WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Canadian Classic!!!--just kidding

Boolit Buddy
    Funny you mention that article as I just read it again yesterday. About 8 years back I was trying to find some information on a Cooey that I have. It took some effort but I finally managed to strike it lucky and was put in touch with Cooey's granddaughter. She provided me with some valuable family history on the Cooey empire. We are still in touch.

Boolit Grand Master

I have 5 Cooey 12 ga. shotguns with one cut down for a slug gun. I've got a bit of a soft spot (between my ears?) for Cooey's. Simple and dependable.

Most of mine ar eplain old Cooey's but I have one with walnut stock and colour case hardened receiver. I didn't know they came in "fancy" version.

If the choke has been opened up you may be able to muzzleload plastic shotcups and round balls. Depending on muzzle diameter and shotcup 0.662" to 0.678" should be good fits. I cloth patch 0.662" RB's into shotcups in hulls for my cartridge 12 ga. and they shoot well. 0.678" RB's fit well is several standard plastic shotcups.

Alternately, a donut wad pushed part way in then a round ball with over shot wad should work well too.

I'd also look at a hollow base slug like the Lyman Foster (though I hate my Lyman Foster mould) over card and lubed felt wads. If soft lead it may obturate to fill the bore like a Minnie ball. If too small then you could get it machined with driving bands so suit the muzzle. If there is still some choke that slug will squeeze down no problem.

Looks like a fun project!

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Hi longbow. The original Cooey shotguns, which were the model 84, all had walnut stocks and steel, case colored receivers. On most though, the case coloring has worn away. After Winchester took over, they started putting on plain hardwood stocks.
    The muzzles on my gun measure about .715.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll have to get all mine out of the safe and look. I was pretty sure I had a couple of 84's that had the plain hardwood (birch?) stocks, cast trigger guards and plastic forearm spacers but maybe they are 840's.

I have the one that is "fancy". All the rest are plain Jane. One had a steel forearm spacer I know because I took it off to put it on my slug gun after the plastic one broke. I am pretty sure the stock is plain hardwood but... I'll check.

You've got me curious now! I like my old Cooey's. I'm almost sorry I cut one down as a slug gun but it has served me well. My first shotgun was a used 12 ga. Winchester Cooey 840 which I had for many years. That one got sold or given away, can't recall, then I bought another one several years later. I wound up cutting that one down for a slug gun. Later I found most of a used Pachmayr Power Pac screw in choke system but missing the muzzle brake. I made a muzzle brake in high school machine shop and had a screw in choke system on the Cooey back in the 70's. I traded that one to a friend after several years.

I was Cooeyless for many years but no more!

Longbow

PS: Cooeys are a Canadian classic!
    Last edited by longbow; 01-13-2019 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added PS

Boolit Buddy
    Brings back memories, my first shotgun bought from a friend in high school was Cooey made in Canada by Winchester stamped on it. It was a 12ga. with 36 inch barrel, 3in. mag. no pad. It killed on one end and maimed on the other lol, I shot a lot of ducks with it. Were these sold in the states, or was it brought to the Texas gulf coast by someone?

Boolit Man

That's brilliant!
    Because freedom isn't free....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by danmat View Post
    Brings back memories, my first shotgun bought from a friend in high school was Cooey made in Canada by Winchester stamped on it. It was a 12ga. with 36 inch barrel, 3in. mag. no pad. It killed on one end and maimed on the other lol, I shot a lot of ducks with it. Were these sold in the states, or was it brought to the Texas gulf coast by someone?
    I would almost bet that someone took it to Texas. I know Cooey exported firearms to Australia but I actually never heard of them being exported to the US.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12