WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bunnies & an M1 Carbine

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Funny thing, I tried mine on golf balls too but **** those guys get mad just as they're starting to putt!

Dick
    I like 'em moving...... take 'em right before they fall in a hole..........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Larry, it's a good thing I don't live closer, I think me & you would get in a lot of trouble............ Although we might go back to Wickenburg next year!

Dick

Funny thing, I tried mine on golf balls too but **** those guys get mad just as they're starting to putt!

Dick
    They don't taste very good, either.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Larry, it's a good thing I don't live closer, I think me & you would get in a lot of trouble............ Although we might go back to Wickenburg next year!

Dick
    Dick

If you do we'll get together out Solome or Bouse way......

Larry
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Done deal!

Dick

Funny thing, I tried mine on golf balls too but **** those guys get mad just as they're starting to putt!Dick
    There should be some way to combine golf and skeet shooting.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

There is! Back in my younger years we went to the Air Farce Academy to compete against their trap and skeet team. They had a trick shooter there who played golf with a shotgun. He put on a display for us of drives that carried long distances, and could also hit high wedge shots that only covered about 100 yards. He could also slice or draw the ball as required. It was very fun to watch but appeared very hard on the golf balls using #8 shot!
    Tony

Boolit Master

Corrected my mistake, it's an original Inland M1 carbine, not Universal, my mistake. The gun came with one magazine full of loads with a 110 gr RN cast that I sure would like to find the mould for. It's a plain base but I can't find a number for it, maybe Larry or some of you might recognize it. Thanks,

Dick
    I would be a bit worried about that brass. Are the loads way to hot and bulging the case or is there something wrong with you die? That round looks ready to rupture!

Boolit Master
    I didn't load those rounds, they came with the gun when I bought it so I pulled one to see what we had inside. It's some fast burning powder, about 6-7 grs by weight but the brass had been sized off center & some wouldn't chamber. It looked like he didn't have them lined up straight in the shell holder but I can only guess.
    I only have 4 rounds left. Would still like to find one of these moulds, #311257.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, at 110 gr that should be the 311257. Years ago one of my first cast bullets for the 30 Carbine was the 311410. I also had a 311255 mould loaned to me for a while. It's basically the same bullet as the 311257 but I also didn't get much accuracy at/past 100 yards above 1600 fps. I loaded both about every way they could be loaded but didn't get as good accuracy as factory soft points. Accuracy with Speer and Hornady 100 and 110 gr bullets was much better. The PB'd 311410 and 311255 were both excellent short range plinkers though and I shot a lot of each before I "discovered" the 311359 GC'd cast bullet.

Once I tried the 311359 I quickly discovered accuracy was on par with both factory SPs and reloads with 110 gr SP. The GC'd 311359 at 115 gr could also be loaded to 200+ fps faster than the 130 gr 311410 or the 115 gr 311455 and could regulate to the rear sight ranges out to 300 yards. The GC'd 311359 also was as accurate as commercial factory JSPs. I still shoot a lot of 311359s for fun and in some "carbine matches" where it's fun to watch the AR shooter's jaws drop when I out shoot them not only with an M1 Carbine but with cast bullets too!

However, with it's spire point nose the 311359 and the RN '410 and '255s didn't kill very well. I then found a 311316 mould (the GC'd 32-20 bullet with a large flat meplat) and used it for quite a while but there were feed issues with it in some carbines. Feeding was not always 100% reliable. When Lyman announced the 313631, A GC'd SWC at 105 gr for the 32 H&R, I got one and have found it to be an excellent bullet in the 30 Carbine. I generally cast them of COWW + 2 % tin these days, AC and age them and size and GC in a .311 H&I in a Lyman 450. I then size them in a .309 Lee sizer for use in the 30 Carbine. Those are the rounds in the previously posted photo. I push those over H110 at 1950 fps and they are accurate and deadly out to 300 yards and are my preferred hunting bullet/load in the 30 Carbine.

However, back in the day when I was loading the RN I was not aware of being able to flatten the nose when sizing. Had I been I may have taken another route and still have the PB'd moulds as I have passed over a couple 311255/257s at gunshows over the years....... Looks like they are working fine for you.

Looking forward to meeting and doing a little 30/32 shooting. There is a good café in Salome BTW........
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    I have dabbled with Lyman #313631 in 32 Magnum and 327 Federal. The faster it is driven, the better it groups from my revolvers. From what Larry writes, I need to try this casting in my 32/20 levergun and in the 30 Carbine Blackhawk. Couldn't hurt......
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLar View Post
    Nice to see some old Idaho boys doing good on here!
    Last time I went rabbit hunting only saw a few Jacks and no bunny's.
    The Jack's were real skittish. This was north west of Aberdeen.
    This has been my experience this year. I haven't been out there since October. We camped out there and drove clear from Coffee Point to Arco and didn't see a single Jack, granted we didn't get out and walk much that trip but typically we should have had them cross the road. We did see 3 coyotes though. Earlier in the fall the areas that we typically hunt held very few and they were busting out in front of us at least 50 yds and wouldn't circle just keep going. Me and my boys hunt with our Jack Russel and Collie/Pit mix dogs and if there are rabbits around they will get on them and flush and find for us. We are definitely having a off year not like 2 years ago.

Boolit Master
    Larry, the little trick with the top punch is something I've done with several different molds over the years & it works great. I'm sure you're like me & have a whole bunch of different top punches, it's pretty simple to find one that will do the job on either a round nose or a spire point cast & make it into a hard hitting cast bullet that really changes things! Much like Paco Kelly's accurizer tool.

Dick

Boolit Master

Dick
    Right there in front of God, the golfer and everybody?

That would sure stir things up with the greens keeper lol! ...... tearing up pretty grounds, oh my.

I did tick off my BIL though. He said I was shooting better golf balls than he was playing with (though all mine are free). I informed him to bring his tattered specimens up and I would trade ball for ball anytime just to make him happy. Never heard another whimper about since.

Three44s

Boolit Grand Master

Larry, the little trick with the top punch is something I've done with several different molds over the years & it works great. I'm sure you're like me & have a whole bunch of different top punches, it's pretty simple to find one that will do the job on either a round nose or a spire point cast & make it into a hard hitting cast bullet that really changes things! Much like Paco Kelly's accurizer tool.

Dick
    Yeah, I learned that trick after I had already gotten rid of the PBRN bullet moulds and had the GC'd 311316. Between that and the 313631 SWC I don't need to flatten the noses......

I also have one of Paco's tools for .22LR and a Waltz die also.....they are great tools to use which really improve the accuracy and on game performance of many .22LR rounds.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

In Remembrance

Have had good success with the LEE 113 gr. FP, FYI. Kills very well. I flat-based one mold and keep the other as a GC original.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12