Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: redding bushing die

Boolit Master

redding bushing die

just revieved (used) redding 308 bushing die. it has the depriming pin and inside neck plug. would it not be counter productive pulling the neck plug back thru the bushing sized neck??

Boolit Grand Master

Yes it can be counter productive. You have the option of using it with or without the sizing button. If you don't use the sizing button you need to have brass with the same neck wall thickness. I use them both ways. On my prairie dog 223 loads I use a neck bushing that will give me .002" neck tension on my thinnest cases. I do use a carbide button with these so I maintain consistent neck tension for the cases with thicker necks. For my long range competition ammo I don't use a sizing button, however, that brass has all the same neck thickness and generally it gets annealed very loading.

http://redding-reloading.com/online-...s-bushing-dies

The decapping rod is supplied with a standard size button. This is especially useful for reloaders who are using commercial brass as is.

A decapping pin retainer is also supplied with most Type S - Bushing Dies except 17 and 20 Cal. This enables neck sizing without the use of the size button for those who sort and/or turn case necks for uniformity.

http://redding-reloading.com/online-...ze-button-kits
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-05-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

What a lot do is find the bushing that just sizes the thinnest necks enough for desired tension. Then the expander ball opens up thicker brass to where it should be. Doing it this way saves a lot of up and back sizing that's normally done. The big thing these die sets do is allow for tuning neck wall tension with tuned and uniformed brass. It dosnt make a real big difference but sometimes a little lighter or heavier tension shaves a few hundredths of off group size. I found this to be true with my tight necked 243 win.
    Pick up bushing in .001 increments .003 either side of what you thing you need And test them. With the majority of your brass by maker is sized and lightly touches the expander your at a good starting point. 308 win brass can vary from.0125 down to around .0105 from what I have measured

Boolit Master
    thanks guys. my main concern is to get longer case life on some hard to get brass; 303 brtish, 30-40 krag and some others. i can use the 308 and 30-06 bushing dies on several calipers if i don't use the expander button