Graf & SonsWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
StainLess Steel MediaRotoMetals2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Illegal Shot Placement

Boolit Master

Illegal Shot Placement

Iíve heard it mentioned that in some areas, it is illegal to take head and neck shots. You have to aim for the vitals. How common is that today and where?

Boolit Master
    Never heard of this, at least where I am in Canada.

Boolit Buddy
    Pretty sure the head is about the most "vital" part. I can tell you that popping it shuts everything else down pretty quick.

Boolit Master

I don't think I've ever seen a regulation in any state I've lived in that told you where to place shots. Some would question the wisdom or ethics of taking a more chancy shot like that, but it isn't illegal.

Nope , NADA, not here..

Vendor Sponsor

Not in NC
    I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

PULSAR night vision and thermal dealer !!!
    PM me for a good deal

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Before the slaughter house had more modern ( air spikes, electro shocks). Most used a .22 rimfire of some sorts. A shot behind the ear to the opposite eye was devastating on sheep, pigs and cattle. The draw back to the head shot is it is a much smaller area to hit, and a lot of hunters want the trophy. The spine is also a much smaller spot then the normal vital area. If the hunter and his equipment are capable from field positions these can be very effective. A lot of the old timers here that drew a doe tap for deer would hunt from blinds and head shoot the does ( no trophy and no loss of meat)

Head/neck shots are legal here in Ky for deer. When I took the hunter safety course they advised against it. Anything centerfire is legal for deer in kentucky. However, only rimfire is legal for small game. Kinda of a bummer, cause I cant use a reduced load for small game, or a 357 lever gun.

Boolit Buddy
    well in MOST states any attempt to alter the gender of the game animal is a no no, cutting the antlers off a spike or buck and using a doe tag is illegal, so a shot to the head with say a 30-06 is going to pretty much remove the horns...

And here in Michigan as of this year head shots are illegal. They want the entire head given to them for testing for a CWD program that has no actual intent in doing anything.

Boolit Buddy
    Never heard of such.
    It would be impossible to enforce I would think. "What can I say officer? I'm a terrible shot." lol

I've thought it a bad idea ever since helping a neighbor look for a deer he had taken a head shot on with a .243 Win. He hit it too far forward and it just blew its jaw off. The poor deer's jawbone was dangling from its head.
    Luckily he was able to put it out of its misery. If he hadn't located it, it would have died a slow painful death.
    Thus, I don't take them unless the range is extremely close.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post

And here in Michigan as of this year head shots are illegal. They want the entire head given to them for testing for a CWD program that has no actual intent in doing anything.
    Illegal ??????

What is the criminal penalty for a head shot on an animal in Michigan?
    How does the state handle the, "I was aiming for the body and missed" defense?

They might want the head intact but there's not much they can do if a hunter brings them a deer with a bullet hole in the head.

When I could see, the neck was my aim. I knew my ability. Now it is the shoulder, I'm to busted up to track for any distance. I want them on the ground.

Boolit Master

Besides the saved meat, head and neck shots are a lot easier to dress out in my opinion. Saves the liver too.

My wife's boss heard a shot early the first day of this year's buck season. Shortly after a buck with no lower jaw showed up and he was able to drop it. I would never try a head shot even if it was close.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Illegal ??????

What is the criminal penalty for a head shot on an animal in Michigan?
    How does the state handle the, "I was aiming for the body and missed" defense?

They might want the head intact but there's not much they can do if a hunter brings them a deer with a bullet hole in the head.
    The STATE wants the ENTIRE BRAIN UNDAMAGED. meaning NO HEAD SHOT IS ALLOWED NOW.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    [QUOTE=crankycalico;4543333 They want the entire head given to them for testing for a CWD program that has no actual intent in doing anything.[/QUOTE]

Appears to me they are looking to decimate the entire herd, even though they have no idea if it will make any difference whatsoever.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

https://youtu.be/a9ePkrmwT3c

"Salient rules: Heavier the boolit, less twist is needed; more pointed a boolit, less twist is needed; longer the boolit, more twist is needed; the windier the condition, more twist is needed; longer the range, more twist is needed; more of a boattail, more twist is needed; more hollow the point, less twist is needed." ... felix

Boolit Grand Master Texas by God's Avatar
    Weird. They only need a 1/4" plug of brain to test for CWD. And here the game warden asks permission to take that plug.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The STATE wants the ENTIRE BRAIN UNDAMAGED. meaning NO HEAD SHOT IS ALLOWED NOW.
    I believe you are incorrect. Please post a reference as I cannot find one
    Don Verna

NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    They may want it but that doesn't mean it's illegal if they don't get what they want.

Again, what's the penalty for a head shot?

Unless there's a law that specifically prohibits a head shot and specifies a penalty for that action, it's not a criminal offense.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Appears to me they are looking to decimate the entire herd, even though they have no idea if it will make any difference whatsoever.
    Hamish trust me -- they already have. Michigan DNR doesn't have a CLUE. We have so stinking many does half of them will die if a hard winter rears its head.

Michigan QDMA and DNR have totally screwed young people who may depend on Venison to feed their family. Wife and I HAD to get all legal deer when we were young with little kids because we were so poor.

My attitude, on my little slice of heaven is It's the kings land, the kings deer, and I'm the king.

When/if my family is ever hungry again the law ceases to mean a dog gone thing....

Art

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast