Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: FNS 40 recoil?

Boolit Master

FNS 40 recoil?

i recently purchased a 40 and tried some Blue Dot. I was shooting 8.0 of BD and 170 cast bullet.i realize its a warm/hot load but the recoil and blast isnt pleasant. I was wondering instead of a reduced load of BD is there a powder that would give me less felt recoil.The gun is really snappy. i bought it just because but if i dont feel some love its going down the road.any suggestions

Boolit Master

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook shows 4.5 gr Bullseye behind 180 gr bullet at 946 fps. They show a load with 231 at 901. I got in on a group buy for a 6-cavity 150 gr TC maybe a decade ago. That reduced recoil and alloy consumption too. My light loads were with Red Dot, which is bulkier than Bullseye.

Boolit Master
    I use Titegroup in my small pistol rounds, no complaints but I don't have a 40. 40's are known to be a little snappy. Functionality may be compromised if one reduces loads too much.

Boolit Master
    My go to 40SW load is Red Dot/Promo 4.1 gr under 170 gr. cast (Lyman 401043). Chronys @ 980 fps. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot in my G22

Boolit Grand Master
    My carry load in 40 S&W is the WWB 180 grain JHP. These clock ~925 FPS from the Glock 23 and ~965 FPS from the CZ-75B. Using the Lee 40-175-TC (conventional lube groove) atop 4.7 grains of WW-231 in W-W cases with either CCI-500 or WSP primers gives ~975 FPS in the CZ, which closely duplicates carry-ammo recoil and downrange targeting. Bullet is seated with .020" of forward drive band exposed above the case mouth.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    A small charge of quick burning powder like Bullseye is the prescription for me. I like to attain about 900 ps in full sized guns. This gives some reduction in recoil compared to factory 180s yet not so much that practice relevance is compromised.

WST also shows promise in such a role, bulks well, and a charge is easy to see in the case due to the light color of the powder and case space used which gives some peace of mind in volume loading. Fairly rare to find a powder that both bulks well and meters well. Usually the two are at odds. At firing the powder has an interesting but not offensive slightly peppery smell.

Boolit Grand Master

With my M&P .40 I've tried several powders including Unique, Promo, Bullseye, Titegroup etc. I've had pretty good luck with Power Pistol but it is kinda flashy.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    4.1 grains Bullseye under the 175 Lee. Clocks 900 fps in my Glock 22, easy to shoot, and accurate. I really dont see what an extra 100 fps is going to gain for you other than recoil.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Here is my minor power factor load I run in my CZ75.
    3.1 clays, 180clad, 736fps

Buy a reduced spring if available or an extra stock spring and start clipping coils until it functions with one hand.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master
    Blue dot is a powder that likes to be run hot, you reduce them and end up with alot of unburned powder. I have found power pistol to be a good 40 powder, as well as Silhouette. Books shows longshot as a good one, not tried it yet.

I bought a 9mm barrel for my FNS40, and a chamber reamer for 357, those are a bit snappy.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I bought a 9mm barrel for my FNS40, and a chamber reamer for 357, those are a bit snappy.
    I have only fired one 357 SIG, that was a P-226. Impressive cartridge for sure, and 14 357 Magnum-equivalent loads on deck is a great idea.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think the .40 S&W is a dandy cartridge, just not as it is usually loaded. My .40's pretty much duplicate .38-40 or .44 Special ballistics, in an easy to shoot platform that holds 15 shots. What's not to like?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    357 Magnum-equivalent loads
    Close, but no cigar

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    Close, but no cigar
    The clocked velocities for both calibers with 125 grain bullets are very close. SIG-Sauer's intent was to provide the same ballistics in an autopistol that the FBI's approved Federal #357B load churned up. The same day I fired the 357 SIG x 125 grainers and clocked them at avg. velocity of 1415 FPS from the P-226's 4.4" barrel the Federal #357B put out 1425 FPS from my 686 x 4" barrel. I thought the claim was BS also. In this limited sense, with one bullet weight, they perform almost identically. Is it THE SAME as 357 Magnum? Not hardly.

Boolit Master
    357 sig comes real close to a 125 gr factory 357 mag load, but in a shorter barrel. 357 needs lots of slow powder long barrel, the sig does it with less powder and less barrel. And while a revolver holds 6, most autos hold 14.

I see now they offer a 357 sig barrel, at the time only way was get the 9mm barrel and ream it. Then for a while di dnot even offer those. Odd as the mags are marked 357-40, but FN never offered a 357. Did the same with a 1911, 357 sig barrels are not easy to find or cheap. I reamed a cheap 9mm barrel.

Boolit Master
    The clocked velocities for both calibers with 125 grain bullets are very close.
    The 357 loaded with H110 and a 125 will outrun the SIG by a significant margin. True with faster powders they run close but you have more options with the 357. No comparison.
    Last edited by str8wal; 01-08-2019 at 04:54 PM.