Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 bo cast bullet powder

Boolit Bub
    I use H110 for anything under 125 grains, Lil Gun for 125-150 grains and 1680 for subs (usually 200-230 grains). The H110 and Lil Gun are usually loaded with about as much as I can fit in the case while subsonic loads are loaded as low as will cycle the gun.

Boolit Buddy
    i have a 16 franken ar with a 1/8 twist barrel. the upper was purchased as a kit from CDNN and put on an old lower i have laying around. i shoot a lyman 311413 over imr 4198 (18 grains) for supersonic, and the lee 230 grain over 10 grains imr 4227 for subsonic. both powder coated and sized .309. the subsonic will shoot a fist sized group at 200 meters, the supersonic the same out to 300 meters or so. never had luck with 1680, h110 or lil gun. YMMV.

H110 is my go to for supersonic, I haven't built any subs yet and I need to. Also need to finish the suppressor. Tagging along for this one...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master

For me 296/H110 are primary. 4227 has produced my tightest groups with 150’s.

AA1680 is a awesome powder and works VERY well for subs and supers over 150g. Not great with lighter supers but useable.

Here is some targets, shot with the new Speer 150 GD built for the 300 BO.

Trail boss is a fun one for light loads with lead!! Also 4.5g of TB and a 90G XTP is a nice small game load! (Not really a AR friendly load or powder)

I have used many different powders and like all cartritages many powders work.

If I had to choose one it would be 296/H110. I dont shoot many supers.

Good
    Luck Lloyd!
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 01-18-2019 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Added Pics
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned

I guess I have to question the 4227 and lilgun for 150 or heavier bullets. The difference in burning rate between 110/296 vs 4227 vs lilgun is pretty minor. If I felt the need for a slower powder I think id skip up to 1680. I do know that some guns like certain powders and loads better then other loads and might be worth playing with but there close enough in burning rate that your not really gaining a measurable amount of velocity advantage with any of those three at book pressure levels. Personaly I don't like and wont use lil gun in anything anymore. It just burns to hot and heats up metal real fast if a mag dump is something you might do and 4227 is a dirty burning powder that leaves little kernels of unburnt powder (or filler) in every orfice of a gun. 110 burns clean as does aa9 and there military equivalents as does 1680 and burn cooler then even 4227 does. I will no doubt give 4227 and 1680 a run but lil gun NO THANK YOU. Once did a test with my 50 beo. I loaded 10 rounds of ammo with 110 and 10 with lilgun. Shot both as fast as I could pull the trigger. The 110 loads had the barrel to hot to touch but barely. the lilgun load had smoke coming off the barrel and you could have darned near lit a cigarette off of it just ahead of the handguard. Even have to wonder if that heat wouldnt effect coated bullets. Oh for the good old days of wc820 wc296 and wc297. I still have two jugs of 820 but that's all that's left and replacing it a guy might as well buy commercial powder. At least with it you can work up a load and buy some more of it 5 years from now and not have to start load development all over again. Best load ever in my beo was 297 pushing berry plated flat points. Problem is I don't have any more! Look at suggestions id bet 297 would be THE powder if a guy only wanted one for sub and super loads. Now keep in mind I have absolutely not experience with the bo and could be smoking crack here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Lloyd,

I'm shooting that bullet and the NOE 310-195 MX2-30H over 15.7 of Reloder 7 and its all I could ask for.
    +1 on Rx7...works well suppressed or not for my pistols & carbines even on my Ruger RAR

Boolit Master
    Slightly slower twist than normal for jacketed seems to be the standard recipe for setting up cast boolit specific firearms on this site. How does that figure in here when most everyone's AR has a faster than normal twist for subsonic jacketed 300BO?

Boolit Master

My barrel is a 1:8, I really would have liked 1:9 as most of my shooting with be with cast or 165 and lighter jacketed. But, it does seem to handle 150-165 cast pretty well.

Banned

well God was smiling on me today. Looked in the powder locker and way in the back there was not one but two 8lb jugs of wc297. Wish I could find data for it but I searched all over and found none. Guess ill have to take a swing and see.

Boolit Bub
    Anyone shoot cast from a Ruger American 300bo? Have a friend looking for subsonic cast load suggestions

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve used 296 the most with supersonic jacketed Loads. I’ve played with 4227 and CFE BLK as well. CFE BLK has great load density and has had low SD for me but not the velocity of 296. Lilgunnhasnt given me the accuracy 296 did somit was abandoned early on. With cast and PC, I’d probably look at 4227 if you have that. CFE BLK is also reported to be a “gassy” propellant and may be a good choice with lower velocity loads that will still function.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 01-22-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MTyotehunter View Post
    Anyone shoot cast from a Ruger American 300bo? Have a friend looking for subsonic cast load suggestions
    I do. I use 4.5grs TrailBoss for 130grs 311410, and 6grs for 151grs 312-159 (308 Hunting) and 180grs 311-180 Sil for subsonic velocity with small pistol (SP) primer. Have used few fast burning powders as N310, Unique....5grs with 150grs. All cast and PC. RAR, 300blk.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Lancer magazines are said to be the most forgiving with cast bullets.
    I can attest to this, I use only Lancer mags for my 300BO AR.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12