Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 45-70 for competition?

Boolit Buddy
    I shot my pp loads and my greaser
    Load at turkeys at a practice one day. The pp load
    Required less sight adjustment for the changing conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think a 16-twist hurts anything and probably helps in many ways. I have stayed with 18-twist because it's what I know and I can make it work very well for me. I avoid things I don't know and are hard to change if I can't make it work. These days I experiment a lot less than I used to. I do continue to make small adjustments to my loading, the way I set up to shoot a match and my wiping procedure. Though that last one is pretty well settled now, bore pigs work.
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

Black powder paper patching is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Boolit Buddy
    I hear ya. Your loads work great anyway so there isn’t really any need for anymore experimenting anyways.

Banned

no barrel leading and no concern over max OAL is what i like about PPB cartridges. i found that making a PPB round that works reasonably well isn't all that hard to accomplish. but consistent accuracy beyond that, that's the real challenge, at least for me. it's just different and more demanding than greasers and bp, or greasers and smokeless. still beats messing with "lazy man" guns.

Ian those are good looking holes, Sure makes a feller feel good when you go down range and see that your rifle is capable to do that.

Boolit Buddy
    Kinda makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy.

When someone says that black powder is dirty or hard to get to work and that paper patching is labor intensive, I always answer that I enjoy the process as much or more than the shooting. BPCR is a sport of almost infinite variables and has more things that can go wrong or just don't work from the start than any other shooting sport I've tried. If you don't enjoy the process, the journey, then you are probably better off playing golf! Or maybe a shooting sport where you just buy the ammo or everybody shoots the same bullet and load out of nearly identical rifles made mostly of plastic and parkerized metal may be better suited to you.

Me, I enjoy the process and the journey is the destination. I have simplified the process and done it enough times, over and over again, that I could do it all, except maybe the shooting part, with my eyes closed.

If you watched me load my paper patch bullets for a match you would be amazed how simple it is to do and like me you would wonder why everybody doesn't do it that way!
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

Boolit Buddy
    Jim you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. I am dumbfounded as to why everyone isn’t doing this. BP people are an awesome group of people. Once ya get the hang of it pp and black powder really isn’t bad at all. It is very fun and rewarding. I know you say it all the time but ya gotta match the bullet to the chamber.

Snowing again today about 8-9" so I cast 300 .40 caliber bullets and sitting here watching a recording on Gold prospecting and wrapping the bullets.
    With all the snow we had and it snowed when it was cold making it a dry light cover lucky the winds are quiet or it would be drifting worse than it is.

Kurt,

We aren't getting the snow, but it is cold here. It started out at -22 this morning and slowly warmed to about 8 above, so this afternoon I grabbed my .22 and headed out to see how shooting would go.

I had to take the scope of the C. Sharps so I could put it on the .22 and the front mount was as loose as it could be. That might explain why that last target I shot for the postal 800 match started out good but went bad half way thru! I may never have more than finger tightened that mount. It never loosened up before.

Anyway, the .22 shooting didn't go too well, you set the bar too high with your CPA. It will be difficult to get close to what you were able to shoot. I did have 8 in about 3-3 1/2 inches but two leaked way out and the group was high right of center so the measurement would have been way high. I decided not to bother measuring and I about froze my toes so after a bit more shooting I headed back to the house and the warmth of wood heat, ahhhhh! Tomorrow is supposed to be colder yet so maybe I'll try again.

You probably should have held that good target back a few days, maybe a week so the rest of us would have posted something. Now I don't see the point. You need to learn to set us up before you take us down!
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

I just looked what we had for weather over night and it said a -14 and right now it's up to -4. I piled up some snow with the 6' snow blower the other day to test the new alloy mix I just made for the upcoming match season and shot 30 rounds with different loads but I patched them undersized and used a blow tube, just to cold to handle wet patches. I guess maybe I will start using those pigs like you are.
    Well as far as the Postal shoot, you saw what happen with my .44-100 20# rifle, I fell on my face that day at the bottom of the heap. You set that bar very high with your score!! but that makes it interesting and I hesitated turning it in but we all have good and bad days behind the buttplate and the older I get I seem to get a lot more bad. I should have loaded fresh loads because they were several years old and were out in some hot weather. The .22 has always excepted most ammo I have shot through it and you saw the first target with the 18-1/4" string shot score and that is mostly average for 200, a little higher but close because a couple shots got away from me because of cold fingers but the (natural point of aim) saved my butt The second 11-3/4 went well but this is about what the Norma match shoots by average.

Last falls match at Cadillac MI. shooting Rons midrange match I used the .40-65 to see how it will work for the reason I build it and it started good after finding the paper because I never shot that rifle with a scope mounted on it and going for score it started to scatter like a shotgun and after round 6 at the 600 yard the rear mount came off with the scope hanging to one side and I finished with a 40 but before the scope came off I thought maybe I made a mistake with this rifle.
    Going ahead to the 500 I shot two sighters and had to go for score and every two shots I had to tighten the mount screw but I shot two mid 90 to finish the match. So I know what loose mounts can do. I told MVA I had a problem with the new scope and a couple days later they sent me a new parts to fix it.

I've never had it loosen up before so I'm thinking I just didn't tighten it down at the start, just finger tight. There are so many ways to screw up and I thought I had found them all...…, not even close it seems!
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

Boolit Master
    Thanks Ian.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Ever hear of a guy named Murphy?

Yes, I know him well!
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

Boolit Man
    Hi Lead Pot and Distant Thunder,
    What is the 22 match you two are talking about. It sounds like a string match. Is it by chance a postal match? Where can I read up about it?
    Thx, Jeff

Jeff,

You'll find the .22 postal match on the Shiloh forum. Rules and such are there, not too far back, maybe a week or two ago under Shooter to Shooter I think.
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345