WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lube problem

lube problem

Hello everyone, I was doing the simple lube, with beeswax, vaseline, dexron II, and two stroke oil
    the problem is that everything is stuck, is not there in the lubrication slots, any ideas? it comes off all together from the boolits
    https://youtu.be/zNxrpA0cdps
    https://youtu.be/9LVZdEVAis8

what am I doing wrong?

Moderator Emeritus

As one who often feels frustration -- I do feel for you. You are not doing anything "wrong" -- perhaps my best way of suggesting a remediation might be for you to Google, "cake cutter bullet lub". I personally, take an expanded shell a smidgen (technical term ) larger than the bullet I wish to lub, which I had drilled the primer pocket out to 1/4" -- and then "cut" the lub with the case mouth -- after which I use a length of brass 1/4" rod to push the now lub'd bullet out onto an old cookie sheet.
    If you Google as suggested, you'll see all sorts of devices (e.g., http://www.texas-mac.com/Pan_Lubing_Problem_Solved.html ) as well as methods -- even You Tubes showing the process each employs.
    Good luck and best wishes! I'm neither smart nor adroit enough to "do better" than what's already been published...
    geo

I've never used that exact formula but I've used a bunch of beeswax/crisco. With my lube I get the same thing if I let the lube cool too much before trying to take the cake out. Soon as the lube shrinks away from the sides of the pan but before it cools completely, you should be able to push the bullets out of the cake.

Your bullets are way to close together. About 3/8 or 1/2 apart helps a lot. If you pour melted lube over cold bullets you get poor adhesion of the lube in the grooves. I put my bullets in the oven on the lowest setting for 15/20 minutes. This melts the lube and heats the bullets thoroughly.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 01-06-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post

Your bullets are way to close together. About 3/8 or 1/2 apart helps a lot. If you pour melted lube over cold bullets you get poor adhesion of the lube in the grooves. I put my bullets in the oven on the lowest setting for 15/20 minutes. This melts the lube and heats the bullets thoroughly.
    What he said.
    Instead of warming the boolits I set them in the pan - in the holes left by the last batch - let the lube melt completely before I turn off the heat. It's a different method but gives the same result. By the time they're ready to come out of the cake I have a batch of charged cases ready to load.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I don't use that particular lube but I have an old round cake pan tgat i set the bullets in and use a heat gun to melt the moly-bee I use around them. This heats the bullets and melts the lube at the same time. Then use a cake cutter to remove the bullets after it gets hard. For the next batch I just put bullets in the holes left last time a remelt the lube, adding more lube if needed.

To make a simple one I followed these directions for 44, 41, & 308

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ke-Cutter-Idea

Boolit Buddy
    With all due respect, there are plenty of inexpensive lubes that have been tested and shown to work in most any application. Unless you enjoy the process, you might want to give our vendor/sponsors a go. I did that and never looked back.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Don’t give up on homemade lubes. Maybe try another mix, but try heating your boolits first. Maybe a cutter made from a slightly larger case, before you remove them.

Boolit Master

The bullets are WAY too close together, and if you are trying to remove the bullets in the pic, the lube has cooled WAY too much.

ok, I made a cutter with an old brass, and I took them out of the pan when it was still hot and it improved a lot. Putting the boolits more separated from each other also made the task easier. I think I'm going to add more Vaseline to the preparation.
    Thanks for the ideas

Boolit Buddy
    Just grab them by the nose when the lube has setup mostly not all the way cool.
    They make a little sucking noise and pop out real nice.
    Put more boolits in the holes and repeat.
    I also put my checks on and size before I lube.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
    Just grab them by the nose when the lube has setup mostly not all the way cool.
    They make a little sucking noise and pop out real nice.
    Put more boolits in the holes and repeat.
    I also put my checks on and size before I lube.
    This is the way I've been doing it since day one with my rifle bullets . Use needle nose pliers and gently grasp the nose and pull straight up while the lube is still slightly warm .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

The best thing I ever bought was a Lyman 450 lube/sizer . One cycle of the handle sized, lubricated and seated a gas check. So fast, neat , clean, easy and worth every penny ....all that pan lubing mess was quickly left behind. Think about it !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

I tried pan lubing several times...and found out there is a learning curve...I never really did get it nailed down.
    >>> When I got my first lubesizer press, I was so happy and thought to myself, "I should have bought that press sooner", it's much less messy and much simpler to get a nice clean sized and lubed boolit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

When I pan lube I remove the cake from the pan and push the bullets out bottom first. I never sized them first but that is a good idea. When I go to run them through the lee sizing die they get lube all over the nose, which I remove with a rag and lighter fluid.

I finally broke down and bought a Lyman 450 from the swapping and selling section a while back. Very clean and easy. I got pretty good at pan lubing so I'd say there wasn't much difference in the time.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 01-09-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    There’s always powder coating. It works great. That’s what I use most of the time.

Boolit Buddy
    I went the other way with my rifles - the 450 had a habit of bending some of the longer bullets.
    after some messin around I could get it to work OK but tried push through and pan and have
    no problems - I just grab them with my fingers but they are pretty longish (299,284,290)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
    I went the other way with my rifles - the 450 had a habit of bending some of the longer bullets.
    after some messin around I could get it to work OK but tried push through and pan and have
    no problems - I just grab them with my fingers but they are pretty longish (299,284,290)
    I must of read this push em out of the cake description a hundred times and each time I just shake my head and go -- these guys are nuts -- I pan lubed boolits most of me life -- it still sounds crazy to me - must work somehow considering how many write about it .

I always used a cookie cutter of some sort - made about a half calibre over size and with a push through setup - set it in a tee handle made from a piece of broomstick -- they a piece of cake to use - I will not load a boolit that does not have the lube grooves completely filled - thats my major worry with the push em out method.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    There’s always powder coating. It works great. That’s what I use most of the time.
    would have thought that a recipe for disaster (fouling) with blackpowder? no?

When I push out the bullets there are always some that need a little lube pushed back into their grooves.

Boolit Buddy
    With simple lube mine come out filled perfect unlike Bens red but I'm still workin on that.
    I do add the lanolin though and don't let it set up totally solid.
    They even make a little suction noise - put more boo;its in the holes and repeat.
    Those are the only 2 I have tried though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast