WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much technology

I recall when PCV valves were first introduced on cars. Mechanics grumbled about them and blamed a lot of problems on them.

Kind of humorous today to think about something pretty simple causing so much concern.

I have a 2007 4x4 Tundra. I really like my truck, but...

After a couple of issues, I began to wish for a vehicle with an actual mechanical connection between my right foot and the carburetor rather than fuel injection controlled by a rheostat, actual 4 wheel drive controlled by real linkage to a transfer case and limited slip that wasn't just a computer applying brakes to the spinning wheel.

Dinosaurs r us.

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    This is the reason I'm still driving my 1968 Chevelle.....No Technology.
    No computer, no electronic anything....points, plugs, condenser and a 4 bbl carburetor .
    It always starts and has never left me stranded...
    I can tune it with a screwdriver ....... Love the lack of technology sometimes.
    Gary
    You're a couple of steps ahead of the horse & wagon.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    If you think new vehicles are complex, the same thing is happening to farm equipment. Auto steer,field mapping,variable rate seeding andfertilizer application controlled by your digital field maps and yield data collected by the combine. All dependent on multiple satellite signals. Can anyone foresee any problems with this system, hopefully the new Space Force can keep our satellites safe!
    I'm still using equipment that I can actually fix, my favorite combine is a '74 model, and the new one is an '82. Also have some junkers laying around as spare parts.

Cars, farm equipment, boats, motorcycles. Everything is getting nuch more - way too complicated.

I like tech stuff and make my living in it, but I do enjoy simple stuff.

Stick shift, carburetors, cane pole fishing. I think we need ones of those groups.... simple stuff anonymous.

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.

Boolit Master

I had a similar problem when my late 90's Buick had a key with a resistor in the center of it. Apparently it is supposed to make contact with leads inside the ignition switch barrel, only something had gotten worn and it would work intermittently. If not working, the car wouldn't start for a one minute delay. Someone's idea of anti-theft. I grabbed the shop manual, which I'd bought years before, and figured out where that ignition circuit was, then put together a resistor pack that matched that of my key, and shorted it across the wiring leads to disable the interlock. Worked fine after that and new keys only cost $1.75!

As to replacing fobs, in my experience the dealer wants >$200, but you can often find compatible ones on eBay and then YouTube will show you how to program them to your car. Did that several times myself. Not all fobs are available of course, but many are.

BDGR

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Does it have a chip but it's not programed? https://youtu.be/lcB4IqKWdXQ
    Good question. I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks a bunch!

1-13-18

Update it was already programed. Must be some attention getter if you DON'T have the fob. Oh well it was a good idea.
    Last edited by Minerat; 01-13-2019 at 05:13 PM.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    All the tech junk.That`s why I love my 84 F150 300ci inline 6.Got rid of the computer carb and all the junk associated with it.Went back to the DS2 ign system.Fuel mileage went from 8mpg on the road to 16.Big difference.
    Change over was super simple.Just plug and play,as all the plug ins were in the truck wiring harness.Oh yeah.Be careful of the"fly by wire"systems,as it has already been proven to be able to be hacked by a simple lap top beside the vehicle.Just think of the fun.Turn the steering wheel left,and you go right.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master
    Shouldn't be mad at the technology.
    You should be mad at the reason for it.
    Key chip is to prevent it from being stolen.
    Get mad at car thieves.
    Computer control power train is for mandated mileage and emission laws.
    Get mad at the environmentalist and government.
    Government is moving to eliminate driving and gas powered cars.
    Cars will drive themselves, and all be electric.
    Enjoy it while we can.

Banned
    Considering that a HUGE percentage of stolen cars have the keys IN the car, the chip makes little sense.

And I'm not just talking about the key in the switch. People leave the valet key in the car (usually in the glove box or center console) and actually seem shocked when someone steals the car using the KEY !

I'd be willing to bet that 80%+ of the cars stolen in the U.S. had the keys in them !

Thieves look in all of the places that keys are commonly hidden and yes, they know where you are likely to hide a key.
    Locking the doors doesn't prevent the thief from accessing the interior and if you leave a key for them it doesn't matter how sophisticated the anti-theft system is. It's like buying the best safe in the world and writing the combination on the outside of the door,

I can do without all of that technology. I have a car that doesn't even need a key to start it (the switch is in the dash and the key can be removed in the off position OR the lock position. If you don't lock the switch you can start and stop the engine without the key).

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Shouldn't be mad at the technology.
    You should be mad at the reason for it.
    Key chip is to prevent it from being stolen.
    Get mad at car thieves.
    Computer control power train is for mandated mileage and emission laws.
    Get mad at the environmentalist and government.
    Government is moving to eliminate driving and gas powered cars.
    Cars will drive themselves, and all be electric.
    Enjoy it while we can.
    "and all be electric." but just think you will be able to plug in an aftermarket card that increases volts by 1/4% and adds 2 extra watts NOW we are flying NOT
    Have to add playing cards to the rims to get sound
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I hear about the autonomous vehicles every day, until that is the only thing on the road, I will NOT get in one! I have made a good living over the past 35+ years because technology fails, always has ,always will. I refuse to be unable to "take control" when that happens. Personal vehicles are not airliners, they will not have the number of backup systems to takeover when the primary fails, too costly to duplicate hardware when competing a price point. Software, that's a joke, I have to deal with code written by idiots daily, works mostly. The problem is exception handling, they all live in a perfect world. Driving has too many "exceptions", and a failure is deadly. Can an autonomous car wander city streets better than an average distracted driver, yeah maybe. Thing is, we humans can learn to be better than average, I don't get in a car with an "average distracted driver" , no how no way.
    I want to know how they expect to "fill up" the 300 mile per charge cars in their utopia, Cali doesn't have enough power now, where are they going to get more to offset the gas used now? How bout a "fill-in station" where it takes 3 hours(takes 8 presently to fully charge) to recharge on a 950 mile trip. Nope, not ready for prime time, but that's just me being old fashioned
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned

I deal with that type of tech everyday at work, for keys and such.

here is the "fix" for you on your car. take out the chip from the key, get a hot glue gun and glue it really close to where you insert the key to start car.

now it will always start.

no worries about losing the chip again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    I deal with that type of tech everyday at work, for keys and such.

here is the "fix" for you on your car. take out the chip from the key, get a hot glue gun and glue it really close to where you insert the key to start car.

now it will always start.

no worries about losing the chip again.
    I'm seriously considering that.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that 80%+ of the cars stolen in the U.S. had the keys in them !
    Every winter here in Albuquerque, we hear news reports of "warm-up drive off" auto thefts. For some reason, people have this idea that it's okay to start their car in the morning and go back into the house while their car's interior warms up. And it doesn't even get all that cold here. The insurance companies in many cases won't pay the claim, either.

All because some people believe that it's better to put their mode of transportation at risk than just wear a coat and gloves. Crazy.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Banned
    There are some high end cars stolen by flatbed wreckers or sophisticated techniques to clone keys but the VAST majority of stolen cars simply have the keys in them.

The keys with chips don't prevent theft when the owner gives the key to the thief by leaving the key somewhere in the car.
    Prior to keys with RFID chips it wasn't difficult for a thief to copy a key and return to steal the car at a later time. The popular method was to test drive a new car and copy the key during the test drive. I honestly believe the chip keys were more to stop the theft of the new cars from dealership lots than to prevent theft any time after the car was sold. After the sale of the new car the technology was more annoying to the owner than to a potential thief.

In any event, I prefer less technology.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    Every winter here in Albuquerque, we hear news reports of "warm-up drive off" auto thefts. For some reason, people have this idea that it's okay to start their car in the morning and go back into the house while their car's interior warms up. And it doesn't even get all that cold here. The insurance companies in many cases won't pay the claim, either.

All because some people believe that it's better to put their mode of transportation at risk than just wear a coat and gloves. Crazy.

--Wag--

With all the smart vehicle technology why can't they make all cars with the ability of a remote starter? At my age that's a useful extra on just a few currently.
    The only time I had a vehicle broken in to was after an officer insisted I lock it for safety. Sure enough the next night the window was broken and the interior trashed. The DA didn't prosecute and I wound up with a couple hundred dollar bill.
    You can't out technology a thief, only make it more inconvenient.
    Last edited by mold maker; 01-12-2019 at 06:07 PM.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Banned
    after 2010 you are forced to pay a few hundred to a dealer ship to clone keys for you gm vehicles. They took that option out of the car system. And you have to get the key from the dealership too.

And from dealerships tell me, the newer say 2016 have the key profile stored in some master gm database tied to each vin number so you just walk in show your vin and title, and they search the vin and hit start and get a new key made.

Boolit Master
    And charge you dearly for the convenience.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Instead of putting the chip in the car, I'd be tempted to see about gluing the chip to my wallet or the like; That would make it harder for a thief who could pick the lock or bypass it, to run off with the vehicle.

Better would be to have a "Trunk Monkey" installed

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    [QUOTE=mold maker;4548222]With all the smart vehicle technology why can't they make all cars with the ability of a remote starter? At my age that's a useful extra on just a few currently.

They do make them. A lot of people living in Alaska have them. If your vehicle is not too old you can have one installed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast