Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Lee 55gr in .222 Rem. ?

Boolit Master

Lee 55gr in .222 Rem. ?

Looking for a load in .222 Rem using Lee 55gr cast boolits. I'm want to be around 1500 fps. Thanks

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    I started playing around with some of these awhile back. I was shooting PB 55 gr powder coated with a good degree of success. IIRC I was shooting 5.3 gr. Of Red dot , and using some Wolf SRM primers. Standard SRP also worked well and the mag primers did no better ,or worse than CCI primers.
    Only reason for the mag primers was , I had them on hand and nothing else to shoot them in. The Lyman 48th has Data in it for that weight boolit, using Red Dot, Green Dot, and Unique. ( the ones i was interested in) . You will enjoy working on load development and seeing the results happen. I was lopking for a squirrel, small game load to replace the 22lr during the ".22 lr crisis/shortage". The above load data is not guaranteed to be 100 % accurate information. Please consult a verified published load manual. Best of luck- YMMV - Caster
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Master
    Thanks. We are going to try 10gr of RL-7 first. The Lyman cast bullet manual has it at 1757 fps but the thing I liked most was it's only 12,500 CUP

The faster powers produce the same velocity but at 10,000 CUP higher pressure.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    Thanks. We are going to try 10gr of RL-7 first. The Lyman cast bullet manual has it at 1757 fps but the thing I liked most was it's only 12,500 CUP

The faster powers produce the same velocity but at 10,000 CUP higher pressure.

Motor
    I like the fact also that it is not loud at all. Kinda .22 mag like report. Cheap to shoot and the squirrels and crows hate it!!! If I can help any further please hit me up. - Caster
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I use the NOE 225-55 . It runs 62 gr . For quiet , very angry 22 mags 2.5-3 gr of Unique in 223s . 19.0 H322 gets me 2640fps in a Savage 325 , right in the middle of jacketed speeds .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Keep us posted. The longer heavier cast bullets don't always seem to work great in the .222 because of the slow twist rate. Maybe at that lower speed you're after they will work better.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180117_195450.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	233526
    Here is one of my early groups in my quest. Using the load mentioned in previous post. Albeit only at 25 yards at the time , but it showed me I was on the right path. - Caster

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I use the NOE 225-55 . It runs 62 gr . For quiet , very angry 22 mags 2.5-3 gr of Unique in 223s . 19.0 H322 gets me 2640fps in a Savage 325 , right in the middle of jacketed speeds .
    Harter66, you running those 2640fps loads with checks I am guessing? I have a 55 gr. FN GC Lyman mould that I have yet to shoot with checks. Just curious. - Caster

Boolit Master
    The rifle is a new Howa 1500 with the compact action. The rifle isn't compact just the action is. It's a pretty nice action and is magazine fed.

This is a .222 Rem as mentioned above. The rate of twist is 1in9 so I don't think I'll have any issues with stability.

It's probably going to be a couple weeks before we get a chance to shoot it. I've got one more weekend of PA flintlock season to hunt and it's actually supposed to snow this weekend as well.

I'll definitely post results when I get them.

Motor

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    The rifle is a new Howa 1500 with the compact action. The rifle isn't compact just the action is. It's a pretty nice action and is magazine fed.

This is a .222 Rem as mentioned above. The rate of twist is 1in9 so I don't think I'll have any issues with stability.

It's probably going to be a couple weeks before we get a chance to shoot it. I've got one more weekend of PA flintlock season to hunt and it's actually supposed to snow this weekend as well.

I'll definitely post results when I get them.

Motor
    Nice to see you around again Motor . Try to leave us a few deer and hope you get some decent weather for the last weekend , keep yer powder dry !

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Lee has made two molds in 22 cal. The old "soup can" style drops at 53 gr from my mold while the newer model drops from mold at 58 gr. Both of my 222's (and my Hornet) seem to prefer the old style at slower velocities (1400 -1600) and the newer style at higher velocities (1900-2100).