WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nylon vs bronze bore brushes.

Boolit Master

Nylon vs bronze bore brushes.

Any advantage to using a nylon brush over a bronze one? I think bronze ones would scrub better.

Boolit Master
    nylon brushes are better for some "copper removing" bore solvents, that attack conventional bore brushes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master

Cool been thinking about trying them.

Boolit Master
    all things being equal....and not using a copper solvent. I really like Brownell's Special line brushes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Banned
    I don’t think nylon brushes do much of anything, but if you wanted to smear sweets up and down the bore, they would do OK. For cleaning, bronze is the way to go. And I put bore solvent right on the brush itself after two wet patches and stoke it back and forth 10 time or so. Then clean the brush with carb cleaner, then path out the crud. Then another wet patch to soak. That patch will tell you if you have copper build up.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    The invented Nylon Brushes for Snowflakes that think they can shoot a gun!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Personally I've always thought nylon brushes were bout useless in the bore. Guess they'd be alright for dry brushing to remove a dab of mud or other foreign matter. I too like brownells bronze brushes. I like pro shot brushes pretty good too, less expensive than brownells and have a brass core.

Banned
    I never go out and buy nylon brushes but I do occasionally find uses for them.

The nylon brushes with the twisted wire handles that are all one unit are handy for quick cleaning of dies on a progressive press. I keep several of different diameters hanging from a cup hook near my press.
    They are also useful in a range bag if you shoot revolvers and need to make a few quick passes through the chambers of a revolver during along session.

As for cleaning a bore, I agree that the nylon brushes don't serve much purpose in that role.
    Bronze bore bushes can be rinsed off with water after they come in contract with an ammonia based solvent OR they can be cleaned with something that displaces the solvent (Ballistol works well).

The only time I use ammonia based solvents is when I shoot jacketed bullets. If I'm using lead projectiles, Kroil is my cleaner of choice.

Boolit Grand Master

I almost never use bronze brushes anymore for rifles. I have a borescope so I can see the results on what works best for me. Mostly use Bore Tech Eliminate or wipeout followed be a mild abrasive. If you check with most of the long range competitors it is rare to find anyone still using bronze brushes. This applies to smokeless and jacketed. Not sure what the current trend is for the BPCR types.

For lead and smokeless in handguns I still use bronze brushes.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-07-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Banned
    I've had a bore scope for 20 years and can see no ill effects from a bronze brush, nor have I ever read of any credible evidence of issues either. To each his own.

I've used just about every brand of bronze brushes and I think the Pro Shot brushes are best. Others start loosing bristles before they wear and get loose and you find them on the patches or the indentation on the shoulder of brass.

Boolit Master
    Mostly, I use bronze brushes. However, Bore Tech Eliminator specifies the use of a nylon brush, right on the bottle's directions. I've had quality bronze brushes literally fall apart, if not rinsed in a degreaser, after using most solvents. Not only the ones that are copper solvents. Been my experience, same thing happens to bronze brushes that are used dry, to just check a bore for any leading. Apparently, just the powder fouling attacks bronze.

Winelover

Apparently, just the powder fouling attacks bronze.
    Sounds plausible. Bronze is mostly a copper alloy and modern powders leaves ammonia residue - just try take a whiff from a well-used suppressor
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

Nylon isn’t really a scrubber, think of it as a chemical applicator with mild agitation.

If you’re not using a modern copper solvent I don’t see the need to use nylon.

I have both and use both as appropriate.

I too quit buying cheap bronze brushes, they’re weak and do not last. God forbid you use them with strong copper solvents and forget to wash the solvent off. The bristles will break off soon.

Brownells has the good brushes with the brass wire with loop end. Avoid the clipped end brushes.

Boolit Grand Master

Long but lots of interesting opinions from some of the top barrel maker and shooters here:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...eaning-debate/

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...and-materials/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-07-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    Bronze brushes,round cleaning jags and felt scrubbers here, nylon does nothing imho. I throw away bronze brushes after using copper removing solvents.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Banned
    they have a place in smaller bores mainly. Youll change your thinking the first time you try to scrub out a 17 hmr.

Me, I like to actually remove crud in a barrel so ive always liked a patch wrapped around the bore brush. REALLY sucks **** up. And a lot cleaner and easier then a bore snake.

Nylon doesn't react with the solvents so youll actually see if they are removing copper.

Boolit Buddy
    At a service rifle match I noticed an old timer cleaning his bore with solvent and patches. I talked to him about his method and he told me he never uses brushes on his barrel. He demonstrated how a bore brush rubbed laterally against the outside of a barrel (using my barrel) left faint scratch marks. That's the last time I used a bore brush on my Krieger match barrel!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishoot View Post
    At a service rifle match I noticed an old timer cleaning his bore with solvent and patches. I talked to him about his method and he told me he never uses brushes on his barrel. He demonstrated how a bore brush rubbed laterally against the outside of a barrel (using my barrel) left faint scratch marks. That's the last time I used a bore brush on my Krieger match barrel!
    I’m not being a smart ***, but have you ever seen the inside of a Krieger barrel? It is lapped rougher than what a bronze brush will ever do.

Boolit Buddy
    No, I never sectioned one and don't own a bore scope. However, I did section a Douglas barrel once it started to fail. After so much shooting (I lost count, and learned that I should keep a round count) I found the leade had migrated about an inch and a half. I just had subsequent barrels replaced when they failed to hold the 10 ring. I think they lasted about 6,000 rounds before they started to wander too far. The rifle was an M1A, so bench accuracy was not important.

Boolit Master
    Nylon with a wet patch over it, bronze brush if I feel like it, jag, depends on gun and bore. The bore cleaners have came a long way and the bore scope will warp ones mind!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast