Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you use for Reloading Press Ram Lubricant?

Banned
    I was getting sticky oil when using canola oil...(was using it for everything) So I stopped using that and started using light synthetic motor oil on my press...works good. Also noticed that transmission fluid works ON EVERYTHING. So I am using that now...One oil to rule them all...And I prefer Synthetic Transmission fluid.

Boolit Master

I use Lucas Red, but I do clean my ram at least once per month. My RCII is a very old one and is still good and tight. I also pull the linkage pins and use the same lube on them about every 3 months.

Rem oil or clp gun oil. If it’s good enough for my guns it ought to be ok for my presses. Clean off the nasties every so often and reapply.

Boolit Master

Years ago, I read in my RCBS manual to use gun oil. So I did, and it has worked for all of the presses I've owned over the years. So a bottle of Hoppes gun oil sits on the shelf above the bench.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Mobile one.

What weight and type of Mobil 1 do you use.

The recommendation from my press manufacturer was 30W

Boolit Buddy
    LEE has recommended STP Oil Treatment for years to lube the ram on their various presses.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Solothurn View Post
    Breakfree CLP.
    Ditto
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pls1911 View Post
    Hmmm How about "WHATCHAGOT"?
    Marvel
    ATF,
    Ed's Red,
    Mobile 1
    3-in-1.
    Remoil.
    Mil Surp cleaner/lub

I tend towards those lubricants which also have solvent action, which chases out the old leaving the new.
    Whatever is close at hand generally does the job needed.
    That ^
    The trick is to not let the ram go dry or get fouled. My new Redding T7 and my 35 year old Lee turret press both get the same treatment and both run smooth as silk with no play in the ram.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Military CLP (BreakFree). It is great for the ram and pins/pivot points.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Just my opinion, based on some knowledge. I used Rem Oil on a rifle to season the bluing after I built and hot blued it. I learned that the life of it as an oil is about 48 hours after which all you have is the leftover Teflon. Even wet, it is too thin for use in heavy load applications. I also saw a recommendation for Kroil. While Kroil is an oil I don't consider it a lubricant. I once lubed a boolit with Kroil and tried to run it through my Star sizer. It locked up tighter than any lock up I have ever had with that sizer. Kroil is IMO the finest penetrant available so it's not that I dislike the stuff; it's just not a lube to me.

Heavy, slow motion calls for a heavier lube. Faster motion calls for an oil. Reloading presses move slowly but a grease would pick up too much trash. I use a synthetic motor oil but if I didn't have any on hand automatic transmission fluid is a good second place product. I know several people that lube high end USPSA pistols with either Mobil 1 or ATF. Neither gums up.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Banned
    I use ATF on my press rams, always have, always will. Edd's Red, ATF, and Ballistol is all I need to keep everything working from tools to range to woodlot to hunting fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    What weight and type of Mobil 1 do you use.

The recommendation from my press manufacturer was 30W
    I use 5W20 same as my 6 liter chevy pickup engine. I save the drippings from the bottles when I change oil in the truck and use it for just about all lubrication on my guns too. But a quart goes a long way. I have one of these I put it in for precise placement. You might be able to find it locally at a cabinet builders supply shop.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod44434.aspx
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    If you're like me and all you use is a Dillon SDB, the Delrin wave bearings for the ram are self lubricating. The moving parts of the linkage to the handle get an application of Slide Glide, which lubricates well, stays put and lasts a long time (basically until I take the press apart in detail, which only happens once in a blue moon).

Mobil 1 synthetic grease.

Boolit Bub
    My Classic turret has the little spot a pump oiler fits into, it gets 30wt dino oil. The classic cast deserves better, it’s sitting out there fouled from a long run of decapping. I’m going out and cleaning it up and just might give it a coat of the recommended STP. Thanks for the inspiration!

I should be embarrassed at how dirty I let it get!

Mark

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123