Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much technology

Banned

Too much technology

Girlfriend's car would not start.
    Ran fine when parked. Next morning it would crank but would not start.

Here's what happened:
    Parked the car the day before, used the key to open the trunk and the plastic key handle detached from the metal portion of the key leaving the key in the trunk lock. No big deal - just pulled the key out of the lock and snapped the plastic head back onto the metal part of the key and carried on. Problem solved,... so I thought.

Turns out the RFID chip had fallen out of the key when it came apart and I didn't notice. When I put the key back together the chip was lying on the ground (gravel driveway and the chip was encased in black plastic - about the size of the gravel, some of which is black )

The next morning that same key would operate the starter but because the chip was on the ground behind the car, the **** thing wouldn't start. Took me about 20 minutes to figure out what had happened and another 10 the find the **** black plastic chip in the gravel behind the car. At least the weather was nice !

Found the chip, pulled the key apart again, put the chip back in the key, snapped the plastic back together - key starts the car again.

That's just TOO MUCH technology !!

Boolit Master
    Gotta agree there! That stupid chip is a solution to a non problem!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Take the chip and glue it next to the key cylinder on the column (this works for most cars) then you don't need an expensive key to start your car or don't need a bypass to install a remote starter.

Boolit Master
    I get way too angry when thinking about vehicle engineers & the really stupid things they have done over the years with vehicles. Particularly the BS hoops they have folks do to try to do simple maintenance, rather than taking the vehicle to a dealership for it. Some times you think you have to remove the spare tire from the trunk to check the oil.

I have dealt with the key chip issue myself with the missus' vehicle & I had to superglue the key together so it would work right. The cost of extra spare keys is out of this world...

I am going to stop with that said, before I get riled up on Sunday morning...

Glad you found the chip & solved the issue without too much trouble.
    -------------------
    Posted right as I was posting...
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Take the chip and glue it next to the key cylinder on the column (this works for most cars) then you don't need an expensive key to start your car or don't need a bypass to install a remote starter.
    ^That is a good idea.^ too late for me though.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Amen. Some design engineers really needed to be shopworn gear-heads first.
    Over the years, how many "special factory tools " have you fabricated from coat hangers, metal strap, or simply used needle nose pliers for ?
    I had an old chevy ranch truck that we replaced carb linkage every few years with new welding rods bent as needed...
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Master
    You’re lucky the chip was lost in a place where it could be found.

The auto makers care about making as much money as possible. My car doesn’t even have a oil drain. You need a pump to suck out the oil. Just another step to get people to go into the dealership for every maintenance function.

Those giant key fobs make it so inconvenient to carry multiple car keys. I might have to try some of the suggestions in this thread to see if I could just carry around the key and make that work.

The chip actually used to be in the key, separate remote. Ever try to change the steering wheel lock?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Hi Reddog.A friend cured that problem real easy.Dropped the oil pan,and cut the drain plug out of a junk oil pan and welded it into the vehicles pan.Problem solved.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

How about the new lazer cut keys. Had to have a chevy key made at a volvo dealer because when I bought the new High Country they did not have one in the dealership. They also charged me 85$ for the extra key after paying $65K for the truck. No kiss either!

By the way it does not have a chip in it so when you manually open the drivers door (only door with a key hole) the alarm beeps till you turn on the ignition switch.

Boolit Master
    Yep got them on bikes now.don't try and start it with both keys on the same ring ,it confuses the brain and they won't start.don't get me started on the latest keyless ignition !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    How about the new lazer cut keys. Had to have a chevy key made at a volvo dealer because when I bought the new High Country they did not have one in the dealership. They also charged me 85$ for the extra key after paying $65K for the truck. No kiss either!

By the way it does not have a chip in it so when you manually open the drivers door (only door with a key hole) the alarm beeps till you turn on the ignition switch.
    Does it have a chip but it's not programed? https://youtu.be/lcB4IqKWdXQ

Boolit Master

My wife bought a 12 yr old Japanese car. It only had one key and keyfob. Asked parts people the cost of a new one. $400. They said they had to send to Japan to get new key made. Outrageous. A lot of the bull fog is built in the system so we have to spend more more money. I sure miss my 66 Corvette.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a used 2015 KIA for a granddaughter, and didn't know until she drove home that it only had one key fob. A second fob cost $28. more than a payment.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

There's no ignition "key" for my current car and my previous car. Just a fob. And I'm told they cost about $500 to replace and reprogram. The only nice thing about it is that it just stays in my pocket and I press a start/stop button to turn the car on and off again.

In the old days, I did all the work on my cars and motorcycles. Can't do it any more so it has to go to the dealer for everything. Crazy.

--Wag--
    Last edited by Wag; 01-08-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master

I find it commendable that you were able to troubleshoot this problem and solve it. Yeah, technology is a wonderful thing until its not! I'm another that used to do a lot of my own work. Not anymore. You have to have an expensive computer, with expensive updates, to talk to the car's computer. And a lot of special tools to do the actual work.

I guess I'm a Dinosaur! I still have a timing light and a dwell meter hanging over my work bench! And a set of brake spring pliers and spark plug gap gauges in my tool box. Prolly some other antique stuff!

Boolit Grand Master

This is the reason I'm still driving my 1968 Chevelle.....No Technology.
    No computer, no electronic anything....points, plugs, condenser and a 4 bbl carburetor .
    It always starts and has never left me stranded...
    I can tune it with a screwdriver ....... Love the lack of technology sometimes.

Just did a few "speed" modifications to the 327 V-8 and it runs like a scalded cat... with the dual Cherry Bomb glass pack exhaust it sounds wonderful !
    If you have a classic muscle car...keep it !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Yep, my '86 Toyota truck isn't sexy but it most always works and when it doesn't I can always figure out how to make it go again. 2004 crown Vic is the most modern thing I own and it's a dinosaur compared to what's out there now. Still too complex for me though.

Boolit Master
    German cars are among the worst for new techno gimmics. They had the same problem in WWII. Their tanks were so laden with gimmicks that they had to be sent back to Germany to be fixed while the Russian T34 could be repaired in the field. At Stalingrad the rats chewed the wiring in the German tanks and the turrets would not turn leaving them pretty much useless. When my brother had a Honda motor cycle shop he did a good business in used cars. His insurance company would sell him cars they had written off and one of the cars was a BMW that was only a few years old but the wiring loom had for some reason fried itself. The insurance company figured it was cheaper to replace the car than pay the dealer to rewire the car. My brother new a man who would do the job for under a thousand so he bought the car, had it rewired and made money on it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    Thats why I keep my 25 year old truck. It has some of the tech on it but I can still work on it. After all the tech problems with her vw , the wife wants me to rebuild a 63 falcon I have for her everyday driver.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post

I guess I'm a Dinosaur! I still have a timing light and a dwell meter hanging over my work bench! And a set of brake spring pliers and spark plug gap gauges in my tool box. Prolly some other antique stuff!
    If you're a dinosaur then so am I !

I still have a timing light, vacuum gauge, brake spring pliers, spark plug gauges and a vehicle that I use ALL of those tools on.
    (not sure where the dwell meter is but I have the ignition wrenches and points file in the box where the dwell meter lived)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast