StainLess Steel MediaGraf & SonsInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The hidden cost of Power Coating - your toaster oven

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Exactly. And I'm thankful he did it. I can now be sure that my fraction of a penny rounding is covering that cost. Wonder if we can get him to see how much our ten and twenty pound pots are using per hour.....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    I have a Lee 420, hopefully I can cast again this weekend and I'll update.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    yup I don't meter the cost of my modem being on all night or how much it cost me per hour to watch tv or build a wood fire to cook over to save electricity or take cold showers to save a few pennys. Ive probably got 3ok worth of loading and casting gear out in the barn and another 10k building the loading room section of the barn. If I factored all the money I have there and in powder primers lead gas checks brass ect I could probably have bought factory ammo and it would have been cheaper in the end. but what fun is that. PC is just a small part of my big picture. Theres advantages to it and if it cost twice as much to heat my oven id still do it.
    I measured just about everything I had plugged in back when I got the meter. Found out that I could replace my dehumidifier, it would pay for itself in short order, and I would save $250/yr. It did surprise me that it wasn't worth replacing an old fridge however.

Boolit Grand Master

pretty easy to figure if you know your electric rate. You can either look at the wattage rating on your pot or more accurately use and ampmeter to measure amperage and multiply it by the voltage your using and it will give you the amount of watts your using. Your bill is based on kilowatt hours. that's a charge for how much a 1000 watt hours cost per hour. So if your pot draws a 1000 watts and you run it for an hour you used one kilowatt hour. that is if you pot runs constant. You also have to calculate how much of that hour its actually running. that will very some because it takes less to keep 5lbs hot then it does 10 but it will give you a rough idea. Our utility charges @10 cents a kilowatt hour so if my pot runs steady for one hour at a 1000 watts it costs me 10 cents to do it. factor in the pot is only probably on half the time and its closer to a nickel. But then I have a bad habbit of turning a pot on and letting it heat up and coming back in an hour or two to cast so that would have to be factored in too. Now you also have to factor in the flat rate meter charge of 15 dollars but spread over a month that's pretty minor.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; Today at 07:17 AM.
    Soldier of God, sixgun junky, Retired electrical lineman. My office was a 100 feet in the air, closer to God the better

Boolit Grand Master

biggest draws in your home are water pumps, water heaters and anything with a compressor ie fridge freezer dehumidifier. theres also many things in your home today using power 24/7. Anything with a digital display and your modem, cable or dish box cordless battery tool battery chargers ect. When I was lineman I heard the complaining all the time. Old timers saying there power bills are much more even factoring in cost of living then they used to be. Ive walked a few around there homes and showed them the equipment like these examples that run all the time that didn't exist 20 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeple2000 View Post
    I measured just about everything I had plugged in back when I got the meter. Found out that I could replace my dehumidifier, it would pay for itself in short order, and I would save $250/yr. It did surprise me that it wasn't worth replacing an old fridge however.
    Soldier of God, sixgun junky, Retired electrical lineman. My office was a 100 feet in the air, closer to God the better

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123