RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sixgun coyote

Vendor Sponsor

Let me have the LOA of the boolit, and the seating depth, and LOA of the loaded round. Curious.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Let me have the LOA of the boolit, and the seating depth, and LOA of the loaded round. Curious.
    If I use one of the 44 devastator boolits, LOA is .686" .410" from nose to crimp groove, .276" from crimp groove to base, so my seating depth is .276" with case length given as 1.153" and cartridge length as 1.563" overall. Of course since there are no +P specs for 44 special, QL gives the necessary warnings about over pressure.

Also, it looks as if the 17.0gr charge of H110 may be well below the recommended starting weight for this caliber/boolit combo. H110 likes a HIGH load density in the case, most published sources show the minimum case fill for H110 as 73% with strong recommendations not to download this powder below recommended starting weights. I personally try to achieve a 78% density as minimum when using H110. I would say that your 18.5gr load would qualify as a safe starting load, and you may find a sweet spot with this load in the 20.0gr ~ 20.5gr range. Do not extrapolate any data I posted without verifying A.) seating depth, and B.) boolit weight are close, seating depth being CRITICAL in using both QL and published loading manuals for load development.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-07-2019 at 11:02 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Good job on the yote! They are always a challenge with sixgun. When you get one its always a trophy!

Boolit Master

Nice! It's good to thin out those fawn eating contraptions.
    I blew my chance at a 50 yd. hand gun coyote from my deer stand a few weeks ago. I was busted as he saw me reach for my 629 smith. A few days earlier another coyote was preoccupied chasing a field mouse at 300 yds. He wasn't so lucky. 257 Weatherby sure blows a big hole in a coyote!

Boolit Man
    Coyotes are a tough target with sixguns. In the past few seasons, on pastures & between the cows, I've managed to connect on 5... lost count how many fooled me for range and got away between those though. Cagey & jumpy as the buggers are, seems a guy just never gets ideal shot presentation or ample timing on 'em. Frustrating sometimes.

Good shootin' Lefty

Vendor Sponsor

Ok given corrected numbers for boolit length overall and boolit seating to .368" in the case, this shows the changes from the earlier photo (which was just a guess using a popular cast boolit for example).

OAL loaded ammo is 1.555”
    OAL of boolit is .770”
    Base to crimp is about .360”
    Nose to crimp is about .400”

Last edited by DougGuy; 01-08-2019 at 12:07 AM.

Boolit Master
    Wow, thats pretty newt Doug. Looks like my load is pretty spot on with Quick Load. The oressure really jumped up with my extra shank length.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    Wow, thats pretty newt Doug. Looks like my load is pretty spot on with Quick Load. The oressure really jumped up with my extra shank length.
    Yeah it shows a big difference in load density as well. First photo using a guessed-at load shows 73% load density with 18.04gr powder, and a seating depth of .276" and the same powder charge results in 85% load density with the seating depth now corrected to .368"

Boolit Master
    Hey there fellow Lefty!

Good shooting!!

I think I am at three with my Redhawk and one with a Keltech PF-9.

The PF-9 was a case of my stock dogs rounding up a pup ote and runnng him into and under a hay rake I was near. I saw the coyote run right to me as I stood motionless. Once it was trapped I took a few brisk steps over, drew the “belly gun” and powder burnt me a coyote!

I have not encountered any with the ole 480 yet ....lol!

Best regards

Three44s

Here are a couple more

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Thumbcocker, what caliber is that Bisley?
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    long live the deer death to the yotes. nicely done sir,true pride felt when you do all the prep yourself isn't it?

.44 magnum

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Good shooting and great story .
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master

Lefty SRH, you made a great shot. You even called it in. Great hunt, great story. I don't have any six shooter hunting stories for larger game to share other than squirrels. I wish I did because that really makes whatever it is a trophy no matter what it is My most recent coyote was with a 50 caliber muzzleloader while deer hunting. I called my friend who traps and asked him if he wanted it for the pelt. He said how big is the hole in the hide? I said 50 caliber. He took it anyway because it was a nice big one.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    Great Job. Well Done ; )
    H/D

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Lefty SRH, you made a great shot. You even called it in. Great hunt, great story. I don't have any six shooter hunting stories for larger game to share other than squirrels. I wish I did because that really makes whatever it is a trophy no matter what it is My most recent coyote was with a 50 caliber muzzleloader while deer hunting. I called my friend who traps and asked him if he wanted it for the pelt. He said how big is the hole in the hide? I said 50 caliber. He took it anyway because it was a nice big one.
    Coyote is our normal typical quarry. With the exception of this year I dont really deer hunt anymore. So calling is my/our typical way of getting it done. Seeing and watching them respond to my calls is always enjoyable and doesnt get old.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12