .32s on GunBroker.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    As I’ve said before, the 32s have long been a sort of “Red-Headed Stepchild” in the handgun world. The 32 S&W Long was limited to the strength of the old break tops, and the 32 H&R Magnum-wannabe was limited to the relatively weak H&R revolver design. By the time the 327 Federal Magnum was introduced the gun community had begun to identify with plastic fantastic 9 mm bottom feeders... bad timing, that!

For those of us who are determined (or obstinate??) enough to stay with real metal revolvers, the time is right for a serious upswing in the fortunes of 32s everywhere. We need to act quickly though because these days of rapid changes (and dropping) of available guns. You already missed your chance at a current production Ruger Blackhawk in 327 FM, for instance. Smith & Wesson have been very spotty with their 32 revolvers for the last couple of decades, witness the unicorn-like 4” Model 631 with adjustable sights. The bean counters were quick to discontinue it for a supposed lack of demand, but they were out of production before many of us knew they existed, so of course current prices are at nose bleed levels now.

The take-away? Buy those 32s while you can, and even if one doesn’t work out for you, somebody else will be standing there wanting to buy it from you, maybe even at a profit!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    crankycalico,

Check Gunbroker. I won an auction for a new six inch GP100 .327 last Thursday for $575.00. With shipping ($15.00) and FFL transfer fee ($15.00) I will have only $605.00 in the gun. There are also GP100s listed with "buy now" prices of $600.00 if you don't want to do the auction thing. However, most of the GP100s are going for more than that and winning that auction was somewhat of a fluke. I did not check the prices on the SP101s and Single Sevens because I have four of those in .32 H&R and .327 Federal and don't need any more.

Gus Youmans

I found this Cimarron Model P in 32 WCF on gun broker about a month ago so they are out there - just keep looking and you'll find what you want.

Gotta love the 32's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32-20.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	233584
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve literally spent the last decade chasing, buying, and building various 32 revolvers. These range from a snub nosed I-frame to a Ruger Blackhawk in 327 FM and a Uberti SAA in 32-20. As I said previously, 32s are available now, but getting harder and more expensive by the day. My last slot was for a J- or I-frame kit gun (with adjustable sights) to buy or build, but life is beginning to get in the way and that project has moved to the back burner. The two K-frame customs I’ve recently finished and the aforementioned snubbie will probably have to do for the foreseeable future. Regardless, if you enjoy shooting revolvers, you “need” to grab a 32 of some sort, get the bullet mould and dies for it, and just do a lot of fun shooting!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    I am another Mid-Caliber Revolver enthusiast. Currently in the safe are a Colt New Pocket x 6" in original nickel (32 "New Police", Colt-speak for "S&W Long"), a S&W Model 16-4 x 6" from 1989, and a Ruger SP-101 x 4.2" from a couple years ago. 32/20s on staff are a Colt Bisley x 4-3/4" (1897), Colt Army Special x 5" (1920), S&W M&P from c.1933, and a Marlin 94CCL from 2004. I think a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine counts as well (2013). I have been engaged for the past couple years in handing off firearms to kids and relatives, and I still have that project under way. But I will ALWAYS stop to look at any decent mid-caliber handgun, and if the price is fair it will find space in my safe between shooting and hunting trips. Love the 30s/32s, and I haven't mentioned the bottom-feeders.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I just cast a PILE of RCBS 32-098 SWCs. The .32 is probably my favorite caliber.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    I don’t know where you are located, but ATWOODS farm stores carry guns and can order almost anything in current production. They deal with LIPSEYS a lot, but others as well. I’m in the process of having them order me a Henry Big Boy Steel in 327 and either a Single-7, GP100 in 327 or the Bisley Single-6 in 32 H&R.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i have been on a 32 craze lately have 6 top break 32sw 3 sw longs a 32 hr and 2 32 acp's .and if you don't mind a bit of work you can get them for little or nothing. just bought 3 couple weeks ago a sw hand ejector an ivor johnson top break and a us revolver all for 80 dollars. the sw took $14 dollars to fix part on way for ivor johnson it was under ten dollars the us revolver may be parts as it will take about 60 dollars to fix. check gunbroker there are plenty . they are my favorite guns my better half asked if they stopped making other caliber guns.

Banned
    in a 120 mile circle, I have 3 walmarts, 2 dunhams, and 2 independent FFL holders.

That's all I got to pick from when it comes to looking at guns. SO much BS these days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast